The Official Football Thread 2006/2007 (1 Viewer)

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC
aye. go man u man..

and as for lyon. do they have really good youth facilities??...or are the other french teams really crap? :p ... *shrugs* i don't pay attention to french league much.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Woah! Breaking news...Henrik Larsson coming to play on loan for Man United in January!!!

He's 35 years old...but definitely a decent short-term solution to improving our depth in the striking department. I'll be stoked if he plays anywhere near the level he was at for Barca in their Champions League final against Arsenal.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Lyon are the top dog in France, even though they have big name departures every season. How they manage to do it is quite beyond me, but with big players like Juninho, Govou, Malouda, Fred etc they certainly a force to be reckon with.

I like the prospect of havin Larsson at United, but he's only stayin fo 3 months, quite short to be honest. At least make him stay til the end of the season. Oh well, still a big signing nonetheless.

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
Larsson was the hero for Barca in Paris, they might not have become European champs had he not come on.

Should prove to be a good signing for the Mancs...if he's a dud he'll be out in a few mths anyway lol

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
im extremely disappointed in the signing of larsson, yes he was a good player, but this is just a bandaid solution to a greater problem. id had hoped for a younger better striker, torres for example, and a midfielder eg hargraves or gattuso, this is typical of SAF, and im very disappointed in this.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Led-Zep said:
im extremely disappointed in the signing of larsson, yes he was a good player, but this is just a bandaid solution to a greater problem. id had hoped for a younger better striker, torres for example, and a midfielder eg hargraves or gattuso, this is typical of SAF, and im very disappointed in this.
Come on dude, why will you be disappointed. I don't get it, seems like a lot of United fans want us to be like Chelscum and spend heaps on players. We already have a good and balanced squad, and with the addition of a player like Larsson, it only makes it stronger, without having to spend the same amounts of money.

Who will score more? 30million Shevchenko or 3 month Larsson, I think we all know the answer to that. :D

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
balanced sqaud? half time at old trafford, united bring on fletcher and o shea, chelsea bring on robben and joe cole...that in itself shows the massive class differential between us and them. i dont want us, nor can we, spend like chelsea, but sureley we can afford a top quality striker and or midfielder or 2 or at least to provide extra cover. we have 7 games till jan 1, does anyone realistically expect us to still be 1st? i dont. now i havnt given up on the title, but for us to win it we need a younger long term prospect, not a 3 month solution, we need greater squad depth, and we can to afford it, the club is one of the most profitable just glazers have ruined it.

Oh and granted, sheva hasnt fired , he is 2 classes above larsson as a striker, i mean to fire constantly in the most defensive leagues is pure class

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Versatility is a great asset, and that is something that O'Shea can offer. True, he ain't a world class player, but in terms of his contribution to the squad it still should not be undermined. Balance is not about having world class players sitting on the bench, it's about having versatility in tactics and personnel. If Fletcher and O'Shea are brought on to shut down Robben and Cole, and they perform the required job, then who cares if there's a difference in class provided that our first team have done the job.

We still have Solskjaer and Park to come back from their injuries, so our squad will be strong coming into the festive period. We shouldn't be scared because of Chelsea's squad, but we should believe in the squad we have right now. Valencia have won the title in Spain without having the same type of depth like Real Madrid, so have Werder Bremen in Germany, where Bayern have always had the better squad. It's all about maintaining form, and if luck is with us, injuries will stay away from our major players. Winning trophies are all about combinations of such factors, and if we can maintain our current form, there's no reason why I can't see us being at the summit at the end of May.

Sheva is class, no doubt about that. But he's been utter shit at Chelsea. I'm glad he went there to fuck em up. Had he not been there I'm sure they would be doing much better than they are doing right now.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Put bluntly, Led-Zep has clearly demonstrated during his time in this forum that he knows next to nothing about football...and even less about Manchester United, despite "apparently" being a fan. Read his comments before the start of the season and you will see that he predicted us to finish outside the top 4. He also predicted losses to Chelsea and Liverpool. ...so i'm not at all surprised by the fact that Led-Zep is now disappointed by the loan signing of Larsson. United have continually exceeded his expectations this season...and he still only says negative things about Fergie and the United players. I highly recommend supporting Chelski instead if you are only interested in results and expensive big-name signings.

In my opinion, the loan signing of Larsson is a stroke of genius by Fergie. Of course it is only a temporary solution, but I feel that such a quality player can really can make a meaningful contribution to both our domestic and european aspirations. Did you not watch last season's Barca v Arsenal Champions League final? He completely destroyed Arsenal and in my opinion outshone Ronaldinho and co and basically won the game for Barca single-handedly.

Welcome to United, Larsson!!!

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC
i agree.
larsson will make an impact. What do you want. big names? or actual results.

larsson will do good. he is old. true, but it's not like we'll buy him ..its a loan. :p
(although. keano was pretty old, yet he still performed really well...before we sold him. :) )

meanwhile. man utd beats middlesbrough. gg.

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
yes ok i dont know anything about football, great stuff there matt#1, united fans, myself included, must not get carried away with this form, it happened last season, granted not this good of a start and then we sunk during dec-feb period. we havnt been that great in europe, a poor performance away at benfica, horrible at copenhagen, unlucky to celtic, not to mention defeat by a "weaker" arsenal side oh and a draw with reading. i love man united to death, and i only want the best for the club, in fact i admire and own a copy of SAFs autobiography, so i trust the man, however i feel his time is up.

Oh i forget you know everything there is to know about football and man united, gee how could i forget. Larsson, may be a good signing in the SHORT term, but why arent we thinkin bout the long term? who will replace giggs, scholes, neville, silvestre? we havent got anyone coming through the ranks good enough, and our spending has been curved so yes i am worried and angry at the way things are done, we are meant to be one of the richest clubs yet our youth development has been poor since the becks,scholesy generation.

ANd matt if you want to talk bout football and man utd, do it in a civillised manner such as LMF, instead of acting as if u were born in manchester and have followed the club BEFORE the munich disaster, or do u kno anythin about that? or before the 90s? nope nothing springs to mind..ok...

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Who wouldn't like their teams to remain undefeated in all competitions, and go on to win everything on offer. Yes, United have had their bad days this season, but so have others. What's important is that we focus on maintaining our form, and with the addition of a player like Larsson, will strengthen our squad, even if it's only short term. Smith is working on his way back to full fitness, Solskjaer is back, and Rossi will return after January. We will have plenty to choose from in our forward line.

I'm lookin forward to the upcoming weeks, starting with the big game against Benfica. We had a good win at Boro last night. We weren't at our best, but we created enough chances to win the game comfortably, but instead it was a nerve wracking last few minutes which gave me a hard time falling asleep in the morning. But such wins shows that we are grinding out results, which is what Chelsea have done in the past that brought them the title. If we're able to do that during the busy Christmas and New Year period, I'm confident we can open up an even bigger gap between us and Chelscum.

In United we believe, and I believe that we'll be sitting on top of the league by the end of the season.

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
yes our performance was pretty average, but the 3 points is all that matters. there are 2 things that will decide if we can win the epl, 1) beating the lower teams eg reading, boro, sheffield united etc and 2) beating chelsea at home. if we can do that then we will be champions. im very confident of doing the first, but 2) and chelsea are undefeated at home with mourinho, so a draw is what im hopeful for , although on last seasons 3-0 smashing away there, i aint to confident.

Oh and id think most of u guys would like all of my predictions to remain wrong, surely u wouldnt have liked if they wouldve happened, geez!

Oh and to Matt#1 these were MY predictions before the season
posted by led-zep
my predictions..
Chelsea
Man Utd
Liverpool
Arsenal
Spurs

SO correct me if im wrong, but where did i say united would finish outside the top 5? also i have this for you to chew on....

http://community.boredofstudies.org...otball-thread-2006-2007-a/11.html#post2468256
scroll down 10posts and READ UR ON POST about me...thank you.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Led-Zep said:
Oh and to Matt#1 these were MY predictions before the season
posted by led-zep
my predictions..
Chelsea
Man Utd
Liverpool
Arsenal
Spurs

SO correct me if im wrong, but where did i say united would finish outside the top 5? also i have this for you to chew on....

http://community.boredofstudies.org...otball-thread-2006-2007-a/11.html#post2468256
scroll down 10posts and READ UR ON POST about me...thank you.
lmfao! Those comments made be me were purposely intened to stir you up, mate. Clearly you took the bait hook, line and sinker! This forum isn't serious business...and things I say are often tongue in cheek and shouldn't be taken too seriously (refer to arguments between HeCtic and I over the years for plenty of examples of this). Oh, and i'm glad that you went to such lengths to prove me wrong.

It was good to see Man United pick up another 3 points today. We're now 6 points ahead..and that will surely put some pressure on Chelski :).

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
well u went to lenghts to try and prove me wrong and say i dont know anything bout football...and um, "well said, led-zep", that is heaps tongue in cheek...gee i couldnt see the real meaning behind all that sarcasm..honestly dont go back on what u said..i dont see how they would stir me up..anyways, dont go around saying someone has limited knowledge without any proof or evidence.

but u still didnt correct urself indictating i had said that man utd would finish outside of the top 5 know did you? nope i didnt think so.i also do not state negative things bout fergie and manutd players, infact most of my posts say how i beleive cronaldo to be a fantastic player, scholsey and giggs too, i commend fergie in his service and i admire him, and i love it when man utd win and rightly say so when we do. u should probably retract ur statements about the last 2 points u tried to make but failed.

Last edited:

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
oh one final thing, im not trying to start a massive argument here, i beleive u did, as united fans we should not be arguing against eachother, but i will however make a stand when someone quesitons my committment to my fave club and greatest sport ive come to love.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
woah, Led-Zep is even more of a wank-attack than I first thought. You need Keep your pants on, get a sense of humour and just chillax a little bit, buddy. People like you almost make me ashamed to be a fan of Manchester United.

Oh, and you didn't need to use 2 separate posts to prove your point. That edit button in the bottom right-hand corner exists for a reason :).

^___^
HSC
i think Led-Zep's point is, this season we take Larsson on loan, what are we going to do next season?

it is a fair point, but i guess we will have to deal with that during the big transfer season...
I'm excited with Larsson's loan to man utd, but it kind of shows the lack of transfer aggression we have against Chelski. Ie, they need a LB, they go full out to get cole, they want a top quality striker, they go and get sheva..
but can Utd do that? In the past: yes, but presently, very unlikely

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
im not sure who the "wank attack" is, brilliant piece of invention.. but it isnt me, and people like u make ME feel ashamed to follow the great club. oh and i do know about the edit button, if u can see my reply i used it before thank you very much einstein. i do have a sense of humour, only when something funny is said.

and ... has got my point across, the bandaid situation that united are in, larsson this season who next? that is my entire point, i feel that we could have searched for a younger longer term prospect than pay $1 million for 3 months, which could fail. long term thinking is required if we are to dominate again, and i feel that fergie isnt thinkin like that, sure we have ronaldo and rooney, but who will replace giggs, scholes and neville? we dont have the funds to match chelsea, well it seems that way, and we wont even try to spend the money, eg we could have had ronaldhino but the transfer fee was not right and united do what they usually do, back out of a good deal, and pay outrageous money for a player not worth that amount, eg carrick (although i highly rate him as he has been great, just needs a quality backup player in line to replace scholes with and were set)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)