The Project Marking Guidelines (1 Viewer)

jackal8

HSC
To my understanding the History Project is marked on the basis of what your individual marker believes. Because my teacher has just recently given back our marks and my essay mark dropped by six marks because there wasn't a significant change from the draft to the final copy.

Personally I agree there was change but not significant. This was following my teachers advice to

a/ bring in more contemporary sources
b/ present mroe of your own view

I could not do a/ because I could nto find contemporary sources which would help build my essay. And in terms ob b/, I did change it to put mroe fo my view in.

Is it fair to deduct marks purely on the fatc that I did not change enough in the markers eyes. Keep in mind that when I handed in my draft my teacher though the project I did was extremely good to the point that I was accused of cheating.

So is it valid to deduct marks based on the belief that there wasn't enough change?

Thanks

^_^

X

xeuyrawp

jackal8 said:
To my understanding the History Project is marked on the basis of what your individual marker believes. Because my teacher has just recently given back our marks and my essay mark dropped by six marks because there wasn't a significant change from the draft to the final copy.

Personally I agree there was change but not significant. This was following my teachers advice to

a/ bring in more contemporary sources
b/ present mroe of your own view

I could not do a/ because I could nto find contemporary sources which would help build my essay. And in terms ob b/, I did change it to put mroe fo my view in.

Is it fair to deduct marks purely on the fatc that I did not change enough in the markers eyes. Keep in mind that when I handed in my draft my teacher though the project I did was extremely good to the point that I was accused of cheating.

So is it valid to deduct marks based on the belief that there wasn't enough change?

Thanks

^_^
Just to clarify, when you say contemporary, do you mean contemporary of us (ie, modern sources) or contemporary of the time (ie, primary sources)? Both types of sources are necessary for any essay, although I'd need to see it for myself to know if you haven't used enough.

With your own view, you're definitely encouraged to make a final judgement in the essay. Putting your own view is difficult, and I personally believe that in history extension major works, the student only finds his view in the materials, rather than making it up himself. But that's very cynical... :p

In relation to losing the 6 marks - are you sure you understand your teacher? Are you sure that teacher was simply not pointing out that he gave you warning which you did not heed?

However, they should not penalise you for not shifting from your draft. What happens if you wrote your final essay really early in the year? You could sort your essay early and present that as a draft, but then get penalised for your organisation!

That being said, there is supposed to be significant reflection on your draft, and this is supposed to be evident - either 1. in the essay itself, or 2. outside the essay (outline, journal, etc). Maybe you just left your initial draft as is, and didn't criticise it at all?

That would lead me to believe that your teacher really meant 'I criticised your intial draft, and you didn't change it at all', or something to that effect.

jackal8

HSC
yeh thats the thing.

i did take heed to his advice.

firstly i did try and implement my own personal view, although i admit it is hard to come to conclusions that the sources themselves do not come to. and secondly i tried to look for contemporary sources (of our time) that he suggested, however, i foudn that they were all liek textbooks and did not help to build my argument.

its frustrating because his words were along the lines of (when i submitted my draft) "like a professional historian wrote this". one would assume that there would be minimal changes needed.

just rememebring another point he said why i lost the six marks was because i had several sentences scattered throughout the essay that 'drew away form my argument'. i.e. it wasn't relevant. an example is when i criticise an anachronistic source. i write a few words or so linking the flaw to the historians of the middle ages. whilst not entirely relevant it highlights what i mean.

i also lost one mark in the synopsis for this one sentence, keeping in mind our synopsis was worth four marks so i lost one quarter.
"the conclusion I come to is derived purely from the sources in a scientific and logical manner." apparently it was for using the word science, as my teacher believed that this was not appropriate, is that a just reason to deduct one mark.

and another mark in the source analysis for just generally not being analytical enough. although i followed exactly what the HSC History Extension Support Document outlines to do with the source analysis (which is far mroe thorough than the syllabus).

I hope i don't sound liek someone simply whining, but our History Project was market out of 40, so by six marks i dont eman 6% or 6/60. Also i feel liek i have been the victim of bias as i dont think my teacher likes me and i have had several altercationg with him. considering he thought i plagiarised and so on.

thanks =]

X

xeuyrawp

jackal8 said:
yeh thats the thing.

i did take heed to his advice.

firstly i did try and implement my own personal view, although i admit it is hard to come to conclusions that the sources themselves do not come to. and secondly i tried to look for contemporary sources (of our time) that he suggested, however, i foudn that they were all liek textbooks and did not help to build my argument.

its frustrating because his words were along the lines of (when i submitted my draft) "like a professional historian wrote this". one would assume that there would be minimal changes needed.

just rememebring another point he said why i lost the six marks was because i had several sentences scattered throughout the essay that 'drew away form my argument'. i.e. it wasn't relevant. an example is when i criticise an anachronistic source. i write a few words or so linking the flaw to the historians of the middle ages. whilst not entirely relevant it highlights what i mean.

i also lost one mark in the synopsis for this one sentence, keeping in mind our synopsis was worth four marks so i lost one quarter.
"the conclusion I come to is derived purely from the sources in a scientific and logical manner." apparently it was for using the word science, as my teacher believed that this was not appropriate, is that a just reason to deduct one mark.

and another mark in the source analysis for just generally not being analytical enough. although i followed exactly what the HSC History Extension Support Document outlines to do with the source analysis (which is far mroe thorough than the syllabus).

I hope i don't sound liek someone simply whining, but our History Project was market out of 40, so by six marks i dont eman 6% or 6/60. Also i feel liek i have been the victim of bias as i dont think my teacher likes me and i have had several altercationg with him. considering he thought i plagiarised and so on.

thanks =]
I can sympathise - there's nothing worse than unclear marking comments.

You'd have to talk with your teacher. Try not to sound too angry or defensive, but ask for further comments.

Sorry, that's all I could offer, really.

Try to remember that this is one assesment and that there is a bigger one to come. :)

jackal8

HSC
okay

well thankyou anyway.

just to let you know, this is what has happened so far. my father went in to discuss whats been happening. and funny thing is my teacher denied ever saying i cheated when his accusations bombarded me for a period of well over a week.

on a side note (not necessarily me) what happens when you have a biased teacher? can the education system correct this somehow? obviously it is difficult to prove.

X

xeuyrawp

jackal8 said:
on a side note (not necessarily me) what happens when you have a biased teacher? can the education system correct this somehow? obviously it is difficult to prove.
In terms of education, I tend to be more of a cynical Right-winger -- put up with your conditions and work your best within them.

Moaning about the teacher won't achieve anything in the long run unless the teacher has *seriously* breached the law (be it BoS guidelines or otherwise).

If you have a biased teacher, I would try to point it out to them in a subtle way. Alternatively, why not broach the subject in a more facetious way - 'haha, I noticed you like modern major works over ancient ones - should I consider doing a modern one instead? :D' or something to that effect. That would force them to think about what they're doing. You'll also be given your answer. This kind of thing would be more appropriate if you had to ask infront of the class.

That being said, if they're approachable - probably a moot point if you're worried - why not ask them about it in private? Don't use the word 'you [the teacher]' or 'your', but rather refer to 'the marking procedure' or 'the marker'; it's contrived, but I'd say it'd be more respectful. Say that you're asking this because you want to ensure that your work will be excellent - not because you're worried about their work, if that makes sense. Try to sound like they're in the right and that you want to work with this.

If worse comes to worse, you can take it to a higher level, the year coordinator or the head of the department, if you're at a bigger school. But do not do this until you've discussed it with the teacher and there is a deadlock. Sometimes, you'll start out being respectful and then turn into being honest, but it goes nowhere. Teachers will usually try to resolve this, but make sure they know that you're still worried. Otherwise, when you go to a higher authority, they will understandably wonder why you did so. Going over someone's head without talking to them prior is just rude.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)