The official Medical Science thread (1 Viewer)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
windupbird said:
Is a master of pharmacy possible?
yes it is .. at Uni of Sydney at present..

its eqv to BPharm.. but more expensive

C

Chrisssss

Nice thread.
You should also add the required UAI's for those courses listed at each respective Uni, and update them around August when the new UAC guide is released.

boris

Banned
HSC
Maybe when I get enough time to wade through UAC I will, maybe by the end of the weekend.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
theshortykatt said:
So what are the adventages of doing MED SCI over picking your subjects in B SCI???

(i may have asked this before, but cant remember where so never got to see the answer.)
Less subject choices/More specific subjects in MedSci?

EDIT: Becoming a lab tech after graduation?

mariyamo

VIP
HSC
Hey what about Biomedical Science at UTS, that fully meets the requirements of the AIMS :p

MedSci aint all that, yeah it can be interesting but its not medicine
If u didn't do/like science at school, don't do it at uni, health science is an exception

Last edited:

boris

Banned
HSC
mariyamo said:
Hey what about Biomedical Science at UTS, that fully meets the requirements of the AIMS :p

MedSci aint all that, yeah it can be interesting but its not medicine
If u didn't do/like science at school, don't do it at uni, health science is an exception
Not entirely sure of the point you were trying to make.

mariyamo

VIP
HSC
boris said:
Not entirely sure of the point you were trying to make.
I'm saying that people who want to do Medical Science should really think about it because there are people who end up transferring or don't have many options when they finish. I'm not discouraging people from the field, thats not my point, but people should really think about what they want to do with the degree. It helps with postgraduate study if you want to do med/pharmacy/masters, that's not guaranteed though because it is competitive and there are certain requirements. So if you are doing Medical Science, work hard because it is challenging and alot of hours at uni.

Medical Science does not mean you can be accredited by AIMS.
Only the uni's listed below:

• Charles Sturt University
Bachelor of Medical Science (Pathology)

• Curtin University of Technology
Bachelor of Science (Medical Science)

• James Cook University
Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science
(completed in 1999 or subsequently)

• Queensland University of Technology
Bachelor of Applied Science (Medical Science)

• RMIT University
Bachelor of Applied Science (Laboratory Medicine)

• University of South Australia
Bachelor of Laboratory Medicine

• University of Tasmania
Bachelor of Biomedical Science

• The University of Technology Sydney
Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Science has been approved as an acceptable qualification provided the medical laboratory science option is followed.

Last edited:

boris

Banned
HSC
If you read the read the first post you would have seen that AIMS was discussed, and that not all degrees come with AIMS accreditation.

When you finish your degree you should aim to become a member of AIMS (Australian Institute of Medical Scientists) http://www.aims.org.au
Some degrees come with automatic membership.
Secondly, it is possible to become a member of AIMS without an AIMS accredited degree.

Most people have options when they finish, and I would suggest that a Medical Science degree offers more employment opportunities than a basic BSc degree or a BBiomed Science degree.

Also covered in the first post was the importance of realising that a BMedSc isn't an automatic ticket into grad Medicine studies.

HSC
I do the Bachelor of Biomedical science at UTS. It's one of the few AIMS accredited courses, and I believe it's automatic from 2008, provided you follow a certain program. The course I'm doing is aimed towards students who want to work in a clinical pathology laboratory setting. yay :D

These are my subjects:

basic foundation subjects

chemistry
physics
statistics
biosphere (environmental issues)
anatomy & physiology
cell biology & genetics
biocomplexity (biology type subject)

Second and Third Year subjects

General Microbiology
Metabolic Biochemistry
Histology
Molecular Biology
Analytical Biochemistry
Epidemiology and Public Health Microbiology
Introductory Haematology & Immunology

Clinical Bacteriology
Medical and Diagnostic Biochemistry
Advanced Haematology
Advanced Immunology
Transfusion Science
Biochemistry,Genes and Disease
Anatomical Pathology

there's also room for electives there as well.

It would also be worthwhile to point out the TAFE diploma of laboratory technology (Pathology). This is an excellent course to do. It provides you with many practical skills which university doesn't really provide, I should know, I've undertaken this course. I just can't rave enough about how much this course has helped me. I took this course straight from high school, then when I finished I applied for university and was accepted in the first round :) Also TAFE does a few deals with a few universities, mainly UOW. You can get advanced standing on 1st year if you've maintained a credit or distinction average. For other institutions you can get RPL for the TAFE subjects.

I strongly recommend taking this diploma course if you want to work in a pathology laboratory setting as a technical/scientific officer. They also have a Diploma of laboratory technoglogy (biotechnology), this course is geared more towards students who are interested in a research career.

In my opinion, I think that there's more employment availabilites around as a technical assistant/officer, scientific officers rather than clinical research assistants. Those jobs seem to be rather competitive.

I just suggest working towards something you'll be happy doing.

I just really wanted to contribute to this board, because when I was first applying for medical and biomedical science courses there wasn't anything like this to help me :)

gezzill

HSC
i want to do medicine eventually.
if i do a bachelor of MedSc at university of wollongong, can i go into their postgrad course of Medicine/surgery.
and what sort of results do you have to get,
and what GAMSAT score?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
gezzill said:
i want to do medicine eventually.
if i do a bachelor of MedSc at university of wollongong, can i go into their postgrad course of Medicine/surgery.
and what sort of results do you have to get,
and what GAMSAT score?
*facepalm*

You can get into grad Med at Wollongong with a BMedSc, you can get in with an Arts degree, Commerce, etc, etc.

The GPA required for most grad unis is 5.0 (or a credit average), although I think USYD is 5.5

Not sure about WAM. Try the UW website?

gezzill

HSC
katie tully said:
*facepalm*

You can get into grad Med at Wollongong with a BMedSc, you can get in with an Arts degree, Commerce, etc, etc.

The GPA required for most grad unis is 5.0 (or a credit average), although I think USYD is 5.5

Not sure about WAM. Try the UW website?
why "*facepalm*"
its a simple question. and why would you do a BArts when you would get not grounding for medical purposes.
the point of doing medical science is to prepare myself for medicine.
so there was no need for a facepalm...

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
No, that is NOT the point of doing Medical Science. It's not a degree that exists purely for people to "prepare" themselves for a Medicine degree.

It's a question we see a million times on this forum, but the reality is, maintaining a GPA of 5 or 5.5 in a Medical Science degree is not easy.

I facepalmed because we get this question and these responses a million times, and it's frustrating. If you want to do Grad Med, you can get in with any degree so long as you get the right GAMSAT marks and you maintained a credit average in your undergraduate degree. It's just frustrating as hell when people think doing Medical Science will be a shoe in for medicine.

gezzill

HSC
katie tully said:
No, that is NOT the point of doing Medical Science. It's not a degree that exists purely for people to "prepare" themselves for a Medicine degree.

It's a question we see a million times on this forum, but the reality is, maintaining a GPA of 5 or 5.5 in a Medical Science degree is not easy.

I facepalmed because we get this question and these responses a million times, and it's frustrating. If you want to do Grad Med, you can get in with any degree so long as you get the right GAMSAT marks and you maintained a credit average in your undergraduate degree. It's just frustrating as hell when people think doing Medical Science will be a shoe in for medicine.
i know its not going to be easy but its what i want to do.
and i think i will get a better understanding for medicine if it do that rather than a BArts for example

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
gezzill said:
i know its not going to be easy but its what i want to do.
and i think i will get a better understanding for medicine if it do that rather than a BArts for example
You can always do a B Science or B Advanced Science because it will give you more choices in terms of subject selection.

TheMelissa

God Complex
HSC
gezzill said:
why "*facepalm*"
its a simple question. and why would you do a BArts when you would get not grounding for medical purposes.
the point of doing medical science is to prepare myself for medicine.
so there was no need for a facepalm...
Omg someone facepalmed you on the internet. :( I would have cried myself to sleep.

"Medical science is not a foot in the door for medicine, graduate or otherwise."

You could plaster that on every billboard in Sydney and you'd still have the same people applying for the same, jaded (and mostly WRONG) reasons.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
survivor39 said:
You can always do a B Science or B Advanced Science because it will give you more choices in terms of subject selection.
2nded that. Especially if you do not want to get into the research or pharmaceutical industry scheme of things at the of the end of B.Med Sc pathway.

TheMelissa said:
Omg someone facepalmed you on the internet. :( I would have cried myself to sleep.

"Medical science is not a foot in the door for medicine, graduate or otherwise."

You could plaster that on every billboard in Sydney and you'd still have the same people applying for the same, jaded (and mostly WRONG) reasons.
I'd suggest doing a B. Sc (Adv) which gives you the opportunity to go down most any science path in second year at uni's which offer it. Also the Biological Sciences/Microbiology major is pretty simillar to medical science (biomedical major) at most uni's. Analytical chemistry is almost equivalent to drug design or medicinal chemistry, etc.

I'd say Med Sci is only specific and really good for learning anatomy, physiology and disease pathology. You could undertake suprisingly simillar majors in other science disciplines and possibly have more opportunities to undertake other electives in a normal B. Sc. or B. Sc (Adv), etc.

Also for students undertaking or contemplating undertaking Med Sci at UNSW to gain entry to medicine via pre-selection and hons. Let me just say don't pin your hopes on it as most students will be competing for the same 15 or so places!

Last edited:

Arithela

HSC
Woozy, why should one choose Science Advanced over Science? Wouldn't it be harder to maintain a high GPA in Advanced? (since admission into grad med takes account of GPA)

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Arithela said:
Woozy, why should one choose Science Advanced over Science? Wouldn't it be harder to maintain a high GPA in Advanced? (since admission into grad med takes account of GPA)
At some universities such as UWS offer pathways in Sci adv for medicine, etc. As I have inferred before doing sci adv, or another general science course may increase your options if you are hesitant about the career options and majors offered by medical science, etc.

But at most uni's the GPA for grad med is only a threshold, and 5-5.5 is not that hard to maintain if you apply yourself.

There is a thread on MSO discussing Med Sci vs Sci Adv, etc. http://www.medstudentsonline.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=4855

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)