The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (1 Viewer)

fush

HSC
i agree, against aus it should have been an indirect free kick in the box for obstruction or as FIFA says ''Impeding the Progress of an Opponent''.

And even if Australia was to win the game they should have done it when they were playing 11 against 10, which they didnt.

Italy started playing their best against Ukraine and Germany and finished it off against France

sly fly

HSC
''Why would you say something racist to one of three (?) whites in a team full of blacks?''

A few facts about Zidane:

-Zidane is Algerian (an Arab country)

-Zidane is Muslim

-Zidane's father was a cleaner

-Zidane has a child with a disability (not sure about this one but I've heard he has)

The comment could have been about any of those things (or perhaps something about his mother).

One of the few other white players in the team (Ribery) is also Muslim. So to answer your question, racial comments don't necessarily have to be about colour but can also be about race or religion.

It's sad that Zidane did such a foolish act. Materazzi deserved it though, he is one of the dirtiest players in football. Zidane, on the other hand, is known for his ethical way of playing. Despite losing his temper on occasions, Zidane never fouls anybody nor does he fake injuries - whenever somebody fouls him, he doesn't roll around on the floor like the Italians and fake an injury but gets up right away and goes on his merry way which is one of the things I love about Zizou. It's so sad that his career ended this way but Zidane will hopefully be remembered for his outstanding skill and the beautiful way he plays. He is just such a pleasure to watch on the field - undoubtedly, the greatest player of our time imo.

As for those who talk about Zidane not controlling his temper and so on, I'd like to remind you that Zidane DID control his temper at first while that loser Materazzi continued to insult him but then Materazzi must have said something extremely offensive which hit a raw nerve and broke Zidane's patience. Here's a replay of the incident:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1i_l0OeeMc

Anyhow, I think one person made a very accurate comment:

''If playing fair means taking dives, faking injuries and insulting other players, then sure Italy played fair. What Zidane did was regrettable, but there's only so much somebody can take. He is human after all, which is more than what we can say about most of the Italian players.''

I don't see how anyone can think Italy deserved to win. They do have a strong defence and a good goalkeeper but they are a bunch of cheating, time-wasting, dirty playing fakers.

"Chubby"

HSC
anybody who beats australia on a "technicality"(can't spell....lol) does not deserve to win. Dam...i wanted france to win arrggh

nwatts

HSC
Oh fuck off with justifying Zidane. You just don't pull crap like that, let alone at the biggest sporting event of the year.

I'm glad Italy won. Players like Cannavaro, Buffon and Zambrotta deserve to have a world cup win under their belts. France held the upper hand for so much of the match and did absolutely nothing with it. The first penalty against Italy was just as questionable as the one against Australia.

Mind you Henry played a fantastic game.

sly fly

HSC
Update: Zizou's team members have reported to French media that Zidane was reacting to a racial slur from Materazzi

Zidane acted stupidly and got a red card, fine. But racial insults (in conjunction with holding Zidane) are no better than headbutting. Materazzi has always been a dirty player, I can't believe he's still playing.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
fush said:
And even if Australia was to win the game they should have done it when they were playing 11 against 10, which they didnt.
People should really stop banging on that point, it's redundant. It doesn't just work like that. Just because you have an extra man on the field doesn't make it easier to score. More often than not, it becomes much more difficult to break down a 10-man side. It's a cheap point people like to regurgitate over and over again without any original thought.

To break it right down, typically,
11 men = (2 strikers + 2 AMF) + (2DMF + 4 defenders + GK).
Player "Sendimoff" sees red, so now the
10 men = (1 striker + 1 AMF) + (2DMF + 5 defenders + GK).

Hence, more possession but less chances, see Socceroos v. Italy.

sly fly

HSC
nwatts said:
Oh fuck off with justifying Zidane. You just don't pull crap like that, let alone at the biggest sporting event of the year.

I'm glad Italy won. Players like Cannavaro, Buffon and Zambrotta deserve to have a world cup win under their belts. France held the upper hand for so much of the match and did absolutely nothing with it. The first penalty against Italy was just as questionable as the one against Australia.

Mind you Henry played a fantastic game.
I wasn't justifying Zidane, I was merely giving reasons - there's a difference. And no, Italy didn't deserve to win at all.

On a side note, the French goalkeeper sucks big time.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
sly fly said:
I wasn't justifying Zidane, I was merely giving reasons - there's a difference. And no, Italy didn't deserve to win at all.

Why didn't Italy deserve to win? The french were playing pretty dirty soccer.

If you want to talk like that, then I'd say France don't deserve to be in the final; their performance against Portugal was less than convincing, with a dive to snatch them the game.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
I don't see how anyone can think Italy deserved to win. They do have a strong defence and a good goalkeeper but they are a bunch of cheating, time-wasting, dirty playing fakers.
Sorry but France are no saints either. Zidane dived at least twice in that match before the headbutt. Henry dived decisively against Portugal and Spain, as did Malouda in the Final.

The difference between France and say, Italy or Portugal is that the former doesn't have a bad reputation among the referees. They dive just as much as the others, but manage to win a lot more fouls because of that.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
sly fly said:
But racial insults (in conjunction with holding Zidane) are no better than headbutting.
Words are only words. Actions speak louder and Zidane surely did act.

You can't be sure it was a racial slur anyway.

nwatts

HSC
sly fly said:

Hah, well. I can't say you've convinced me.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I think a big problem amongst people here is that they are sucked into the mentality that a team are divers, then watch the match with that in mind, and noticing every single niggling thing that occurs. How about watching the game and stop worrying about a player falling to the ground? I sure know that I watched it properly and enjoyed every minute of it. It was heart pounding stuff as an Italian fan watching the team under constant attack, knowing any second they could concede a goal, but just as easily put one in through the counter attack and win the cup.

nwatts

HSC
acmilan said:
I think a big problem amongst people here is that they are sucked into the mentality that a team are divers, then watch the match with that in mind, and noticing every single niggling thing that occurs. How about watching the game and stop worrying about a player falling to the ground? I sure know that I watched it properly and enjoyed every minute of it. It was heart pounding stuff as an Italian fan watching the team under constant attack, knowing any second they could concede a goal, but just as easily put one in through the counter attack and win the cup.
You get points. Separate the game from a silly reputation.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
... said:
italy deserved to win...their defence/midfield were more dominant

even though i wanted france to win

*sigh*
Agreed, over the course of the tourney, the right team won. Italy deserve the Cup more than France. The Final itself: The French penalty was dubious, shouldn't have been awarded. And even though I wasn't barracking for the French, I would've prefered them to lift the trophy. Watching the Italians celebrate left a hollow feeling I wasn't expecting. Probably to do with the Zizou incident.

Well done to Italia, it means an awful lot to their people. The only problems I have with them is they lack humility, fair play, not so much their results, but the manner in which they derive those results (milking fouls/sledging). And a guy called Materazzi.

Constip8edSkunk said:
btw the ref must have seen this video when he sent materazzi off: Materazzi Compilation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpG4AHlZrL4&search=materazzi
Domenech: 'The man of the match isn't Pirlo. It's Materazzi. Not only did he score a goal, but he also got Zidane sent off'.

Last edited:

Always

HSC
Exactly, sly fly. Materazzi knew from past incidences that ZZ is easily provoked when it comes to derogatory racial comments, so he chose to attack him where it hurts most. That is really tasteless.

I guess in the end Italy as a team played well, so congrats.

nwatts

HSC
Hey, we don't know what Materazzi said. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was along the lines of "the best you could do on your last game is a penalty goal?" Zidane is a certified nutter.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Always said:
Exactly, sly fly. Materazzi knew from past incidences that ZZ is easily provoked when it comes to derogatory racial comments, so he chose to attack him where it hurts most. That is really tasteless.

I guess in the end Italy as a team played well, so congrats.
How do you know that he knew he was easily provoked? Everything is speculation (useless speculation at that)

The way i see it:

1. Materazzi holding onto Zidane
2. ???
3. Materazzi says whatever it was he says
4. Zidane headbutt

You dont just go and pull a racial slur out of no where, i think before any sort of judgements are made they should at least see what Materazzi has to say. Zidane is not necessarily as innocent as he appears, and I for one am glad he did react the way he did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)