The official Medical Science thread (1 Viewer)

Desmond223

HSC
QUESTION! how many hours a week would be spent at uni for B Med Sciences at Macquarie Uni? Can you choose to do 3-4 days a week or do you have to spend 5 days a week at uni? Please let me know :D Thank you heaps

Peace,
Desmond

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
QUESTION! how many hours a week would be spent at uni for B Med Sciences at Macquarie Uni? Can you choose to do 3-4 days a week or do you have to spend 5 days a week at uni? Please let me know :D Thank you heaps

Peace,
Desmond
It will depend on the timetable from year to year. It might be possible to fit everything into 4 days.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm looking at Medical Science or Advanced Science at the moment. I'm not really sure what I want to get into, but maybe something towards hospital/lab sort of work so would either degree be suitable to get into something in that sort of field or is one preferred more than the other? Thanks :)

Bobbo1

HSC
I'm looking at Medical Science or Advanced Science at the moment. I'm not really sure what I want to get into, but maybe something towards hospital/lab sort of work so would either degree be suitable to get into something in that sort of field or is one preferred more than the other? Thanks :)
Guessing Med Science should be a better option, people who do advance science generally go along the research side of things

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Both of them would be a good choice. Just pick the right major in the Adv Science one.

Medscience101

HSC
Hey, just wondering if anyone got into BMedscience through early entry, even if you didn't meet requirements?
My Ranks are better than my marks, do you think they will look at those aswell, or just cut you off if you dont have the marks?
Ranked in the top 5 for every subject i need to get accepted for early entry. thanks for your help.

AbsoluteValue

HSC
Can you get into med easily if u do med science.
Otherwise, what can u do with med science degree ???

FrankUses

HSC
Year 12 starts for me in less than a week and I'm suddenly confused about my career choice.

Basically it's Med Sci vs Medicine. Personally I'm leaning towards Med Sci because I want to do research in a particular disease.

Just to clear things up, my original plan was to study Med Sci at UNSW and I'll definitely go all the way to PhD (100% certain, + got people like Survivor39 to look up to). Recently, I started discovering that Med Sci offered little job opportunities, 'useless' as my dad calls it, but is it true even if you finished PhD with super good marks (or for Survivor39 who got a scholarship to cambridge?).

My dad is wanting *cough forcing* me to do Medicine, backed up by all the typical 'Asian parent who want's their son to be a doctor' arguments. I'm fairly certain if I committed to it, I could get into Med.

I'm just confused. Is it a lot more beneficial to do Med over Med Sci even if you are interested in research?

Dombrovski

HSC
If you don't make the cut for medicine, then you'd probably be forced into med science anyway. I don't know what your parents are like, but maybe just carry on and do the electives you want in med science, focussing around what you want to research... convince them that Honours is a good idea as it will boost your career prospects and then just leg it into a PhD when you graduate.

The thing is, do you want to research the disease, the pathogenesis/organism, or be treating patients who get it (obviously that would be waaay down the track)? I guess it depends on the disease and what you're interested in. I'm from the med science camp, doing work with dengue virus, I never see people; I am only looking at a single viral protein and the way it interacts with host proteins. You don't see people who are experts in every aspect of a disease, you'll find that people are kinda like this....

....jpg

actually, looking back at that picture, I would say the green and blue sections are a lot smaller!!!! I guess what I am trying to say is that if you want to research, and not have to go though god knows how many years of medicine, spend time treating people (where you won't learn the molecular biology skills to research as a PhD would), just got straight into PhD after Honours... if research is what you want, then no amount of additional undergrad will make you look better, because once you pass that undergrad boundary, they care about your publications, their quality, your skills as a scientist and your research experience.

And in regard to limited job opportunities, that is only for people who don't plan their degrees properly and who think they'll just be given a job... often you'll find they are the ones who whinge the loudest; primarily because the ones hard at work don't have time to whine. if you have the dedication, you'll be fine. I'm from a small (typically viewed as backwards) university, and have heaps going for me as far as my future is concerned (if I do say so myself lol)... and its because I worked my butt off and continue to do so.

But chin up, don't burn out in your HSC, because uni is going to be a 7-8 year slog which is far more intense than your school years (because you also have life/the real world to deal with).

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Just to clear things up, my original plan was to study Med Sci at UNSW and I'll definitely go all the way to PhD (100% certain, + got people like Survivor39 to look up to). Recently, I started discovering that Med Sci offered little job opportunities, 'useless' as my dad calls it, but is it true even if you finished PhD with super good marks (or for Survivor39 who got a scholarship to cambridge?).

I'm just confused. Is it a lot more beneficial to do Med over Med Sci even if you are interested in research?
Thank you so much for the kind words. I'd suggest Med Sci over Med if you want a career in research. The whole Med Sci degree is there to help train you up as a researcher. If you compare a MedSci student and a Med student after 4 years of uni, the Med Sci student does way better in the lab than the Med student. However, you can still come a successful researcher after your Med degree but it will take you longer (A Med degree is usually 2-3 yrs longer than a Med Sci degree with honours).

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Good luck to you and your PhD endeavours, Dombrovski!

MK888

HSC
Hi, I'm thinking of doing medical science next year and just have a quick question :)
I am either thinking of going to USYD or UNSW next year. (got an atar of 97) The problem is I only did General Maths (mid band 6 for it) and was wondering how hard the maths units in first year are? I will probably do a bridging course though.

I was looking at the NSW website and it seems like you don't have to do any units of straight maths (could be wrong on this) but I think I'd rather go to USYD just because it is a lot easier for me to get to.
Thank you!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Hi, I'm thinking of doing medical science next year and just have a quick question :)
I am either thinking of going to USYD or UNSW next year. (got an atar of 97) The problem is I only did General Maths (mid band 6 for it) and was wondering how hard the maths units in first year are? I will probably do a bridging course though.

I was looking at the NSW website and it seems like you don't have to do any units of straight maths (could be wrong on this) but I think I'd rather go to USYD just because it is a lot easier for me to get to.
Thank you!
Congrats on getting an excellent ATAR. Both UNSW and USyd require you to do Maths of some sort. e.g. UNSW requires you to do one maths subject called 'Statistics for Life and Social Sciences'. USyd requires you to do two Maths subjects in your first year.

I don't think you need to do bridging course from my knowledge of 'Statistics for Life and Social Sciences' at UNSW.

Good luck in making your decision!

MadScience

HSC
Hi, i need some help deciding. I was hoping someone here has done the courses i am considering and might give me an insight. I am completing my Bachelor of Medical Science (Pathology) from CSU this year. Now looking at doing Masters of Med Science (Pathology). However i believe this master is through course work. Is masters through research considered better then master through coursework. My other options are to do Graduate Diploma In Clinical Trials and continue onto the Masters of Clinical Trial from USYD and the other option is to do Graduate Diploma Infection and Immunity and proceed to Masters. Just can't decide which would be advantages in gaining a better job. The CSU course i am not sure how that is going to help me apart from leading me onto a phd or getting me a managerial position. The USYD course of clinical trial is also completely online based and currently there are so many jobs going on in relation to clinical trials but not sure how that would be 4 years later. As for the USYD course of Infection and immunity, i am very interested in this one but i have seen the timetable and it seems i will have to take a day off from work to attend university.

Just need some word of advise and an insight from students who might have been in the same situation. I have a strong interest in the pathology stream especially histopathology. I'd like to work in the research side of things and complete a phd. I'd love to work with lab animals and have done a short lab animal handling course.

Can anyone also suggest some graduate diplomas or masters which they think might interest me.

Chandlere

HSC
The posts above are quite information but i think that whatever you like to be you can, but to achieve your aim it needs a lot of hardwork and time.

JayCutler123

HSC
Does anyone know much about Bachelor of Engineering and Bachelor of Medical Science? Can you choose to do say, civil engineering and med science, or do the electives have to overlap?

thedemonpk3r

HSC
Hey guys,

im still waiting on hsc results, but just wanted to ask a few questions..

can anyone tell me if it is possible to
transfer from biomedical science to medical science at uts
transfer from medical science uts to medical science usyd
transfer from chiropractic macquarie to any science degree at uts
transfer from pharmacy usyd to medical science usyd

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)