The pomo debate!!! (1 Viewer)

cl3nta

HSC
So starting a thread devoted to postmodernism and the contentious debate.
So.. what are the sides and what are their views. I'll start off with some brief(off-the-top-of-my-head) stuff.

So we have the conservatives (the media etc) who are anti-pomo basically saying that various texts are invaluable and understanding them is the key to english

On the otherhand, we have a progressive view of postmodernists arguing that pomo is all about conveying thoughts/feelngs with no literacy bench mark - who cares if no one can understand shakespeare?

So, add to it. In the end, we'll have one big thread! :D

laterz:wave:

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
i hope you're not a troll because this thread could rage into an uncontrollable beast with two diametrically opposite sides. rawr.

Anyway you call the media conservative? I'd say it has a very liberal bent, definitely so in America and to a lesser degree, in Australia (as we seem to follow them so prominently in cultural movements). If anything they would be left-wing conservatives -if that makes any sense- as they believe in reporting social issues such as education, hospitals and notions of social equality i.e. homosexuality and feminism vehemently.

But i digress, as that focuses more on the outcomes of postmodernism in our society.

Bah screw it this pomo debate will just degenerate into semantics where we'll refute each other's definitions of what is 'postmodern', 'classical texts' or even 'truth'. I will pre-emptively decline from stating anything else in my position.

However, if you wish to do well for pomo in english extension, just study your set texts well, keep on referring to syllabus points and outcomes and develop a single, strong thesis. There is no need to understand everything about pomo as it is so broad, much less the media's views!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)