The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (1 Viewer)

mecurial

HSC
Spain, Spain, Spain.

All of a sudden France have risen from drwas against the Swiss and Korea Republic to dominate and send one of the favourites packing. Thoroughly deserved as well. Spain ONCE AGAIN GO MISSING, how can anyone ever trust the Spanish.

Germany v Argentina

Italy v Ukraine

England v Portugal

France v Brazil

6 out of the 7 World Cup winners plus Portugal and the Ukraine. 6 Europeans v 2 South Americans. Couldn't have really asked for better matchups in the quarter finals. Except for the Ukraine, they are a blight on the entire tournament, and for the good of the game in general must be eliminated by Italy. I don't mind seeing sides play tightly, sit back and counter, but the Ukraine simply have no other plan, except to play that foul stifling football.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
That is just heartbreaking for spain :( but once again it was expected - the hungry experienced side beats the inexperienced attacking side. Once again spain fail.

otay

HSC
Well done France, they deserved it in the end. The overall victory that is. The 2nd goal have massive doubts about. The freekick that lead to the result, Thierry Henry must have had lessons from Grosso, that was a shocking dive. I was glad that Zidane scored that beauty at the end anyone to confirm that they actuall deserved to win. Now look at the quarter final match ups! Every team who has ever won the World Cup is there, except for a little team called Uraguay. Poor sods. 3 matches look potentially classic and the other (Italy v Ukraine) may make the world record for people dying of boredom. I really can't predict winners in any of them. It should be great. It's a shame that Spain, Netherlands, Australia, Ghana...sides who have great support, played with passion and heart miss out for a team like the Ukraine, who were thumped 4-0 in their first match by Spain. Blame France for coming 2nd in their group I guess.

otay

HSC
hmm france one of the worst teams in the 2nd round? I actually think they'll give brazil a very good run or their money. Brazil's defence's have been exposed by all opponents, and France actually have the strikers who can finish. And they have been very hard to break down. Spain have a great attack and barely created anything. The only goal in play (so excluding todays penalty) they have conceded was a last minute one against Korea. I think it will be a great game, and Im putting money of France. It will be interesting to see the odds.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Fuck yeah $18 win, glad I didn't take waf's picks on the France v. Spain game, stayed neutral for that one. :p

Jiga

It should be great. It's a shame that Spain, Netherlands, Australia, Ghana...sides who have great support, played with passion and heart miss out for a team like the Ukraine, who were thumped 4-0 in their first match by Spain. Blame France for coming 2nd in their group I guess.
Thats harsh..... Ukraine deserve their spot, bad luck to those other teams if they werent good enough. And being thumped, they also won 4-0 against Saudi Arabia, that argument means nothing!

otay

HSC
Sorry dude I don't find it to be harsh. They go further than Spain and lost to them 4-0 in the first game. How does that argument not mean anything, it highlights it for me. Oh shit they beat the Saudis 4-0. Wow how did they do that? Just give them the world cup, they obviously deserve it. I mean the saudis! Wow!

Don't get me wrong, Fair game to them, you can only beat what's put in front of you...BUT i still find it a shame for a team such as the Dutch or Spaniards who had to come up against Big teams. It's a fair call that has been echoed throughout the world.

Jiga

Sorry dude I don't find it to be harsh. They go further than Spain and lost to them 4-0 in the first game. How does that argument not mean anything, it highlights it for me. Oh shit they beat the Saudis 4-0. Wow how did they do that? Just give them the world cup, they obviously deserve it. I mean the saudis! Wow!
I dont think its a fair gauge of ther ability..... it was their first world cup game and they did play way below their ability.

otay

HSC
Yeah they are good. But by the fair gauge of their ability argument... Holland, Spain and Mexico are all better teams. And I'd like to think Australia and Ghana are every bit as good as them. Like I said, its fair game to them, luck of the draw I guess.

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
FUCKEN HELL! France made it through. That's disgusting. Spain choked again, but this time I really feel for them. France is ugly in all respects. Ugly football, ugly players. (WTF is up with the side of Ribery's face?!)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I still don't understand why Trezeguet isn't starting. I'm now conflicted who I want to win France v Brazil, because I hate them both. Prolly France if Henry actually does something next game.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
withoutaface said:
I still don't understand why Trezeguet isn't starting. I'm now conflicted who I want to win France v Brazil, because I hate them both. Prolly France if Henry actually does something next game.
Haha same here. I hate Brazil slightly more actually. To play ugly counter-attacking football with a squad of such talent is just criminal.

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
Always said:
I just have to say...

ALLEZ LES BLEUS!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

<3

the team might be old, but they can still play.. can't wait for brasil game.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
I still haven't done that $100 centrebet thing...but I still want a free socceroos jersey. I was soooo close last night to putting my whole $100 on Spain @ 2.25 to win in normal time. I thought that they were very good odds considering the form they have been in. I'm so glad I didn't make that bet now :).

matt#1

HSC
N/A
On the topic of Cristiano Ronaldo...Manchester United has strongly denied claims that Ronaldo will be playing for Real next season, saying that "Ronaldo has signed a long term contract until June 2010 and will be a player with Manchester United next season."

Maybe i'm in denial, but I think that the quote from Ronaldo may have been taken out of context. I reckon that he simply stated that he would perhaps like to play for Madrid one day. In any case, a known political tactic in the past has been for presidential candidates to promise big-name signings.

It is a known fact that Ronaldo wants to play in La Liga someday, possibly with Real...and I have nothing against him for this. It dosen't mean that he he won't be fully committed to United in the meantime. It is just a future ambition of his. I just want him to respect the contract that he signed to stay with us until 2010...and I think he will.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)