The Pros and Cons of Deferment (1 Viewer)

NonCompusMentis

HSC
I thought about deferring because I wanted a change from school, but it turned out that Uni was the change I was looking for :)

bustinjustin

HSC
The need to defer not only depends on your financial situation, but also on what you've done in the void between uni and the end of the hsc. If you've worked your arse off, will be living at home and still have a few hundred saved up after enrolment/textbooks/getting trashed with a steady flow of income, a year off just to save more money isn't necessary, unless you want to qualify for independence or want to travel far, wide and reasonably comfortably.

Personally, I think I've managed to squeeze in a lot of the 'gap year' stuff into the four-month post hsc void. I've worked my arse off for the past two months, working 5 6 days a week whilst depriving myself of 'fun', and do believe I've developed a lot more maturity than some others who've been pissing it up night in night out on their parents' money. In that time, I've also had a taste of the mind-numbing monotonity and isolation from friends and family that comes with such a routine, so the aforementioned group have enjoyed the past few months a lot more than I have and it definitely has been a struggle, the 35-40 hour week (the job wasn't the greatest either, working as a carnie at Luna Park). But in the end it was worth it - this Wednesday I'm off on my own for a month around South East Asia, all expenses paid by moi (or most of it anyway), from passports to airfares and accomodation, it was something I really wanted to do (I didn't go to Schoolies), so yeah.

I know a couple of people who are going on a gap year - one of them is also going to England on a 6month working holiday. If you want a compromise, study part time so you can work a bit more. That way you'll earn and save more while making progress towards graduation and subsequently, your ideal career. It's what I might do upon my return should I get a proper job in the public service.

EmMindelan

done, and happy
HSC
I've already deferred uni this year, for a number of reasons.

1) I'm only 17, and I won't turn 18 until October. So rather than start uni underage, I figure that I have that spare year that a lot of my friends [who are 18 already and turn 19 this year] don't have.
2) The HSC nearly killed me, and I'm going to be doing law next year. I think I need a break.
3) A Gap year seemed like it was a good option at the time [and is still seeming like a really good idea].
4) I didn't feel ready for uni.

So I'm currently in England, working at a school. I've been here for a month and I'm having a great time. It's really nice to have a break from studying and work, given that I worked my ass off last year....I think that working full-time and living away from home is helping me develop my independence like you wouldn't believe, and forcing me to grow up a lot more than I would have if I was still living at home and going to uni, given that my parents are however many thousands of miles away and can't do stuff for me...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)