The Piano - Gothic? (1 Viewer)

redhat

We have an assessment task in which we have to write along the lines of why The Piano can be classified as a gothic movie + reference to cinematic/dramatic techniques in the opening 15mins.

Can someone please give me some pointers? at the moment, i am totally lost!

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
umm.. gothic movies - symbolism. music. sweeping winds, desolation, blah blah blah. there's more.. characters, how they are portrayed, what makes them gothic and HOW?

i have no idea because i have a) never seen The Piano and b) never studied gothi..cism.

find out what makes a gothic movie (you probably should know this already..) and then find out what some film techniques are. if you search for film techniques on this site you'll probably find a whole heap. things like music, camera angles, speech or lack of, camera/editing techniques, costumes.. all contribute to TECHNIQUE.

i'm sorry i can't help any more.

lemonade

Coffs Harbour, but will soon be in Brisbane
try looking in a search engine? I had to do an extension assignment recently and had to research gothicism in relation to 'Wuthering Heights'. I found heaps :p

Um.. ive never seen 'The Piano', I've seen 'The Pianist'??
in addition to what anti said: look for washes over the screen, lighting, violence (and how it is portrayed)

but yeah.. i dont really know much about gothicism and havent seen the movie! try searching in dogpile.com :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)