The Official Football Thread 2006/2007 (2 Viewers)

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
HeCtic said:
That was the most retarded thing ever. They have two shots on target over two legs and went through.

Still, plenty of reason for optimism though. If we buy well, we'll be great next season.
Uhuh, but you guys have it tough in the comin weeks. Suspensions, injuries will certainly hamper you guys in the coming games.

Phyuk_Yiu

http://co.bos.error2-1337
HSC
LMF^^ said:
And like players in the EPL don't cheat...? Just take a look at Robben and Gerrard (some will accuse Ronaldo too, but that's expected).
Nah, im sorry i just can't let that slide a second time, how the hell can you put Gerrard in the same frame as Robben and Ronaldo. He might have dived once or twice but then show me a player who hasn't. Robben and Ronaldo heve a terminal disability if you were to compare them to the rest of the league players.

As for Italian football, i don't enjoy watching it. Everyone has always made me feel guilty about it because its "technically superior". But in the end its like comparing classical music to *insert music you enjoy that isnt classical*. Just because its supposed to be the best doesnt mean the other styles are inferior.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
LMF^^ said:
Uhuh, but you guys have it tough in the comin weeks. Suspensions, injuries will certainly hamper you guys in the coming games.
We'll finish third, batter Liverpool again and stuff Chelsea at the Grove. All good, this summer we'll get rid of the deadwood and buy the winger and forwards we need. We've lined up Timo for Jens so that'll be interesting too. We'll get Bendtner and Vela back.

Two things that people have to realise about Arsenal nowadays is that our first choice back 4 hasn't played any consecutive games together for us over the past 2 seasons and our 2 top strikers have been injured for large parts of the same time period.

The only thing highlighted by this fortnight was that Hleb is the most frustrating player in Arsenal history along with Reyes and needs to move on. Freddie is past it and needs to go. Henry's golden run with injuries is gone and we shouldn't expect to have him for a full season especially considering van Persie's run of games.

Goals from midfield has seemed to drop alarmingly from the days of Vieira, Freddie and Pires, so another direct winger who is a genuine goalscoring threat. I want Quaresma but we'll probably get Ribery who would add variety and width going forwards.

If we do that, with our team improving and a new top line keeper coming in, we'll be an interesting team to watch next season.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Phyuk_Yiu said:
Nah, im sorry i just can't let that slide a second time, how the hell can you put Gerrard in the same frame as Robben and Ronaldo. He might have dived once or twice but then show me a player who hasn't. Robben and Ronaldo heve a terminal disability if you were to compare them to the rest of the league players.

As for Italian football, i don't enjoy watching it. Everyone has always made me feel guilty about it because its "technically superior". But in the end its like comparing classical music to *insert music you enjoy that isnt classical*. Just because its supposed to be the best doesnt mean the other styles are inferior.
Yeah well tell that to Milan and Sheffield United fans, I'm sure they will disagree.

Comparing music to football is quite difficult. Football is a contest, and different styles can be played on the same field at the same time. The Brazilian league is regarded as the most exciting league in the world, and I'd doubt many ppl here have watched a game of Brazilian league football. There is no best style in football, every style can be the best if it's executed correctly. That is the beauty of this sport.

HeCtic said:
We'll finish third, batter Liverpool again and stuff Chelsea at the Grove. All good, this summer we'll get rid of the deadwood and buy the winger and forwards we need. We've lined up Timo for Jens so that'll be interesting too. We'll get Bendtner and Vela back.

Two things that people have to realise about Arsenal nowadays is that our first choice back 4 hasn't played any consecutive games together for us over the past 2 seasons and our 2 top strikers have been injured for large parts of the same time period.

The only thing highlighted by this fortnight was that Hleb is the most frustrating player in Arsenal history along with Reyes and needs to move on. Freddie is past it and needs to go. Henry's golden run with injuries is gone and we shouldn't expect to have him for a full season especially considering van Persie's run of games.

Goals from midfield has seemed to drop alarmingly from the days of Vieira, Freddie and Pires, so another direct winger who is a genuine goalscoring threat. I want Quaresma but we'll probably get Ribery who would add variety and width going forwards.

If we do that, with our team improving and a new top line keeper coming in, we'll be an interesting team to watch next season.
You make it sound like Arsenal's got lots of money to spend. Somehow I don't think Wenger will spend that much even if he does have the funds. He's too tight arse for that kind of spending. ;)

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
LMF^^ said:
You make it sound like Arsenal's got lots of money to spend. Somehow I don't think Wenger will spend that much even if he does have the funds. He's too tight arse for that kind of spending. ;)
All the right players are available at prices we can afford. Wenger has to realise that these players won't be impeding any younger player if they are good enough. Fact is Chelsea have the best squad in the League and despite their problems this season they still beat us in all four competitions. He must know this, if he doesn't spend this summer and improve the squad instantly we'll be in transition untill these kids get good enough.

And how long will that take? Is it even possible that they will be good enough considering the spending of the other 3 challengers and even the likes of Portsmouth and Villa are constantly raising the standard needed to even mount a challenge?

Raginsheep

HSC
LMF^^ said:
I've said it before dude, Arsenal does have the money to spend, its just Wenger doesn't.

As for Ribery, he doesn't score goals so adding him just gets us another fancy footballer to add to the many we have. I think he's been linked with Byern anyways. We need a midfielder to score us the 10 goals a season a comp winning club needs.

Injuries has played a big part on Arsenal's fortunes this season. Henry hasn't been any where near fit all season and I think its telling when RVP is still our leading scorer.

Phyuk_Yiu

http://co.bos.error2-1337
HSC
Looks like we're facing PSV. Luckily we get the home leg second again. I think both teams have improved when compared to the group phase so we can't rely on those games too much. What happened to Arsenal shouldbe a warning.
I'd say Bayern will beat Milan if they nullify Kaka. Chelsea should edge out Valencia. Man U could beat Roma if they get their form back by April.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
The Champions league draw for the quarter finals in interesting, but overall i'm pretty pleased. Firstly, I just wanted Man United to avoid fellow premiership rivals Chelsea and Liverpool because not only are these sides amongst the best in Europe...but I would rather watch United play against a team that I don't get to see much.

Liverpool seem to have the most favourable draw against PSV...but after knocking out Arsenal they should not be underestimated.

Chelsea have probably drawn the toughest team in Valencia. Along with Sevilla they are the form team in La Liga at the moment and David Villa and Morientes are a pretty dangerous prospect upfront. I have a feeling that Chelsea might just scrape through this one though and meet Liverpool in the semis.

As for Man United v Roma...I respect Roma's last result against Lyon and they really do have some fine players in Totti, De Rossi, etc. United will have to pick up their form a little bit...but we can definitely progress if we can get some of our injured players back to full fitness.

AC Milan v Bayern Munich is arguably the match up of the round. I don't really know who will progress in this one, but I'm going with Milan simply because Kaka is a special player capable of producing goals out of nothing.

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
Why would Arsenal want to buy any more players. They have so much freakish good youth coming through that in 1or2 seasons they will be a real force to reckon with.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
It is true that Arsenal do have many talented youthful players coming through...but the fans are surely getting sick of watching a side that is seemingly constantly stuck in a promising transitional phase. A club as big as Arsenal dosen't have time to be in transition for that long and should be fighting it out for the title. They really don't need to spend much though and probably just need 1 more quality defender and a goal-scoring midfielder.

sk1001

HSC
LMF^^ said:
Italian football can be enjoyable to those who enjoy the tactical and technical aspects of the game. Has anyone here even been consistently watching Italian football over the years...? It's not just all about being defensive. Does anyone remember this season's Milan derby...? That was one hell of a game, one of the best games of the season.

The EPL is the most exposed league in the world, and they're rich simply because of the TV revenue they receive each season. See how kick off times for these games have all been changed to suit the global TV audience instead of the local supporters...? Other leagues haven't done that, and that is why so many ppl in the world watch the Premier League. To say it's the most entertaining brand of football can also be subjective, as you've grown to enjoy a certain brand of football, it may be difficult to accept a different brand of football. This is all due to exposure, and to say that the most technical league in the world as stale is simply absurd.

English game played at a million miles per hour...? Yeah, relegation fights where tactics are thrown out the window. You don't see Bolton play like that. And like players in the EPL don't cheat...? Just take a look at Robben and Gerrard (some will accuse Ronaldo too, but that's expected).

Every league has it's good points and bad points, whatever floats your boat is simply your own personal preference. But to attack the credibility and quality of another (superior) league just shows your lack of understanding of the world game.

P.S. I'm still waiting for HeCtic to show up. Come on dude, crying time's over. :D
Bring up Ronaldo and Robben, well and good. But I just have to mention the name Gilardino. The maggot should get a life ban for that rubbish.

sk1001

HSC
HeCtic said:
There were more goals scored in Serie A last season than in the Premiership. 4-5-1 has destroyed the entertainment value of the Premiership. Teams spend whole games kicking each other in the centre of the park and for a mistake which allows them to create something. Watch a game between two mid-table clubs and generally they're absolutely dire.

Give Serie A it's props. Small teams don't roll over to big teams and actually in a lot of games outplay big teams at home. There's more chance of you actually seeing a contest in Serie A and it's a tough league. Very underrated in terms of physicality as well.
There are more goals scored in Serie A because of Inter & Milan destroying minnows. Small teams outplaying big teams at home? WTF!

In Italian football there is rarely a home team. Why? Because nobody turns up to games. Why? Because they fear for their lives. Italian football is a shambles, everybody knows the Calcio must be totally revamped like the EPL was.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
sk1001 said:
There are more goals scored in Serie A because of Inter & Milan destroying minnows. Small teams outplaying big teams at home? WTF!

In Italian football there is rarely a home team. Why? Because nobody turns up to games. Why? Because they fear for their lives. Italian football is a shambles, everybody knows the Calcio must be totally revamped like the EPL was.
Oh and England has always been a fairyland...? Hillsborough and Heysel anyone...? How about the continued hooliganism of English supporters in major international tournaments, it's all dispicable acts and it's not just the Italians. The reason why the turnouts have been so bad in Italy is not because ppl fear for their lives, it's because of the PayTV system that's in place. The problems in Italy is not a football problem, but rather a social problem, and a revamp of the league won't fix this.

Last season's Inter and Milan weren't destroying minnows at all. And if you do remember watching any Serie A matches, they can become quite free flowing due to the greater technical ability of the teams.

You're just a shallow hater, you need to learn to appreciate more.

sk1001

HSC
LMF^^ said:
Oh and England has always been a fairyland...? Hillsborough and Heysel anyone...? How about the continued hooliganism of English supporters in major international tournaments, it's all dispicable acts and it's not just the Italians. The reason why the turnouts have been so bad in Italy is not because ppl fear for their lives, it's because of the PayTV system that's in place. The problems in Italy is not a football problem, but rather a social problem, and a revamp of the league won't fix this.

Last season's Inter and Milan weren't destroying minnows at all. And if you do remember watching any Serie A matches, they can become quite free flowing due to the greater technical ability of the teams.

You're just a shallow hater, you need to learn to appreciate more.
Hillsborough and Heysel were 20 years ago. Italian hooliganism is rife in this day and age. On a domestic scene, EPL fans are well behaved. On an international scene, England fans havn't caused any REAL trouble since 98.

You're kidding yourself if you think people don't turn up because of paytv deals. Serie A is no longer suitable for children, women or families. So called "real fans" would turn up to the stadium regardless of whether the game was televised or not. Wake up mate, the Calcio is a shambles.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
sk1001 said:
On an international scene, England fans havn't caused any REAL trouble since 98.
Yeah right. Euro 2000, Germany 2006 was full of that English hooligan shit. BBC's Panorama program did a story on the World Cup about English hooligans, and it was disgusting I tell you. Don't try to cover up for the English, they're probably the worst of all, especially them Chelscum, Millwall, and small time club supporters.

I should be discussing real football news here instead of responding to all your nonsense. Inter just refuses to lose in the Serie A, but Milan mainly shot themselves in the foot. Two defensive errors cost them dear, but I gotta take my hat off to Ibrahimovic, that guy was just amazing. Milan didn't do too badly, but Inter is just that much more determined this season.

Spurs threw it away against Chelsea at the Bridge, should've done better, but credit must be given to Chelsea for their fighting spirit. Another replay to go, let's just hope the Spuds will go on from here and knock the blue fuckers out.

sk1001

HSC
LMF^^ said:
Yeah right. Euro 2000, Germany 2006 was full of that English hooligan shit. BBC's Panorama program did a story on the World Cup about English hooligans, and it was disgusting I tell you. Don't try to cover up for the English, they're probably the worst of all, especially them Chelscum, Millwall, and small time club supporters.

I should be discussing real football news here instead of responding to all your nonsense. Inter just refuses to lose in the Serie A, but Milan mainly shot themselves in the foot. Two defensive errors cost them dear, but I gotta take my hat off to Ibrahimovic, that guy was just amazing. Milan didn't do too badly, but Inter is just that much more determined this season.

Spurs threw it away against Chelsea at the Bridge, should've done better, but credit must be given to Chelsea for their fighting spirit. Another replay to go, let's just hope the Spuds will go on from here and knock the blue fuckers out.
On a relative scale, 2000 and 2006 were clean. There will always be a hooligan element. And to say it's only England is a joke. And anyway, what good is a punchon every 2 years compared to the week in week out rubbish that occurs in Italy? The EPL is clean. Why? Because somebody noticed things were going pear shaped and decided to fix it before all hell broke loose. It's time somebody in Italy woke up and realised the parrallels between modern day Serie A and 80's English top flight.

bng

HSC
sk1001 said:
On a relative scale, 2000 and 2006 were clean. There will always be a hooligan element. And to say it's only England is a joke. And anyway, what good is a punchon every 2 years compared to the week in week out rubbish that occurs in Italy? The EPL is clean. Why? Because somebody noticed things were going pear shaped and decided to fix it before all hell broke loose. It's time somebody in Italy woke up and realised the parrallels between modern day Serie A and 80's English top flight.
I can recall that Germany were the main ones in '06

Raginsheep

HSC
LMF^^ said:
Thats twice they've fuked up on a 2 goal advantage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)