• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The overall motivation of SOR1 candidature (1 Viewer)

sNiPeR_24

Fo' shizzle
HSC
goan_crazy said:
our SOR assessments are out of 50% total
my trial is worth 22.5%
how many assessments hav u had sniper if ur trial is worth 40%
weve had 3
our ISP was only worth 10%!
So if your total internal assessment is out of 50 and your trial is worth 22.5, doesn't that mean your trial has a total weighting of 45% which would be reasonable if your ISP was only worth 10% for 1 unit.

At my school we've had 3 tasks (speech 20%, ISP 20%, extended response 20%) and have the trial exam yet to do which is worth 40%, so we do 4 in total.

dani_danoz said:
What I'm trying to say is that I do have the motivation to achieve marks for SOR1. But I just can't seem to reach them!!
I'll admit I'm quite unmotivated when it comes to SOR1 because I don't particularly find it interesting but somehow I still manage to achieve satisfactory results. Maybe you didn't evaluate the contrasting levels of significance between the variants? That's the part most people forgot and is probably why the average performance was so shotty.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
miss_gtr said:
well u could just not go to a catholic school, i think that if you go to a catholic school you have to study sor, im not religious at all but i go to a catholic school and i dont mind studying SOR, so if u dont like having to do sor, dont stay in a catholic school.
You sound like my frikken teacher! Why don't you try being helpful instead of regurgitating the establishments arguments.

At our school (catholic) we get to preference whether to do ethics, rites of passage, women etc. but every cross-study HAD to involve christianity and X, so christianity and islam, christianity and Judaism... you get the idea. I reckon this works pretty well, because we get to study a concept we're atleast mildly interested in and since christianity is involved, we already have a fair bit of back-ground knowlege.

I find SOR 1 boring but hey, it'll definitely count towards my UAI (10 unit'er) so I'll just have to stick at it.

sNiPeR_24

Fo' shizzle
HSC
fleepbasding said:
At our school (catholic) we get to preference whether to do ethics, rites of passage, women etc. but every cross-study HAD to involve christianity and X, so christianity and islam, christianity and Judaism... you get the idea. I reckon this works pretty well, because we get to study a concept we're atleast mildly interested in and since christianity is involved, we already have a fair bit of back-ground knowlege.
That's exactly the kind of model I was after! Where perhaps the student doesn't choose the whole thing themselves, but certain aspects of it are flexible and can be chosen.

Are there many problems with how this is set up at your school, like, are there many disputes?

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Um, not many to my knowlege. Although, for some un-known reason, some people didn't get their preferences, but generally all-round happiness. Last year, there was no choice, so my year-group might be a trial run. It doesn't make students work a whole lot harder, but it does make most enjoy SOR a bit more, so I'd say it's definitely advantageous. My teacher was at first a little bit irritated by the change because she had done women for last years group, but our class chose ethics (oh I didn't mention that- we are classed according to preference). So our teacher was like threatening to do women and we vehemently opposed and eventually she capitulated, so we're doing ethics with christianity and islam (in hind-sight women wouldn't have been so bad, but anyway).

So yeah, for students the majority are happy but some teachers clearly don't like having to teach a topic they're not used to teaching... that being said, I think that most of the teachers got to teach the topics that they'd done in the past.

Elizabeth rocks

HSC
hi,
i go to a selective (but not a religious) school in newcastle.
sor1 is an option like any other hsc course but sor2 isn't offered.
we have 2 small classes doing sor1, with a total of maybe 25 students. there are about 180 students in our year. so it's not stacks popular. but i love it, it's so interesting. i'm a Christian but we're not doing Christianity. last year one class did Islam and they're now doing Buddhism and Islam (i think) and the other class did Buddhism last year but this year they're doing Judaism and Islam. so the teachers are trying to show us some diversity in religion, learning about things we're less likely to know about, and obviously they have to teach what they have the resources for and whatever. i think it's really good to learn about what other people believe because it just opens your eyes so much. it's good for improving tolerance - helps you to say, well, i don't agree with what these people believe, but i respect their right to believe it - and i think the more people can say that, the less stupid hatred and fighting there will be in the world. it's also good to learn what religions really say because you're less likely to believe stereotypes presented by the media.
most people in our classes are reasonably motivated, but then we're a selective school, so people are like that anyway and i don't know how much it has to do with the religions we're studying.
so to answer your question, yes i think a choice would improve motivation, but you have to be careful not to choose something really hard - the school has to be able to deliver it well. e.g. the school could say we're doing Christianity and we will offer Judaism or Buddhism but not all 4 - take a vote. or stream the classes based on choices. whatever. but i don't know how motivated everyone is to start with so i can't tell you whether i think this would be a bit helpful or a lot helpful.
maybe if you're really passionate about this you could take it up with your teacher, head teacher, src, year advisor, or someone? you could go and talk to people in your class, see if they would try harder for a subject that interested them more, then suggest to your head teacher that next year there could be a limited choice and this would improve motivation? teachers like improved motivation, it means a more interested class, and better marks, which makes them look better as well as making teaching a compulsory subject less boring/painful. sorry this is so long. good luck anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)