The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (1 Viewer)

^___^
HSC
maniche said:
then who is better? if he isnt the best, he is probably one of the best defenders in the world, come on, you have to be pretty good to be picked by that prick Murinho.
and Drogba too? :O

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
maniche said:
then who is better? if he isnt the best, he is probably one of the best defenders in the world, come on, you have to be pretty good to be picked by that prick Murinho.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Let me name one person, Wes Brown.

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
politik, Serbia plays a style that frustrates it's opponents. The Dutch team, in particular, have a lot of trouble in breaking down stubborn defences. Serbia are definitely a dark horse in the group, but they are by far a better team than Ivory Coast and can definitely beat Netherlands and Argentina.

As I said earlier, it comes down to who plays better on the day and overall, each team has the ability to play better than the other in this group, despite the obvious differences in individual and collective talent.

HSC
i would've liked to see kahn as first choice keeper for germany, but i hear lehmann is doing a great job at arsenal.

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
Brazil easily have the best squad, but seeing as its in Germany, I think the cup is going to a European club. I know there will be upsets, ones there is no way that we will see coming, and its still a long, long way away, but my early tip is the Netherlands.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
politik said:
Dont agree with you. Ivory Coast are better than Serbia by a mile and - dare I say it - can beat the Dutch and Argentina easily if on their game.
Player for player, I would much rather be supporting Serbia than Ivory Coast. The Africans definitely have the exuberance, but they'll have to experience a Senegalese run to go far in the tournament. By that, I mean that the opposition will have to under-perform, and they will have to play out of their skins.

We have to go back to one of your past quotes:

politik said:
They have world class players. But they don't have the experience that established teams like Brazil, Italy and England have. There are alot of ifs - but I dont think Serbia can top Netherlands, Argentina or Ivory Coast - who are the best team in Africa.
So, now to continue the argument.

I refer to Ivory Coast and say:

They have world class players. But they don't have the experience that established teams like Brazil, Italy and England have. There are a lot of ifs ..

I agree that Ivory Coast are the best team in Africa at the moment.

But I definitely don't agree that they have the potential to beat Serbia, Argentina and The Netherlands, if those three teams play to their ability.

They aren't strong enough in defence. Evidence is the fact that they conceded 7 goals in their 10 qualifying games, which included a total of four matches against Libya and Benin .. take away these crap teams, and that's 7 goals in 6 matches.

In contrast, Serbia only copped one goal in ten games. Take away the crap teams (Lithuania and San Marino), and that's 1 goal in 6 games. If you think Bosnia, Spain and Belgium are crap, then god help Australia!

Put succintly, if all four teams play to their abilities, Ivory Coast will not advance.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
I certainly don't think Ivory Coast are the best African team, that should go to Cameroon, but they aren't at the World Cup, oh well.

It'll be hard to see em go past the group stage, Serbia & Montenegro would be a very hard team to beat. The current Dutch squad ain't the best quality and I wouldn't be surprised if the Serbz do oust em and qualify into the round of 16.

Best ever African team would be the Cameroon lionz of Italia '90.

johnny_87

HSC
A few points:

Since Lippi took over the helm in Italy, they have performed very well, beating Germany 4-1 and (admittedly under-strength) The Netherlands 3-1. Not much is expected of them either, which is how they like it. They are Dark Horse #1.

The Netherlands, as usual, have a strong side, however, the experience is not there in defence. However, under Van Basten, they have managed to reach #3 in the world (the in-fighting of the past seems to have dissipated as well), so obviously play very well as a team. I'd like to see them win it if Brazil don't.
And to whoever made the comment regarding Huntelaar, I doubt he will play alongside RVN. The Dutch system is very much a 4-3-3, with 2 wingers either side of the main striker. Robben will be one with Sneijder or Van der Vaart the other.

Argentina have a very strong side as well, but need certain players (particularly Heinze) to be fit to mount a serious tilt at the cup. On paper, they have the 2nd best team behind Brazil I would think.

Portugal have also been playing very well lately, however, their lack of a world-class striker (I think Pauleta starts) could be their downfall when it comes to the crucial chance that can decide a big match. As well as Carvalho. :lol:
(and Andrade is most liekly out with a broken leg)

I see the Czechs haven't been mentioned. They made the semis at Euro 2004, and were probably the most polished side there. Don't forget they are ranked 2nd behind Brazil! They are definitely a good side with great teamwork and organisation, however, I don't think they have the true world-class players who can turn a game in an instant.

England will not get past the quarters if Sven plays a central midfield of Gerrard and Lampard. Both are attacking players, and this will leave a giant hole in behind
which allows teams to just sit back and counter. To have a chance, England MUST play Carrick in beside Gerrard (for me, he is more complete than Lampard). I think Lampard and SWP/Lennon would be good options when chasing a game.

Finally, Brazil have by the best team on paper, and if they play like they did at the Confederations Cup, where they destroyed Argetina 4-1 in the final, the Cup should be theirs. However, bar Ronaldinho, most of the regular starters haven't been in their best form of late, so who knows? (IMHO, Parreira is too conservative. He will stick with Carlos when he should play Serginho, and Juninho should at least make the bench).

Last edited:

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
johnny_87 said:
I see the Czechs haven't been mentioned. They made the semis at Euro 2004, and were probably the most polished side there. Don't forget they are ranked 2nd behind Brazil! They are definitely a good side with great teamwork and organisation, however, I don't think they have the true world-class players who can turn a game in an instant.
Ahh, that's because they are the TRUE dark horse.

A powerhouse midfield, with Baros up front to finish off movements.

Wouldn't mind seeing them get to the latter stages of the tournament.

I think the Czechs and the Italians will advance from Group E, leaving USA and Ghana kicked out.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
maniche said:
Carvalho is the best defender in the world?

bahahahahaha:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

manich said:
who is better?
hmmm...I could go on for days. For a start...John Terry, his central defensive partner is waaaaaay better.

maniche said:
you have to be pretty good to be picked by that prick Murinho
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ....you're seriously killing me. Drogba; Kezman; Del Horno, etc...are really good:confused:

I think that the true underdog of the tournament could be France. They have not rated a single mention in this thread so far...and yet they have in their squad a truly world-class player like Henry who is capable of winning games by himself (just look at Arsenal in the Champions League this season). Henry has a less then impressive record for France... their recent results have not been promising...and their last world cup campaign was a disappointment to say the least.....but a team with a strikeforce consisting of Henry, Trezeguet, Saha, Wiltord, etc...surely deserves to at least be mentioned?

Last edited:

johnny_87

HSC
Tomas Rosicky is a very good creative mid. I don't know why only Atletico Madrid are reported to be trying to sign him from Borussia Dortmund.

Like I said, I think their lack of a truely world-class game-breaker could be crucial, and it certainly showed vs Greece at Euro 2004.

Brazil have Ronaldinho, Kaka, Juninho, Ronaldo, Adriano and Robinho.
Argentina have Crespo, Tevez, Messi and Riquelme.
Italy have Totti, Toni, Del Piero and Gilardino.
England have Rooney (if he's there), Owen and Gerrard.

I'm not so sure (apart from Nedved) Rosicky, Koller and Baros are quite in that class, but I'd like to see them do well. A very professional and disciplined side. (Will be putting $ on them to reach the semis perhaps - it depends who finishes 2nd in their group and faces Brazil in the 2nd rd)

johnny_87

HSC
Carvalho? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So that's why Mourinho is reportedly begging Barca and Real Madrid to sign him? Yet another of Mourinho's flops (along with Del Horno, SWP and Maniche).

johnny_87

HSC
Matt I was waiting for someone to pick up on the fact I left out Germany and France. Beware Germany, as they are at home, although don't have many top players, apart from Ballack, Podolski and (arguably Klose or Borowski).

France, however, have plenty of world-class players, yet I don't see them progressing past the quarters (although their draw up until there is quite easy). Their problem lies with their coach. He seems to likely to pick the reputations ahead of form players. Guys like Giuly and some of the Lyon players should be picked. I'm not so sure they have it in them to win it.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
johnny_87 said:
Carvalho? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So that's why Mourinho is reportedly begging Barca and Real Madrid to sign him? Yet another of Mourinho's flops (along with Del Horno, SWP and Maniche).
perhaps we are being a bit harsh to Carvalho. He is a pretty solid defender and Mourinho is only really trying to get rid of him because of his supposed attitude problems and the squabble they had earlier in the season.

...but to say he is the best in the world? I can't help myself....

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

johnny_87

HSC
He is pretty solid but not the best in the air. Yakubu and Boro exposed his aerial weakness when they thrashed the Chavski rent boys 3-0.

But when they paid 19.5m pds for him, he has to be considered a bit of a flop, as does Essien actually.

Last edited:

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
johnny_87 said:
Tomas Rosicky is a very good creative mid. I don't know why only Atletico Madrid are reported to be trying to sign him from Borussia Dortmund.

Like I said, I think their lack of a truely world-class game-breaker could be crucial, and it certainly showed vs Greece at Euro 2004.

Brazil have Ronaldinho, Kaka, Juninho, Ronaldo, Adriano and Robinho.
Argentina have Crespo, Tevez, Messi and Riquelme.
Italy have Totti, Toni, Del Piero and Gilardino.
England have Rooney (if he's there), Owen and Gerrard.

I'm not so sure (apart from Nedved) Rosicky, Koller and Baros are quite in that class, but I'd like to see them do well. A very professional and disciplined side. (Will be putting $ on them to reach the semis perhaps - it depends who finishes 2nd in their group and faces Brazil in the 2nd rd)
Portugal had no lack of world class game-breakers, but it certainly didn't show vs Greece at Euro 2004.

Greece went along a divine path in that tournament, played the matches of their lives, and had everything go right for them. Their record SINCE Euro has been far less than inspiring .. they aren't even at Germany.

If the Czechs had played Portugal in the Final, my money would have been on Baros' boys.

A champion team is better than a team of champions.

Brazil are about the only side to consistently disprove this .. Chelski will only have two Premier League titles to show for the 1.3 billion Pounds or so spent on them in the last two seasons. No FA Cups, no European titles ..

Two of the last three NRL Premiers have been teams who were touted as potential Wooden Spooners at the start of the season.

On that note, expect Saudi Arabia to come from nowhere and win the World Cup without a problem!

matt#1

HSC
N/A
DRAGONZ said:
Two of the last three NRL Premiers have been teams who were touted as potential Wooden Spooners at the start of the season.

On that note, expect Saudi Arabia to come from nowhere and win the World Cup without a problem!
on that note...go back to your beloved NRL thread...

I hope that you once again enjoyed seeing your team get smashed by Melbourne. It almost seems like the dragons have been cursed since losing the grand final in '99.:)

johnny_87

HSC
Dragonz - I know a champion team is better than a team of champions. What I'm saying is that at the World Cup, there are so many top sides that at least one of them will have great teamwork but also the world-class individuals who can turn a game. It is this team (Brazil usually) that will eventually break down even the most well-organised team.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Brazil iz usually the combination of a champion team and a team of championz. Almost every team would play defensive against em in the World Cup and they still manage to score 4 or 5 goalz past em. I still can't get over how good they were at the Confed Cup final. Absolutely devastatin. It kept me awake at 6am in the mornin thatz fo sure and I don't mind wakin up in the middle of the night to watch em play that sort of football.

Czech Republic would've won Euro had Nedved not got injured against Greece, no doubt. And now Rooneyz injured, big worry fo England. They surely can't go far witout Rooney. All talkz of winnin it would be gone.

johnny_87

HSC
If Rooney misses even one group match, I think the odds of Sweden winning the group (3.25) are very good.

Also, Sweden 1st, Paraguay 2nd (as an outside bet) is paying $17!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)