The Official Football Thread 2006/2007 (2 Viewers)

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Led-Zep said:
also, matt 1# quote "What evidence have you got to prove that we can't do that again?!?", um matt look at our performances in last 3 seasons during the xmas-jan/feb period and ull get ur answer. even with stronger team than presenet, espec with RVN firing from 2003-2006, we still sunk and lost the title in january. it is a common theme with man utd, they can make it easy for themselves but dont, there is a passage in SAF book about united and xmas-jan period and making life difficult, so if SAF can see what i and many other united fans know bout us in jan then surely u can..
Actually, if my memories serves me right, we weren't that bad during the Christmas period over the last few seasons. In 2003/04, I think we were actually on top during that time, but faded away afterwards. In 2004/05, we dropped 2 points, and that was the game against Spurs where Carroll became infamous, and last season, did we lose...? I can't remember, but we were way off the pace by then to even mount a proper challenge. We lost the title during the ealier parts of last season, rather than the latter parts.

United are known for making late charges in March and April, so I am not too worried just yet. A loss is disappointing, but they gotta come some time. Sure I'd love the team to go undefeated but a loss I can still take. At least it ain't against one of our big rivals. We just need to pick ourselves up and take out max points against the rest of the teams in the coming games.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Yeah, well said LMF^^. I agree that Man United has traditionally been weaker at the start of the season rather than during the festive period.

As for Drogba's goal...I have to admit (as much as it pissed me off) that it was all class. He really has perfected those shots on the turn and has scored several candidates for goal of the season already. He has improved so much since last season and really is a striker of the highest quality when not diving all over the place. Put simply, he has made Shevchenko look like rubbish.

In saying all of the above though...I really hope he gets injured or rapidly loses his form or something because he has saved Chelsea right at the end of a match way to many times this season.

Last edited:

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
just a question, who here plays football? either indoor or outdoor?..im currently playing indoor as a pre cursor to the start of the new season, and my god, it is sooo fun...love it.

Jimmy_B

HSC
Led-Zep said:
ill give it up to lampard usually he needs help, deflections, to score, but for once he did it himself...oh and drogba, possibly goal of season so far..
no matter how cunty they are, the players chelsea have are all born winners with undeniable footballing ability. for all the talk of them being mercenaries, who needs loyalty when you can group togethor a group of ridiculously talented, naturally driven players who refuse to lose?

for all their spirit i don't think united have the quality to sustain a championship run over the second half of the season, even if they bring in hargreaves.

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
they did it last season, without a top quality mid fielder ala carrick, without scholesy, and giggs on fire, and no RVN...so id say they are more than capable of doing it, my only worry is this period of the season, xmas-jan/feb, thats when united usually have suffered. they are always strong come mar-may..

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC
Led-Zep said:
just a question, who here plays football? either indoor or outdoor?..im currently playing indoor as a pre cursor to the start of the new season, and my god, it is sooo fun...love it.
i have a friend who played indoor this year. had a final this week just then.
lost 4-3. poor guy.

yeah. this years a new year! so you never know. :) we might kick asssssss. all asses.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Jimmy_B said:
for all their spirit i don't think united have the quality to sustain a championship run over the second half of the season, even if they bring in hargreaves.
I agree that the title race between Chelsea and United is still far from over...and that Chelsea may very well go on to win it again...but I disagree with your comment that United don't have the quality to sustain a challenge over the second part of the season.

United went on an awesome winning run during the second half of last season...and came close to catching Chelsea in the end. Notably, we went on this winning run largely without both Scholes (who has been simply outstanding this season) and also Michael Carrick. In addition to this, Ronaldo has matured and has been our best player so far this season, Giggs is also in better form, our defense is now the most solid in the league, largely due to the partnership of Vidic and Ferdinand (something I predicted before the start of the season) and we also have Henrik Larsson coming into the side after christmas. United also have the advantage of not being so far behind Chelsea this season, and in fact being ahead by two points.

Taking into consideration all of these facts...it is pretty clear that United is in a much better position than they were in last year. We managed to put pressure on Chelsea towards the end of last season even without all of these factors...so I am more than confident that we have enough quality to sustain a championship run over the second half of the season.

oh, and lol @ the spiderman 'keeper pic in your sig!:)

Last edited:

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
yea timlay, i had a final couple mths ago..we lost to..who wouldve thought u could shoot from halfway after the ball has gone out to the sidelines..stupid gay rule, noone knew, so the other team shot and scored when we were setting up, in golden goal extra time..ARRRR

Matt 1#, im also confident in our ability to turn it on mar-may, but it is jan/feb that im slightly concerned, i mean in a week we went from 8 points to 2..so i hope we maintain a 2 point lead by end of jan cause we will need it..but united are in a better position than last season thats for sure..btw apparently hargreeves and klose are targets for end of season..

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Led-Zep said:
Matt 1#, im also confident in our ability to turn it on mar-may, but it is jan/feb that im slightly concerned, i mean in a week we went from 8 points to 2..so i hope we maintain a 2 point lead by end of jan cause we will need it..but united are in a better position than last season thats for sure..btw apparently hargreeves and klose are targets for end of season..
yeah, hopefully we can maintain that lead over the Christmas- January period...but we will just have to wait and see. It all depends on how we bounce back from the West Ham defeat. Hopefully Chelsea can drop a few more points as well.

As for Miroslav Klose being targeted by Fergie at the end of the season...i'm a big fan of Klose. He was one of the better players at the world cup and I believe that he should have attracted interest from bigger clubs for some time now...but how old is he? I would still prefer Fergie to sign someone young like Torres if Klose is 30+. As for Hargreaves...he would certainly boost our midfield depth, but I would prefer a more attacking midfielder because Scholes dosen't venture forward and score as often as he used to (in saying this though, his importance to the team has in no way diminished) and Carrick already plays a similar role to what Hargreaves would play. Fergie should go for Timmy Cahill instead in my opinion. We don't really have a central midfielder who can contribute goals to supplement the strikers (like Lampard, Ballack, Gerrard, etc). Cahill would provide such goals...and without bias, I think that he is possibly the best and most underrated player outside the top 4 teams in the EPL. In any case, he would certainly offer Fergie something different in attack.

Last edited:

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
great win by united fantastic result! btw chelski nearly blew it, it does show that they do have weaknesses, especially in defence...so lets march on united. tho bad news carrick out for a month...

oh and merry xmas, football fans, in particular man utd! lets hope the new year brings us (Title!) what we wished for..

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Scholes goal

What a beauty, magnificent goal.

And Carrick is not out for a month, he may be back to face Reading on New Year's Day. However, Scholes and Vidic are both suspended for the next match. Oh well, they gotta rest some time. Might as well it be during Christmas.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Yeah, great win by United against Villa the other day. That Scholes goal brilliant and Ronaldo had yet another awesome game. Ronaldo's contribution to the team has definitely improved this season...but if he keeps up this impressive form he might be heading towards winning some personal awards as well.

As for Charlton and West Ham...I think that West Ham will stay up, but things are looking pretty bad for Charlton at the moment...

Merry Christmas guys!

Rainbow Joanna

HSC
Wow, just going through most of this thread, it seems so EPL based, especially the core of discussion seems to be paying off Chelsea big time. That's no surprise.

But, yeah just out of the blue if any of you get the chance to watch some other leagues, seriously watch out for Anderson Luês De Abreu Oliveira, my GOD that guy is good and HOT!! Like his only 18 i think and already his wearing the number 10 jersey at porto and dictating play along with Lucho Gonzalez, Ricardo Quaresma and Helder Postigo. Now that's definitely a tall order. Considering that our own Kaz Patafta is at a similar club playing for Benfica, yet he is barely even given a run in the reserves.

Anyways, back to what everyone else is discussing, I think Man Utd really can win this yr purely down to its defence being so dominant. I narrow that down to one man NEMANJA Vidic, that guy is amazing. Plus, I'm not surprised considering pre-World Cup Serbia had the best defensive record and his certainly making Rio earn his 1000000000000 a week salary now.

But, yeah Im abit surprise with Shevchenko to be honest, but then again at Milan the style of playmarkers they got are totally different with no disrespect to lampard and ballack. But Pirlo and Kaka are just more technical and more sexy to watch, in terms of their artistic like passing game, whereas the Lamps and Ballack seem more physical and don't really play to Shevas feet plus unlike in Milan one of Shevas trademark plays is to play one-twos in around the opposition defence.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Rainbow Joanna said:

Anyways, back to what everyone else is discussing, I think Man Utd really can win this yr purely down to its defence being so dominant. I narrow that down to one man NEMANJA Vidic, that guy is amazing. Plus, I'm not surprised considering pre-World Cup Serbia had the best defensive record and his certainly making Rio earn his 1000000000000 a week salary now.

I agree with your comments about Vidic. He has been a revelation for us this season. However, whilst our defence has been brilliant...I believe that our attack is also a major reason why Man United can win the league title this year. Man United has scored 44 goals already this season. This is by far the best attack in the league.

Chelsea drew 1-1 with Reading last night :D...whilst United won 3-1 against Wigan. That result puts us 4 points ahead now. Ronaldo was sent into the game after half-time with immediate impact... scoring 2 goals within 4 minutes. He is one of the better players in the world at the moment for sure. He has taken his game to a new level and he has dragged United with him.

Jimmy_B

HSC
Rainbow Joanna said:
Wow, just going through most of this thread, it seems so EPL based, especially the core of discussion seems to be paying off Chelsea big time. That's no surprise.

this thread used to be awesome but a lot of our most interesting characters don't post here anymore. but yeah i guess it has always been very premiership based, but what can you do, exposure to any other major league isn't comprehensive enough really.

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC
UEFA champions league? :)

..is there a league in africa by anychance?...

and Chelsea drew with reading 2-2 . X)

but yeah. man utd yayyy. :) 3-1.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Rainbow Joanna said:

But, yeah just out of the blue if any of you get the chance to watch some other leagues, seriously watch out for Anderson Luês De Abreu Oliveira, my GOD that guy is good and HOT!! Like his only 18 i think and already his wearing the number 10 jersey at porto and dictating play along with Lucho Gonzalez, Ricardo Quaresma and Helder Postigo. Now that's definitely a tall order. Considering that our own Kaz Patafta is at a similar club playing for Benfica, yet he is barely even given a run in the reserves.

But, yeah Im abit surprise with Shevchenko to be honest, but then again at Milan the style of playmarkers they got are totally different with no disrespect to lampard and ballack. But Pirlo and Kaka are just more technical and more sexy to watch, in terms of their artistic like passing game, whereas the Lamps and Ballack seem more physical and don't really play to Shevas feet plus unlike in Milan one of Shevas trademark plays is to play one-twos in around the opposition defence.
There are no Chelscum fans here, wait, do such mythical creatures exist in this world...?

Yes Vidic has been a revelation this season, but so has Ronaldo. He is carrying the team atm, the kind of form you'd expect from the greatest players in the world. He has certainly matured after the World Cup, in terms in tactical awareness and technical ability. If Rooney can also reach that level this season, I believe the title will be ours.

With the help of the internet, you can be exposed to almost every league in the world. But I can't get myself interested in certain leagues, but I do watch the Serie A, German Bundesliga from time to time. If La Liga matches started earlier I would watch it too, but their kick off times are very late, so I tend to be in bed by then.

Looks like Led-Zep's worries were not realised, as Chelsea became the first to drop points. Comical own goal from Essien (not his fault), but thanks for the present nonetheless. Arsenal got lucky, and Van Persie is showing that he can do what Ronaldo does. But great to see Liverpool lose, their poor away form continues.

I miss the Scousers on this forum, it's a shame they don't post here any more, we have a lot of fun when they're around.

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
you have to expect a bias towards epl, as the coverage shown here is biased towards that..espn has la liga and serie a and dutch league, but thats it really..

oh and great win by united, reading again holding the big teams. oh and lmf my worries wont be at ease until end of jan, if we are still top. united always finish strong i have no doubt about the feb-may run in, even if it is tough, but dec-jan period is a worry, so far we have done well, albeit west ham defeat, lets get another 3 points at reading, and continue into 2007 top..United united united.

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
oh in terms of uniteds best player, id have to say ronaldo..he is on immense form this season, his abilities are very frightening, considering he is only 21. the best winger on the planet, has everything u can ask, two footed, fantastic shot power, heads like strikers, pace, skill only matched by ronaldhino, and his passing/crossing are developing too..in the next 2-4 years cronaldo=best player in world..i just hope united can hold onto him

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)