The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (2 Viewers)

flamingphoenix

HSC
withoutaface said:
It's an algorithm dude :/
are u telling me that fifa is corruption free? lol. and i use that example of the 'oceania automatic place in world cup' to back up that argument

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
flamingphoenix said:
are u telling me that fifa is corruption free? lol. and i use that example of the 'oceania automatic place in world cup' to back up that argument
That's hardly corruption, it's just because we sucked at the time.
And it is an algorithm, and the basic formula is that more important games are worth more points.

• Friendly match x 1.00
  • Continental championship preliminary x 1.50
  • World Cup preliminary match x 1.50
  • Continental championship finals match x 1.75
  • FIFA Confederations Cup match x 1.75
  • World Cup finals match x 2.00
This is why we are low, as we haven't been in a world cup in 32 years. It's also why teams like Nigeria and Mexico are so high, as they are top teams in their respective zones who gain automatic qualification spots.

flamingphoenix

HSC
bazookajoe said:
That's hardly corruption, it's just because we sucked at the time.
And it is an algorithm, and the basic formula is that more important games are worth more points.
  • Friendly match x 1.00
  • Continental championship preliminary x 1.50
  • World Cup preliminary match x 1.50
  • Continental championship finals match x 1.75
  • FIFA Confederations Cup match x 1.75
  • World Cup finals match x 2.00
This is why we are low, as we haven't been in a world cup in 32 years. It's also why teams like Nigeria and Mexico are so high, as they are top teams in their respective zones who gain automatic qualification spots.
well there IS corruption in that south america didnt like having the half of their four-and-a-half spots at the world cup taken away, had a sulk 2 fifa who reinstated the original method...i'd call that corruption (well, not on a grand scale, but corruption nonetheless). so with our record at the world cup we get, what, 3 points? for our 1 win and the draw (just checking if thats right). despite the fact that we beat the best team in asia (japan), drew with the world 22(?) side in croatia, and almost beat the italians...not much progress...

mecurial

HSC
bazookajoe said:
It's also why teams like Nigeria and Mexico are so high, as they are top teams in their respective zones who gain automatic qualification spots.
They played some scintillating football at Germany 2006 as well.

What is the focus on rankings? I don't care if we are 175th if we play the way we did last month.

Italy to qualify this morning. Gattuso, Pirlo and Totti > Kehl, Ballack and Borowski. Italy should have started with Inzaghi as well up front. Two good goalkeepers, it will take something sharp to break the deadlock today. Maybe even another Italian penalty.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
mecurial said:
Italy to qualify this morning. Gattuso, Pirlo and Totti > Kehl, Ballack and Borowski. Italy should have started with Inzaghi as well up front. Two good goalkeepers, it will take something sharp to break the deadlock today. Maybe even another Italian penalty.
The something sharp that will break the deadlock = Klose. He has been extremely impressive in all of his games so far. Italy are certainly capable of qualifying, but I don't believe that they will. Go Germany!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
absolutely marvelous half of football. probably the best i've seen.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
mecurial said:
Two good goalkeepers, it will take something sharp to break the deadlock today. Maybe even another Italian penalty.
Read: an italian dive

EDIT: Oh and i have something like $60+ tied up in this game. I need germany to win :)

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
Paragon said:
Not sure if Greece will feature in the next version of FIFA's rankings, they've been kicked out effective yesterday I think.

.ps. Germany to boot out Italia.
suspended, not kicked out, if the govt. does the right thing this ban should be lifted within a week, but we will see.......

mecurial

HSC
Both sides could be ahead in this match. Certainly living up the the billing, which didn't quite happen when Germany played Argentina.

Maybe Italy have made a few slight defensive errors, or maybe Germany have been simply too good in their attack. Definitely targeting the weak link Grosso, who has shown that he is living up to his diver tag. Best chances of the half falling to Luca Toni and Bernd Schneider.

Still feel that Italy have been better with the ball. Great fluent touches, probably lacking the killer ball for Toni as of yet. Hard to say who will finish better here. Italy should create a chance or two, but Germany may hold on and create a chance or two of their own o the counter. Hopefully the deadlock is broken - teams close up shop in extra time.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
timobr0 said:
suspended, not kicked out, if the govt. does the right thing this ban should be lifted within a week, but we will see.......
shite, what happened?

mecurial said:
Maybe Italy have made a few slight defensive errors, or maybe Germany have been simply too good in their attack. Definitely targeting the weak link Grosso, who has shown that he is living up to his diver tag. Best chances of the half falling to Luca Toni and Bernd Schneider.
I disagree, I think italy has been superior in attack, despite not having many chances in the later part of the first half. Germany haven't had many chances for shots thanks to italy's superior defense. I am thinking italy can't keep this up though. Hopefully.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Yeah, quality first half of football. Maybe only the first half of Argentina v Mexico was of higher quality. Italy look slightly better at this point, mainly due to their dominance of possession, but Germany do look good sharp when they have the ball in their attacking third. Schneider was unlucky not to score as well. I still think that it will be Germany 1-0. C'mon Germany!!!

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
some crap about the govt not letting the Hellenic Football Federation be as independant as it should be by FIFA's regulations

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Brilliant start to the half. I've also noticed that Germany is playing offense like you would in a football video game. Whilst italy is defending like you would in a video game. Almost perfect work from both sides. I am really loving this game.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
its really interesting to see when we'll get some subs. i really want schweinsteiger (sp) to come on

stazi

Nightman
HSC
looks like germany is dominating this half. im thinking it might be settled in the 90 minutes, rather than extra time.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Italy need to bring on Inzaghi. He is always capable of poaching a goal. I would like to see Schweinsteiger as well.

...and how funny is Klinsmann?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
awesome schweinsteiger is in. finally the first sub of the game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)