• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Official Miscellaneous Late Night SBS Movie Thread (1 Viewer)

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Here's a thread for discussing all those weird and wonderful movies you happen to catch one late night or another on SBS.

I'll get us started with this very odd Hungarian flick I saw tonight called 'Temptations' about this guy called Marci. Marci has a few family issues- he doesn't know the identity of his father, and his life with his mother is about to reach crisis point when her boyfriend and his relationship with his own girlfriend start stirring things up around the house. Eventually after a heated spat Marci discovers his fathers identity, and runs off to his farm to find out what sort of a person he is. While he's there, he meets a young gypsy girl called Juli with some nifty gypsy magic, and with her help, Marci starts robbing banks by hacking into their computers. After some time, Juli's father sells her to him, but although she is bound by gypsy tradition to love and serve him, he treats her more like a daughter and continues his relationship with his girlfriend, ultimately evoking the wrath of Juli's powers.

If that synopsis doesn't paint such an unusual picture, there's more. It might've just been my sick, tired mind playing tricks on me, but there seemed to be some bizarre sexual tension between Marci and his mother throughout the film, culminating in a violent embrace at the end of the film (perhaps under the influence of Juli's crazy magic).

The direction was also pretty interesting. If I recall correctly, almost the entire thing was shot by a jerky hand-held camera in black and white.. but occasionally a few shots would suddenly be coloured. I'm not totally sure why- it seemed random to me. Maybe it was for this reason that the structure of the film seemed disjointed to me as the plot lurched from scene to scene

Nevertheless.. a pretty refreshing movie. I'd be very interested to see some more Hungarian cinema

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
Late night SBS is my only reason for living.

Two highlights I can think of at the moment:
*having sex with blow up dolls
*throwing barking dogs off buildings, then trying to cover up the crime

Pretty much the best movie known to man is called 2LDK. I first saw it on the World Movies channel and then again on late night SBS.

It's about these two Japanese girls who are auditioning for the same acting role. One thing leads to another, and they end up in a battle to the death, using interesting methods such as exploiting an allergy to tatami, electrocution in the bathtub, chainsaws, egg throwing, samurai swords, toilet lids, etc., all within the comfort of their apartment.

If I remember correctly, it was the result of a competition between two Jap directors where they had to make a film on a limited budget that involved a fight to the death between two characters, with the whole thing shot in one setting.

The ending is awesome.

Oh, and the title comes from the setting (i.e. the apartment) - 2 bedroom, living, dining, kitchen

Last edited:

Lundy

Banned
HSC
(I saw both those movies. 2LDK was hilarious in it's complete over-the-topness.)

The last noteworthy movie I caught on SBS was Lilja 4-eva, a Swedish film.

The premise: The story of a young Estonian girl, 16-year-old Lilja, abandoned when her mother flys to America to live with her boyfriend. Forced out of home and now living in poverty in a squalid apartment block, she turns to prostitution and is befriended by a young boy called Volodjia, who has been kicked out of home. Their friendship blooms before she meets a guy called Andrej, whom she falls in love with and looks forward to going with him to Sweden to start a new life. Leaving Volodjia behind, she flys to Sweden to meet one of Andrej's "friends" on the promise that Andrej will meet up with her later. Locked into a small apartment, she soon realises she's been lured into sex slavery, forced to sleep with a myriad of men without pay.

From its beginning to end it's a very depressing film, the overall hopelessness of the character's situations is only heightened by the bleak, colourless surrounds of its settings. The shaky hand-held camera adds to its dire realism. But the platonic friendship between Lilja and Volodjia (the only character in the movie who doesn't betray her in some way or another) is very sweet. Volodjia is the only character with the foresight to warn Lilja against going to Sweden. His fate, without giving too much away, is as lonely and pathetic as Lilja's. The two young actors are brilliant. Child traffiking in the former Soviet Union isn't of much concern outside of Europe, but it's harrowing to realise that the movie is based on a true account of a very real situation there. Anyway, good movie.

Last edited:

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
SBS often has crazy overdone movies... with lots and lots of explicit sex thrown in.

icecreamdisco

HSC
lilya 4-ever is excellent. that single scene where she eats the insipid, measly hamburger from macdonalds between her slavery sessions is a more effective a piece of anti-maccas propoganda than the entirety of super size me.

Last edited:

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Late night SBS movies are a lot better than most of the crap the commercial channels give their viewers

2LDK was one of the best movies i ever saw, if only because it made me laugh so many times

lilya 4ever was a very depressing film, but it was a very good movie that highlighted some very important issues in society that most people wouldnt think could be possible today

bring on more late night SBS movies!

walrusbear

HSC
an all time favourite i've seen at least twice is Vampyros Lesbos
the title really says it all
it's by Jesus Franco, supposed king of Eurotrash
anyone not ashamed enough to admit to seeing this one?

Last edited:

icecreamdisco

HSC
oh yeah, european lesbian horror erotica is like, the pinnacle of cinema.

i haven't seen vampyros lesbos yet, though i have seen vampyres, nude for satan (holy fuck- wierdest fucking movie ever), and my fave- jean rollin's fascination.

HSC
i love seeing germand and italian movies made in the 70s. The german one i saw was about a kid who had his parents killed on a highway (I think it was called monsters or something) and he dreads that highway and reckons that there is aliens or zombies hiding in people. Another italian one I saw was about a daughter in a family who her mother leaves the husband, the husband impregnantes her (ew) and she has a kid that she isnt allowed too see and she'd thrown in like some religious boarding school and eventually meets up with her kid. edit: i remember the name of the husband dude is Harvey Keitel (from pulp fiction, wolfe

Another german one I saw (I think german) was about a guy who was so obsessed with electricity and fixing things, and then about a guy who is lonely left his wife and he has a van he drives around and he becomes rebellious, in contrast to his very upper lifestyle, and a girl who has abusive boyfriend she tolerates alot

Last edited:

walrusbear

HSC
icecreamdisco said:
oh yeah, european lesbian horror erotica is like, the pinnacle of cinema.

i haven't seen vampyros lesbos yet, though i have seen vampyres, nude for satan (holy fuck- wierdest fucking movie ever), and my fave- jean rollin's fascination.
nude for satan is genius from what i've seen :p
although that is only a few scenes

another euro-lesbo-vampire movie SBS show often is Lips of Blood.
the premise is that a young 70s man at a party sees a picture of a castle on the wall. he then has distorted memories and flashbacks of being at the castle when he was a child, and witnessing lots of erotic vampire action. i never saw how the story resolved :p

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Interesting.. someone let me know on this thread when one of these lesbian vampire movies next comes up. It sounds like I've really been missing out :p

walrusbear

HSC
haven't seen one aired for quite a while now
they were on about once a year during high school a few years back

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
this thread reminds me of fast forward. this sketch was soooo effing hilarious.

walrusbear

HSC
saturday nights used to be the cult movie night
is it still the same?? i haven't watched a movie on tele for such a long time

in any case, a quality cult film they showed was Blindman
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066844/
it was a spaghetti western, of sorts, with Ringo Starr
i only saw a handful of scenes but one memorable moment had some men with a gatling gun wipe out an unsuspecting theatre. a bit like the wild bunch but with less resistance :p
i'm not sure how easy it would be to track this one down...

another memorable SBS movie is a pretty popular 'nunsploitation' film; The Sinful Nuns of St Valentine. It had the usual nuns up to sordid acts and the devil etc. A pretty disturbing scene had around 10 or so girls bricked up in a building (like that Edgar Allen Poe short... can't remember the name :p) while they were screaming for their lives.
people have surely seen this one??

EDIT: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0147374/

Last edited:

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
walrusbear said:
saturday nights used to be the cult movie night
is it still the same?? i haven't watched a movie on tele for such a long time

in any case, a quality cult film they showed was Blindman
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066844/
it was a spaghetti western, of sorts, with Ringo Starr
i only saw a handful of scenes but one memorable moment had some men with a gatling gun wipe out an unsuspecting theatre. a bit like the wild bunch but with less resistance :p
i'm not sure how easy it would be to track this one down...

another memorable SBS movie is a pretty popular 'nunsploitation' film; The Sinful Nuns of St Valentine. It had the usual nuns up to sordid acts and the devil etc. A pretty disturbing scene had around 10 or so girls bricked up in a building (like that Edgar Allen Poe short... can't remember the name :p) while they were screaming for their lives.
people have surely seen this one??

EDIT: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0147374/
hahahahaha i caught my dad watching the sinful nuns of st valentine.

the classic SBS film when I was younger was the killer condom. everyone i knew had seen it or sneaked out late at night when it was on to watch it.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
anita_wax said:
DONNIE DARKO ON 10.10pm TOMMOROW NIGHT!!!!!! {wed}
I <3 SBS. .

It must be part of one of their 'seasons.' I'm guessing it's 'American indie' season because they're showing The Virgin Suicides next week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)