The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (1 Viewer)

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
What he said was pretty hilarious I have to say. "Long live Italy"? lol :)

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Komit said:
FUCKEN HELL! France made it through. That's disgusting. Spain choked again, but this time I really feel for them. France is ugly in all respects. Ugly football, ugly players. (WTF is up with the side of Ribery's face?!)
Car crash when he was a kid.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
As a response to the previous pages' discussion...

In football, Australia > China. I don't see China qualifying for the WC in a long, long time.

- L1n -

HSC
matt#1 said:
...Are you seriously trying to tell us that it will be harder to qualify through Asia? You've got to be kidding?!!?! :confused: .

Yes, now that we are part of the Asian Confederation we will have to play more competitive matches to qualify than we used to...but 4 teams from the Asian Confederation can qualify for the World Cup..and we are arguably the best team in the confederation already. In any case, along with South Korea, Japan and probably Iran, we are certainly one of the top 4 sides...and playing a few competitive matches against Asian sides like China and Bahrain certainly sounds alot more attractive than having to play against the 5th ranked South American side every 4 years.

As for how we will perform at the Asian Cup? ... Our World Cup campaign has certainly shown Asia and the rest of the world what we are capable of. I expect us to do very well in the Asian Cup and quite possibly win it. I bet those Asian nations are already shaking in their boots at the very thought of having to face such a physical and technically-sound side like the Socceroos.:)

Eh, even the SBS commentators admitted this time around it's gonna be harder to go thru AFC. And what Australia has achieved is mimicking what senegal did 4 Years ago, they certainly did'nt remake this world cup, so don't assume anything. Not to mention the Australian team is going thru a rebuilding stage, and NO GUUS, the most imporatant formula to Australia's success is no longer there.

Jiga

Its going to be easier via AFC... not having to play the 5th ranked South American side of whatever is a major bonus because thats whats kept us out of it! Uruguay was one of the better chances we had to qualify, in the past we've been up against sides like Argentinia!!! You cannot say its going to be harder for us now.

otay

HSC
I think with 4.5 places up for grabs, Australia has to be a favourite to qualify. Much easier than going over to South America, playing some team up at high altitude. And while Guus was important, his importance lay in the fact he helped our players believe they could reach their potential. They always had that potential, now they believe it they can surely build on recent success, even with the upcoming retirement of current players. As mentioned earlier I'd rather have a few competitive matches against much lesser opponenets than a home and Difficult away leg against a very good South American side.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
haha. so true...

"Huang wasn't all wrong when he descended into his bigoted rant. He said: "Grosso represents the long history and traditions of Italian soccer".

Exactly right.

A long and much abhorred history of diving and seeking to draw "soft penalties" at any cost (including honour).

Nice one Huang!"

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
- L1n - said:
Eh, even the SBS commentators admitted this time around it's gonna be harder to go thru AFC. And what Australia has achieved is mimicking what senegal did 4 Years ago, they certainly did'nt remake this world cup, so don't assume anything. Not to mention the Australian team is going thru a rebuilding stage, and NO GUUS, the most imporatant formula to Australia's success is no longer there.
Yes .. of course, it would send a wonderful message to Japan, China, Korea, Iran, Saudi Arabia and all the other random Asian countries out there if Les Murray was to publicly say, "Australia will find it easier to qualify".

You have to show the opposition respect.

Anyway:

Japan = Reigning Asian Champions.

Australia 3 def. 1 Japan

Enough said.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Saudi Arabia have no players in their squad (to my knowledge) who would be good enough to play in any of the major European leagues, likewise with China, Bahrain and pretty much every Asian country you care to name apart from Japan, Korea and Iran. Now even if we do slip up against one of these and come fifth, we'd still have a relatively soft play off against CONCACAF, especially when compared to facing the 5th placed CONMENBOL country.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
DRAGONZ said:
Anyway:

Japan = Reigning Asian Champions.

Australia 3 def. 1 Japan

Enough said.
Sure, but that was a bi-partisan crowd. And we had pretty much the full complement of our Europe-based players. Plus Guus. Without taking away anything from the Socceroos, that result cannot be put into isolation to suggest we're better than the current Asian powerhouses. The away matches will be extremely crucial. But hey, we've been to Montevideo.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
Saudi Arabia have no players in their squad (to my knowledge) who would be good enough to play in any of the major European leagues, likewise with China, Bahrain and pretty much every Asian country you care to name apart from Japan, Korea and Iran. Now even if we do slip up against one of these and come fifth, we'd still have a relatively soft play off against CONCACAF, especially when compared to facing the 5th placed CONMENBOL country.
I completely agree. Anyone who honestly believes that it will be harder for the Socceroos to qualify through Asia is obviously new to this sport.

Raginsheep

HSC
Besides, Asian offers a much better preparation games than the play against triple figure ranked teams before taking on a South American team route of Oceania;.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
withoutaface said:
Now even if we do slip up against one of these and come fifth, we'd still have a relatively soft play off against CONCACAF, especially when compared to facing the 5th placed CONMENBOL country.
I was watching this debate on Soccernet today, and the wide concensus is that CONCACAF will now lose 0.5 of their allocation, dropping from 3.5 to 3. Costa Rica, T+T, and USA all finished bottom of their Groups, accumulating 2 points in total. Only Mexico made it into the 2nd Round.

That half a spot plus another half from somewhere, very possibly Asia (only Australia made it past the Group stage), will go to Africa, being the next host continent. So as it turns out, we need to be in Asia's Top Three. We may not have half-a-spot to fall back on if the need arises, which it shouldn't.

Last edited:

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Paragon said:
I was watching this debate on Soccernet today, and the wide concensus is that CONCACAF will now lose 0.5 of their allocation, dropping from 3.5 to 3. Costa Rica, T+T, and USA all finished bottom of their Groups, accumulating 2 points in total. Only Mexico made it into the 2nd Round.

That half a spot plus another half from somewhere, very possibly Asia (only Australia made it past the Group stage), will go to Africa, being the next host continent. So as it turns out, we need to be in Asia's Top Three. We may not have half-a-spot to fall back on if the need arises, which it shouldn't.
Why top three?

Asia have 4.5 spots now .. don't they?

Japan, South Korea, Iran, and Saudi Arabia all made it through to the World Cup. And Bahrain lost their qualifier to Trinidad and Tobago.

So that's 4.5.

Take the half-spot away, and that's four places for Asia.

Which *should* leave room for Australia, Japan, South Korea, and Iran/Saudi Arabia/China .. you would think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)