The Official Football Thread 2006/2007 (1 Viewer)

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Jimmy_B said:
if he was that good other big clubs would've com in. very solid player but not what manyoo need. if they get senna as well though as is being reported thats a potentially excellent duo in midfield for them.

we signed zokora once we knew carrick wanted out, so no biggie. if we get downing and chimbonda we're looking tops for the upcoming season.

I agree with your view that a potential 18.6 million pounds for Carrick could have been better spent elsewhere and that if he was worth such an amount there would have been interest shown towards him from other big clubs. At the end of the day though...I am just happy that Fergie finally managed to sign a midfielder. He is young, a great distributer of the ball and as you said Jimmy, he could potentially form part of a promising partnership with Fergie's next midfield signing.

I also agree that Tottenham will push strongly for a spot in the top 4 if they sign Downing and/or Chimbonda. Zokora should also prove to be a more than worthy replacement for Carrick.

That is probably the first post of yours that I have ever completely agreed with, Jimmy_B. :).

Last edited:

hachoo

HSC
Carrick for $18mil... like you i think its a little over the top. There has to be someone else who's just as good and cheaper. Could've got Zlatan, though i still can't imagine him in the red's team strip.

Putting this into perspective, Ruud was sold for $10 mil.... much less than Man U bought him for. Also when Tottenham bought Carrick for $2.75 Mil from West Ham in 2001.

Last edited:

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Vieira wants to join United, now I didn't see that one comin. Reports suggest that a deal could be completed within the next 48hrs. Well if he comes on the cheap, I wouldn't mind.

Also Ashley Cole looks like he's gone too, hopefully he won't go to Chelsea.

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
i aint to sure bout vieira, i mean he was a great player in his day, but he may be past it to play at that level day in day out, plus he aint gettin any younger, damn it fergie, instead of gettin mascherano, a great young midfielder, were looking at an older, almost over the hill (world cup performances were decent) replacement, seriously if we are going to fill for keane then we need a long term replacement, whats the point in gettin vieira when he will retire within 2 or 3 seasons...im so fed up with united right now, id stop supporting them if my heart didnt belong to old trafford..fergie must go this season, period!

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
Patrick Viera said:
"Every player wants to play for a club like Manchester United."
I agree Mascherano would a much better option but hearing Viera say this is still gold. I have the same issue with signing Senna who is already 30.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Man Utd have actually only paid about 13 million pounds for Carrick (a pretty reasonable price IMO). This amount will only rise to 18.6 million pounds if Carrick reaches his full potential. This will be determined by things like the number of trophies won by United; the number of appearances he makes for United and England, etc. Personally, I hope his fee does rise to 18.6 million pounds...because this will mean that he has been successful and that Man United has won alot of silverware.

Fergie has stated that he will sign 1 more player before the season starts. In order of preference it will probably be one of the following; Torres, Mascherano, Vieira, Senna.

^___^
HSC
i don't think Torres will be going to Man Utd..

Trezguet and Ibra are staying at Juve :S

so i guess it is down to Vieira and Senna..Senna stating he is happy at Villareal and wants to stay, whereas Vieria wants out and for a player to state he wants to play for united over inter, it shows alot how much he wants to be there (given he used to be an arsenal player etc), so i guess we are going to land vieira more, won't be a bad option since Carrick might struggle a bit in the Champions League, and Vieria can step in and help out things...

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Im in favour of signing Vieira as long as it is reasonably cheap, i.e- about 6 million pounds or something because he is not a long-term option. Adding Vieira and Carrick would definitely strengthen our midfield.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Vieira could join Inter altogether, accordin to the United website. But I'm a bit unsure about this piece of news bein on the front page since they usually don't put such news there. Strange, makes me feel that Vieira will indeed link up at OT.

HSC
Inter really are going transfer crazy this window, add Vieira to the likely addition of Luca Toni and the title is already in the bag.

http://theworldgame.com.au/home/index.php?pid=st&cid=73786

FFA today announced the training squad for the upcoming match against Kuwait. Pleasing to see a strong Sydney FC representation and it'll be nice to see Thompson start a game for the Socceroos. Anyone else over the moon about Kevin Muscat back in the green & gold? :D

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
Reyes and Cole are hopefully staying at Arsenal, if not we want a kings ransom ... Gallas not turning up to training, whats that all about then?
Chimbonda still hasn't found a club, i wonder if they will leave him on the bench all season like Wigan said they would do after he handed in his transfer request on the last day of the season, i think Spurs will save him last second stylez ...

I think Vieira will be going to Inter, i doubt he will end up at OT.
Arsenal needs a CB but West Brom want 10mil for Davies, and Mexes is now looking unlikely, we start the season with Toure and Cygan.
McBenny is Bellamy's replacement if you didn't already know

hachoo

HSC
Vieira has been confirmed at Inter. Almost $6.49 mil he was paid by Inter for the transfer.

Emmerson Boyce (RB) has moved to Wigan, meaning they most definetely won't keep Chimbonda. I don't think Man U are going to sign anyone else this window. Most definetely not Zlatan or Torres. Torres will stay at Athletico, and it's very unlikely that they will release him anytime soon. They have a growing side, just like Man U has with Rooney.

Just quickly looking over Liverpool's transfer fees. They paid 6.7 mil for Pennant, which is more than Harry Kewell, Riise, and Luis Garcia. And they bought Peter Crouch for $7 Mil lol

Last edited:

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
That's half of what Man Utd payed for Carrick, with extended payments most likely to continue. Kind of puts the transfer into perspective. And although Vieira is older than Carrick, I think he'd suit the Scum much better.
And Lebanon have pulled out of their Asian Cup qualifiers (including matches against Australia) because of the conflict.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
I think that Fergie is only looking at Senna and Tevez now. Tevez is a big fan of Manchester United...he even turned up to a press conference wearing a United shirt! If we did happen to sign him...I think that he would definitely help us to fill the void left by the departure of Van Nistelrooy, even though the two of them are very different in terms of their style of play.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Senna hinted at a move to United, sayin that the clubs are negotiatin a deal. Vieira prob just wanted Inter to act quicker, and the deal wrapped itself up as soon as it happened.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Yeah, from reports that I read...it definitely looks like Senna will be on his way to Man United. Apparently his club want 10 million...but Fergie is trying to negotiate this amount down to around 4 million. I think that about 5 million is a reasonable amount for him. He certainly shouldn't cost any more than what Inter paid for Vieira.

hachoo

HSC
Vieira went for very cheap..... bummer really. I thought his World Cup form would at least catch 10 mil, but because Juve really needed to get rid of him, I guess he took his chances, not that he needs the money.

Ashley Cole to Chelsea.... seriously doubt it now. Huth, Terry, Calvarhlo, Ferreira and Gallas are pretty strong at the back and i don't think they'll waste the time and money on him. Also Wayne Bridge can play the left back position

matt#1

HSC
N/A
hachoo said:
Ashley Cole to Chelsea.... seriously doubt it now. Huth, Terry, Calvarhlo, Ferreira and Gallas are pretty strong at the back and i don't think they'll waste the time and money on him. Also Wayne Bridge can play the left back position
I would agree with you if you were talking about almost any other team...but not Chelsea. Abramovich's millions mean that they don't care about money or having too many players in the same position. Just look at their midfield. With a world class player like Lampard...did they really need to splash out on someone so similar in Michael Ballack? ...

Gallas can play LB, but he is not exactly co-operating with Chelsea at the moment. As for Wayne Bridge...he is a solid defender, but I think that Mourinho views him only as a back-up player. Mourinho has stated that he DEFINITELY will be trying to buy another LB, and there must be a strong chance that this will be Cole given that their other target (Roberto Carlos) has committed himself to Madrid.

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
Saw on Toyota World Sport today that Zlatan & Buffon wanna join the Juve exodus...to Milan apparently?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)