The Prince / Julius Caesar / House of Cards Analysis? (1 Viewer)

jaackcarroll

HSC
Hey, just wondering if anyone has analysis pertaining each of these texts individually or better yet, an analysis of them linked. Just looking for some basis information so I can read the texts with an awareness of the themes and direction of each of them.

jaackcarroll

HSC
hey, I do have some key ideas within the text for julius Caesar however I only looked at it this year for year 10. FYI the key ideas are based around conflict as that was our focus unit. If you want me to send the key ideas just reply back.
That would be super helpful, thank you!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
A user said:
we get a lot of readings for extension english and i often find it hard to sit through reading all of the pages without getting distracted because of the complexity of some of the articles. anyone have any tips for this? and do you find it helpful to listen to music whilst studying? i find it distracting but i like having something playing in the back but i think it ultimately detracts my attention.
Yes, when something like this happens, you need to be regularly taking short breaks to refresh your mind. Having to read several and difficult pages of English means that you will eventually reach a point where your brain is no longer able to process information, and this may in turn cause you to get distracted and/or procrastinate.

In terms of music, I wouldn't recommend listening to music while studying, especially if you're studying something complex like you currently are. While most of us love music, I feel it interferes with our ability to study properly, because our brain will have to focus on 2 things instead of just one, which reduces our productivity. What I'd suggest in addition to having short breaks is:

- Listening to some relaxing music during your break (allowing you to compensate for the lack of music during your study time).
- Going for a walk (allowing you to get some fresh air and ultimately refreshing your mind).

I hope this helps! 😄

idkkdi

HSC
we get a lot of readings for extension english and i often find it hard to sit through reading all of the pages without getting distracted because of the complexity of some of the articles. anyone have any tips for this? and do you find it helpful to listen to music whilst studying? i find it distracting but i like having something playing in the back but i think it ultimately detracts my attention.
gotta learn to skim read. too much time spent on english if you read all readings properly imo.

nilatar

Zep Roadie
HSC
gotta learn to skim read. too much time spent on english if you read all readings properly imo.
Skim reading is a tactic that's risky in Ext 1. You make good use of your time if you just read it once but with thought and in conditions devoid of distraction. What's important is that whilst you're reading, your synthesizing various concepts between texts & with the rubric, highlighting / picking out worthy quotations. Ultimately, it saves you time in the long run, not having to having to read it again in it's fullest again as exams loom.

Edit: You can utilize skim reading to bypass a lot of the fluff within various texts, as so to simply derive the nub, for most texts. However I find it much more effective to simply read texts in it's entirety so there are no implications of missing this crux / textual understanding.

Alistruggles

HSC
I have tried to listen to music - piano music, lo fi, my usual playlist and whilst lo fi/piano definitely seem LESS distracting than music with heavier beats/words, listening to music whilst studying just isn't for me. I dance and sing as hobbies and if I hear music I'll just feel like singing/dancing instead of studying. Not good.

I think a way to enjoy reading is to set up a time to discuss key ideas of the article with friends or think about how you might be able to offer the class some insights from the article/clarify misunderstandings at the next class. If you don't read the article with some level of care you will likely have gaps in understanding about course content and that's just uncomfortable to live with imo

Also maybe a way to be less put off by the complexity of the article is to acknowledge that whilst it is complex, that's kind of the whole point. We're doing extension and we have to grapple with complex things to further our understanding beyond that of standard/advanced peers. (using superiority complex to your advantage!)

I feel like I have to look up a quarter of the words in an extension article sometimes and I do occasionally wonder if my vocabulary is just really trash and perhaps I'm not cut out for this course, but what way is there to get better at English aside from sitting with the complexity and trying to work with it to gain a better understanding?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)