The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (4 Viewers)

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Henry missed a simple header which Trezeguet, or even Saha, would have buried. He just can't score wit his head.

Same goes wit Frei at the other end, LoL.

mecurial

HSC
Zizou still schools them in his old age. Please play forever, Zizou.

Henry going missing once again. Such a shame that he can't produce when it counts.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
LMF^^ said:
Henry missed a simple header which Trezeguet, or even Saha, would have buried. He just can't score wit his head.
I agree. Henry's lack of heading prowess is probably his only weakness. There are still, however, questions about his ability to play on the big stage, and for his country in particular. His scoring rate, for example, is much better for Arsenal than it is for France. I know he has it in him to play well for his country though because he is undoubtably one of the world's most talented strikers. Perhaps he will prove his worth in the 2nd half. I would also like to see Saha come on in the 2nd half because his form for Man United was awesome towards the end of the season. He provides yet another quality attacking alternative for France.

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
matt#1 said:
I almost wish that Togo won now:mad1: . Just joking...she suffered enough yesterday with the Japs losing. Let her enjoy her moment of glory I say...we've all had ours. This is what the world cup is all about. :).
wats korea winning got n e thing to do with jap people?

we koreans are not jap ...

and jap are not koreans,...

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Dingo2004 said:
wats korea winning got n e thing to do with jap people?

we koreans are not jap ...

and jap are not koreans,...
I'm quite aware that Koreans are not Japanese and vice versa....and in fact, I never made such an assumption that Korea winning had anything to do with the Japanese.:confused:

The comment you are referring to was directed towards someone who vocally supported Japan in yesterday's match...and then supported South Korea in today's match...so I made the comment that people should let her have her moment of glory after the South Korean victory. That is all. I never at any time said that Koreans and Japanese are the same and will both, therefore, be disappointed by the Japan loss.

Last edited:

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
i dont know how ribery can be picked ahead of giuly...

gee tonights games have been exciting havnt they, in steep contrast to last night's...

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Constip8edSkunk said:
i dont know how ribery can be picked ahead of giuly...
Domenech obviously applied the same logic (or lack thereof:)) that he applied when he chose Barthez over Coupet.

Constip8edSkunk said:
gee tonights games have been exciting havnt they, in steep contrast to last night's...
That's football. You have to come to expect that. Hopefully Brazil v Croatia will be a blockbuster to make up for the other games.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Putting Saha on instead of Trezeguet? Domenech needs to stop relying on his stars and realise he's living in the real world :S

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
matt#1 said:
I agree. Henry's lack of heading prowess is probably his only weakness. There are still, however, questions about his ability to play on the big stage, and for his country in particular. His scoring rate, for example, is much better for Arsenal than it is for France. I know he has it in him to play well for his country though because he is undoubtably one of the world's most talented strikers. Perhaps he will prove his worth in the 2nd half. I would also like to see Saha come on in the 2nd half because his form for Man United was awesome towards the end of the season. He provides yet another quality attacking alternative for France.
The current French squad lacks pace in attack, and the whole game plan revolves around Zidane, rather than Henry, so obviously he can't make the same kind of play as he does at Arsenal.

Borin game, another 2hrs of study time/sleep I wasted. Observations:

1. Vieira is shit
2. Vieira is shit
3. Ribery can't pass
4. Trezeguet should've played
5. Senderos and Muller were impressive
6. Ref was gay

Result is I'm gettin fucked all over by the World Cup, exam in 2 days and I haven't started studyin.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
LMF^^ said:
Result is I'm gettin fucked all over by the World Cup, exam in 2 days and I haven't started studyin.
erm...maybe you can apply for special consideration on the grounds of being a fanatical football supporter? ... If that dosen't work then perhaps you can tell your lecturers that you are the famous LMF^^ from the BoS football thread, and that you should recieve consideration as a result of such important posting obligations that you have in relation to this thread :). Good luck with the study though. The world cup is causing me similar time management problems.

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
come on brazil! make another 5 goals against the croats.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Wow, even Brazil are playing like absolute shit.

Czechs for the cup :D

otay

HSC
A few thoughts on Brazil game. Firstly there were two ideal situations. One was the Brazil absolutely hammer Croatia to make there goal difference huge. The other was that Brazil play poorly yet still win meaning Croatia remain without points. And I think it was the second case. Brazil probably didn't even deserve to win. This bodes well for us. The Aussies will like they can pull off a result against them. Forget the Croatia game for a second. We can secure our place against Brazil. And anyone who saw Brazil today saw a few major flaws. These include:

1. They have got a great team on reputation. But when was the last time Roberto Carlos, Cafu, Adriano, Ronaldo, Juan, Emerson were even in form???
2. Adriano and Ronaldo are horribly out of form and lack potency. Their major attacking threats still are Kaka and Ronaldinho.
3. Cafu and Roberto Carlos still struggle to get their old legs back in defence after doing their usual attack.
4. Robinho is such a little nancy. I swear he would go down if someone sneezed on him "Oh reffferreeee pelanty ive been killed". Fuck off pussy.
5. The way Brazil came out after half time was embarrasing. I mean how many other professional sides ranked number one in the world act like that in any other sport?? The only time the Australian Cricket team ever acted like that was when we got embarrassed by england last year. It shows poor form by Brazil

So get quietly confident people. Other thing is history is actually against them. They just broke the record for consecutive world cup wins. No team has won 9 world cup games in a row and their streak has to end sometime. I think we can pull off a result and we can put our second round place beyond doubt on Sunday. Think of France, Argentina last world cup.

And on France. What a shame. They do have such a wonderful attack unit who are very bloody quick, but you're right in saying that in general the way they attack is not quick enough. I mean Switzerland are no easy-beats, but you'd at least think a team of France' quality could have scored

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Brazil are notorious slow starters to their WC campaigns, they will no doubt fire up for the Aussie match. I just hope we dont conceded any yellow cards against Brazil, we have some key players risking suspension for the Croatia match if we do.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I reckon against Australia Brazil should get rid of one of their strikers (either one, they both played crap), bring Juninho into the midfield because he's been in spectacular form for Lyon for a very long time, and so play three men behind the striker, while keeping two holding midfielders and four defenders. Australia were exposed out wide many times against the Netherlands, and I think Brazil could do worse than to try the same thing.

otay

HSC
Are Brazil really slow starters (relatively anyway)? If so it doesn't really pertain to the first game, since they are undefeated in their first game of a world cup in more than 70 years. If anything then it refers to their 2nd and 3rd games. And fuck whether they are usually slow starters anyway and then get better. If I were a Brazilian fan I'd be gutted at my team's performance. I mean they had huuuuuuge holes in defence and their overall attitude was poor. Once again I refer to how they came out after half time. They thought they had it wrapped up, and were almost made to pay within first 10 seconds of 2nd half. Either that or they were struggling physically.

Also think back to 98 when Brazil lost to Norway in the first round. Jeez its hard to get you guys pumped. Maybe I try later in week.

And withoutaface, yeah Australia obviously still have weaknesses and going out wide is definetly a route for the Brazilians to score and expose. BUT if they don't score, the players that will get out wide (Cafu and Roberto Carlos) are old and slow and struggle to get back in defence so potentially a few of our boys (Chippers) can get wide and create our own chances. Croatia today showed that Brazil were quite vulnerable on their left side. If it weren't for Lucio dare I say the Croats may have pulled off a victory

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
That's why you play two of Kaka/Dinho/Juninho on the wings, so that before Carlos/Cafu get too far up the field they can pass it on and that way you've still got at least three men in a forward position to take the cross.

otay

HSC
Oh yeah for sure. But I can't see it happening to be honest. I mean Cafu is captain and Roberto Carlos is still treated like a King. Like he's always wanting to take the free kicks when u have a plethora of other players who can convert free kicks whereas Roberto Carlos converts on far fewer occasions. It just shows how much influence he has within the side.

Besides we want Cafu and Roberto Carlos and not Juninho or Dinho or even Cicinho playing in that wide role or Fred. I feel like if they make a change it will be o drop Ronaldo. But they won't likely do that either. Anyway let's try and discuss wat formations we are gonna do, forget Brazil

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)