• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The 'perfect' soldier? (1 Viewer)

MJ-47

HSC
why focus on current soldier improvement, when we can just build a bunch of robots to do the fighting for us

Big Boss

Banned
HSC
N/A
There was once a young boy who fought in the War of Independance for Mozambique and he was a child soldier of Vietnamese descent.
He would use his innocence to garner sympathy from adult soldiers and prey on them with the cold cruelty of a hunter.
Eventually he was taken into rehabilitation and then raised into what was known as the perfect soldier.
His reflexes were inhumanly superior in addition to his skills with hand-to-hand combat and bladed weapons.
He had no emotions and no memories and thus nothing was an obstacle to him.
Everytime he went reconditioning all five of his senses were shut off and only he was able to endure this while most men would go mad within minutes.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
what's so good about HEV suits? (i havent playd any half life games..)
Hazardous Environment Suit.

Heads up display showing health, HEV battery level, direction where damage was dealt.
Geiger Counter.
Automatic antidote and morphine administration.
Uses special charging stations, which is like 'refilling' the armour.
Stores multiple weapons at once.
Basically for hazardous environments worn by scientists in experiments and somehow good for combat.

Depends on which version of the HEV suit.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Hazardous Environment Suit.

Heads up display showing health, HEV battery level, direction where damage was dealt.
Geiger Counter.
Automatic antidote and morphine administration.
Uses special charging stations, which is like 'refilling' the armour.
Stores multiple weapons at once.
Basically for hazardous environments worn by scientists in experiments and somehow good for combat.

Depends on which version of the HEV suit.
i prefer the PSZ exoskeleton/Beryllium Armour suit from S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl/Clear Sky.
At least that game's more realistic than others.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
A charged HEV suit absorbs 2/3s of the damage that would be otherwise sustained. Also Gordon Freeman is just badass.

Duffman0

Kick ass, chew bubblegum.
HSC
Given Australia's current military involvement and the existence of previous threads such as 'Is war ever justified?', I thought I'd pose a question to you guys sparked by an article in New Scientist. It was talking about the US' investment in technology which would basically make better soldiers. The technology included stuff like sensing a soldier's level of stress within a given situation, better screening for those who enter the army in terms of the structure and chemical balance of their brains...and most worrying (imo), the deactivation of the empathy response via certain drugs.

So, what do you guys think about this? Should we be using technology to make people better at killing each other? Or should we be attempting to use technology in other ways, such as improving people's diplomatic ability, providing better living standards in areas where kids becoming terrorists is common, etc?

What are your views on the cost, ethics, practicality, etc of creating the 'perfect' soldier?
To be absolutely serious, you're being utterly ridiculous. You're not asking for a proper discussion at all the way you've phrased it - you just want people to disagree with the super soldier idea. "Better at killing each other" v "providing better living standards"? Are you serious?

In all honesty, can you expect anyone to say "yeh we shuld have mor bettr soldez 2 kill ppl insted of givin lyfe to pplz"? You've asked a leading question, expect no really serious answers I suppose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)