The plot (1 Viewer)

Giant Lobster

HSC
Originally posted by AsyLum
think of madness....think post modernism....think absolute bullshit disguised as art :D
so....
orite, is ur story an example of this?

edit:

heh i remember i read yours, it didnt seem to have much of a plot too and yet u got 49 so thats proof plots arent totally necessary...

but then again prolly im unclear on my definition on what is actually a "plot", maybe what u've written does in fact contain a plot... im confused :(

hotcocoababe

Sexiest BoS Member
I'm up there.... somewhere... gently floating abou
HSC
Originally posted by vicburke

they do have to link though dont they?
i have a strong feeling they do. you can think of other ways to link them rather than just the stories........but from what you said Leasha23 it sounds like your stories are linked - they are linked by your exploration into different genres and story concepts. explain it in your reflection statement and you will be fine.

Yeah, my teacha reckons that ur supposed to have a link if you do more than one story....... i can be really really subtle, or the major plot-forming characteristic of the stories.
Last year a girl at my school did a set of five stories and the link between them was a 'tunnel'..... it was in a few different ways, i cant remember excatly all five of them, but one was 'tunnelvision' and some1 watching tv or something like that, and another was a train tunnel mentioned right at the end. each story sounded completely different yet they all linked up in the end in the last story...... was quite complex yet the only real symbolic link was the 'tunnel' and i didnt really understand why the tunnel was relevant......... but i hope it helps :D

bitchymcbitch

Uni Bum
HSC
right well now i think im weird...
you guys are all doing a few short stories.. im only doing one... is this normal?

zerzillia

Originally posted by Leasha23
The creative works for extension 2 english are very versatile in their production. As long as you are either creating an imaginative, investigative or analytical work, it should be fine.

My question is: I have, for my major work, three short stories. All investigate a specific genre/concept, but are not in any way linked. Do I need to make these stories linked in some way, or can they be totally different from one another in their structure, style and influences? Mine is influenced a lot more by research than being a fanciful story or the like.
they dont have to be linked. i have 2 sub-plots running at the same time, they're linked but not really directly (as in, characters dont directly affect each other).

zerzillia

Originally posted by bitchymcbitch
you guys are all doing a few short stories.. im only doing one... is this normal?
pretty normal.

some people are doing different ones or related ones. but i do know people do did a whole one (my classmate is doing a complete, fantasy one).

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Giant Lobster
so....
orite, is ur story an example of this?

edit:

heh i remember i read yours, it didnt seem to have much of a plot too and yet u got 49 so thats proof plots arent totally necessary...

but then again prolly im unclear on my definition on what is actually a "plot", maybe what u've written does in fact contain a plot... im confused :(
hehe my plot circled around the eventual cycle of life and death, and the transgression of the character/s from one to the other :)

soiled_poncho

Ok i am weird too then! cuz im only doing one story i dont really think that it is that uncommon....
I don't think it's uncommon. Myself and the others in my class are all doing just one story. I didn't even realise that you could do more than one.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Originally posted by Giant Lobster
My story doesn't have a plot. :(
Gay aye? do I need one? :p

I know some stories that are character based don't really need a plot, but mine isn't really character based, but more philosophy based... its strange, and its not the kind of story that mixes well with a plot. So thus is my dilemma :(

Are plots 100% absolutely imperative to the genre of a short story? If so, then I honestly dunno what Ive written here. :(
Ask yourself, does it make sense. Then get a second opinion. And a third. And finally a fourth. Then you'll know whether it needs a plot or not.

Anyway, since it's all philosophical the markers will think your really deep or whatever and give you a good mark.

J

jhakka

Originally posted by bitchymcbitch
Originally posted by *Flutterby*
bitchy i think we must both be wierd and abnormal then because im only doingn one short story too :D
Originally posted by hotcocoababe
Ok i am weird too then! cuz im only doing one story :) i dont really think that it is that uncommon....
Originally posted by soiled_poncho
I don't think it's uncommon. Myself and the others in my class are all doing just one story. I didn't even realise that you could do more than one.
I'm doing only one. The word limit is hardly enough for that.

boz-foogle

Banned
Some of the greatest writers we have ever seen have foregone the need for plot. Just look at Raymond Carver, and to a lesser degree, David Foster Wallace. Plot will often hamper any attempt at character development by having the situation so totally overwhelm the possibility of individual choice, and thus, make all characters reactionary to a series of crises rather than really giving them an opportunity to show what they're like as people e.g. "Shit, my house is on fire; better throw some water on it." This a logical reaction to a situation, whereas, if you were to take away the fire and just showed the character in his or her house, a plethora of possible opportunities is opened up to them as in, like, whether they'll go out to shop for milk, or call up Beth, or whatever. Through the choice, we get to see a character completely bare of any distractions, whereas a plot pushes this personality to the background.
Personally, I find stories lacking plot infinitely more interesting than the crap offered in most fiction, irrespective of genre.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)