• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
furthermore, is Mozambique still in it, or did they get knocked out?

otay

HSC
I've heard this before. If he is a doubt, then he wont start but I still wouldn't be surprised to see him come off the bench even if he is struggling just a touch. I just don't know what to expect with Guus anymore. Yeah he's quality but it's not the end all.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
on sbs they said he's missed training: groin injury. you cant play football without balls :( then it becomes a game of foot. who'd pay to see that?
apparently he's undergoing massive physio. I think kewell will come off the bench, so all is not lost.
I'm also thrilled italy is missing 2 great players.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Harry Kewell's injury is a huge blow to Australia. Does his groin ever work properly?

Brett Emerton is also a huge loss for Australia. He has copped alot of criticism in the past, but was one of our best in the game against Croatia and superb down the flanks in the game against Brazil as well. It is good to hear that Nesta is out though. He is an absolute top-class defender.

As for tonight's games...I'm really looking forward to Portugal v Netherlands. I'll predict 2-1 to Portugal in this game, but I accept that Netherlands head into the game as favourites.

As for the England v Ecuador game...I'll predict England 2-1 Ecuador. Carrick will be playing in the holding midfield role tonight. England is the only team that I really care about (other than Portugal and Australia, of course)...so I'm really hoping that tonight will be the night where a team of quality players finally starts to play like a quality team.

Last edited:

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
England to play 4-1-4-1 against Ecuador. Carrick will play MF anchor in front of Rio and Terry, Hargreaves to play RB. Crouch drops to the bench, leaving Rooney as the lone striker, which should be an interesting watch given that he likes to drop back into midfield. Carragher and Neville both injured.

Also, Ecuador's Valencia (#16 from memory) is in the running for the tourney's Best Young Player Award. Was fabulous in the first two matches.

England have been knocked out by South American opponents in both '98 (Argentina) and '02 (Brazil).

matt#1

HSC
N/A
In the Australia v Italy game I read that it is likely that Guus Hiddink will replace the injured Brett Emerton with Luke Wilkshire :S. Hopefully he puts in a much better performance than he did against Japan.

^___^
HSC
matt#1 said:
In the Australia v Italy game I read that it is likely that Guus Hiddink will replace the injured Brett Emerton with Luke Wilkshire :S. Hopefully he puts in a much better performance than he did against Japan.
BRING BACK MUSCAT!!!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
matt#1 said:
lol, if the world cup has taught me anything, everything they say is pure speculation. guus never reveals a line-up up until the last minute. ever. last three games we've also heard many things, that haven't come true.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
mmm or maybe move Jason Culina into Emo's position, anything is possible with GUUUUSSSSSSSSS

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Paragon said:
England to play 4-1-4-1 against Ecuador. Carrick will play MF anchor in front of Rio and Terry, Hargreaves to play RB. Crouch drops to the bench, leaving Rooney as the lone striker, which should be an interesting watch given that he likes to drop back into midfield. Carragher and Neville both injured.
I don't mind that formation at all. Leaving target-man Crouch on the bench will probably limit England's long-ball play...meaning that they might actually have to start playing like a team. Starting Carrick as a holding mid is also a good move by Eriksson because it will free up Lampard and Gerrard to play their natural attacking roles. I'm not particularly worried about Rooney being up front by himself either because Cole, Gerrard and Lampard will now be able to support him without having to worry too much about their respective defensive duties.

Other than Neville missing at RB...I think that this is pretty much England's strongest line-up. It also enables Crouch to come off the bench late in the game as an impact player if needed. This is the role that Crouch should be playing in this England side.

C'mon Portugal and England tonight!!!:) . I think that both Rooney and Ronaldo will have both impressive performances for their respective sides in tonight's games.

sweet_as

Is with all of my people
HSC
politik said:
I've been analysing the Croatia match and i've come to two conclusions:
Kalac's blunder was horrendous but not totally insane, the ball was hit with such power and turn that it bounced up onto Kalac's fingertips and over his body. While it's questionable why Kalac didn't simply catch the ball underneath him in a crouching position - as most goalkeepers would - it's obvious that he was out of position due to the fact that Kovac was weaving his way from side-to-side, hence wrongfooting Kalac before the ball was even struck.

And Australia has made the biggest mistake ever in letting Neeskens go. Watching him sing the national anthem, run onto the pitch in fevourous excitement after Kewell's goal has proved that this man truely had the heart to lead this country.

Can't wait until Lowy hires some English long-ball fuckwit to blunder us out of the next World Cup.
100% agree politik, Lowy and the FFA has fucked up majorly here by going after a supposed "huge"name. Neeskens is the perfect man for the job, not only for his coaching ability, but the way he has taken Australia to his heart. Hopefully we may be able to snare him back after his Barca contract ends!

matt#1

HSC
N/A
bazookajoe said:
I still doubt Rooney will play very well, as he's not fully fit
Yeah, that's true. Expect Cristiano Ronaldo to have a big game though because in addition to wanting Portugal to win...he also wants that young player of the tournament award. He has performed ok so far...and was superb in the game against Iran, but perhaps players like Messi, Fabregas, and perhaps even Ecuador's Valencia are ahead of him at the moment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)