The right to bully (1 Viewer)

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
bullying could easily lead to substancial losses to future earnings due to the bullied child not meeting their potential at school

thus potential $$$ compensation

G4_SuperTeam

HSC
Why don't kids just harden the fuck up.

Also Shane, nothing is stopping the kids from going on those webpages. Bebo, Facebook, Myspace; they all have features that allow you to block people from accessing your profile. You can block and delete on MSN.

It's not hard.
i reckon! dont wna get bullied? delete ur myspace/facebook. no one if forcing u to go on the internet and get cyber bullied. end of problem.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The school has a right to act on vilification as it's detrimental to the education of the victim. She's not having her freedom of speech curtailed, and if she doesn't like it she can fuck off to another school.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Cyber-bullying. Ban and forget, not that hard.

And usually ignoring them just makes them stop.

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
The school has a right to act on vilification as it's detrimental to the education of the victim. She's not having her freedom of speech curtailed, and if she doesn't like it she can fuck off to another school.
I guess a private school does have such a right.

Public schools shouldn't exist, but given that they do, unfortunately it becomes a question of public policy.

Public schools should not be wasting their already stretched resources on this, nor should they be punishing students for things that happen outside school property.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
I guess a private school does have such a right.

Public schools shouldn't exist, but given that they do, unfortunately it becomes a question of public policy.

Public schools should not be wasting their already stretched resources on this, nor should they be punishing students for things that happen outside school property.
Lol.

Public schools need to exist or most of Australia would be uneducated...

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
Lol.

Public schools need to exist or most of Australia would be uneducated...
Most of Australia is already uneducated because of the third rate education people receive in the public system.

Why waste resources attempting to educate people who have no desire to be there, and who are not learning anything that is useful for their future career anyway.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Most of Australia is already uneducated because of the third rate education people receive in the public system.

Why waste resources attempting to educate people who have no desire to be there, and who are not learning anything that is useful for their future career anyway.
True... But they can't say "you have to have said amount of I.Q. to attend school" can they?

Public school is not useless, and it is rather conceded to think this if you attend a private school. Some of the smartest people I know went to a public school and blow any private school attendees out of the water.

Some education is better than none. Given, the definition of career has changed in recent years. Most people will change job or "career" four or five times in their life... Meaning that you have to constantly be learning new things, no matter what type of position you fulfill.

If everyone was simply completely uneducated, Australia would end up like southern America. Is that what you want?

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
True... But they can't say "you have to have said amount of I.Q. to attend school" can they?

Public school is not useless, and it is rather conceded to think this if you attend a private school. Some of the smartest people I know went to a public school and blow any private school attendees out of the water.

Some education is better than none. Given, the definition of career has changed in recent years. Most people will change job or "career" four or five times in their life... Meaning that you have to constantly be learning new things, no matter what type of position you fulfill.

If everyone was simply completely uneducated, Australia would end up like southern America. Is that what you want?
I went to a public school, they are not all bad, indeed you can learn almost anywhere if you are motivated.

But so many people are simply forced to be in school. As a result they simply act out and waste everybody's time when they could be out working and learning practical skills.

A classroom environment is simply not a good place for a hyperactive, unintelligent 15 year old boy.

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
Again I agree, often it is just muckin around not even serious anyway (though I admit not always). It's different when it becomes physical, however when it's just petty name calling, you can say shit back too, or just not let it bother you.
Emotional abuse in many instances can be far more detrimental to a child's development than physical abuse. If a parent were deriding and name-calling on a daily basis it would be very much frowned upon.

Children spend a great deal of their lives in their school environment, and feeling unsafe and ostracised is bound to affect a child considerably. Teachers are caregivers as well as educators, and if they were to ignore a child who is highly emotionally distressed they would be failing to give that child any sense of security in an environment that, along with the home, dominates how their world is shaped.

Im not saying its not serious, Im saying that this is not a solution. How about you answer the questions I posed, cause guess what, we don't have unlimited time and resources to spend dealing with cyber bullying, and what actually crosses the line is extremely subjective and difficult to determine.

Perhaps its not a good idea to teach children to run to the authorities every time someone upsets them. The internet is a perfect example of where people you don't like have an off button, and its a good lesson that sometimes people will be difficult and often the best thing to do is simply not to associate with them.
As above, it is not about authorities punishing people or saying who is good and bad; it is about the caregiving figures in a child's life making an effort to ensure a child's sense of safety and security.

In some cases, the fact of simply acknowledging that a child is being bullied and dealing with an immense amount of pain, and doing something to make their life at school a little easier (a life which they cannot avoid because, legally, children must attend school) could be all that is needed to ease the situation.

Being overly extreme and saying that we should give everyone carte blanche to say what they want, whenever they want, is a lazy solution that doesn't resolve anything.

Being emotionally hurt is extremely subjective. If we are to say people have a right to not have their feelings hurt online (when browsing sites they can easily just close if they don't like) we can start to ban all sorts of things.

I prefer to err on the side of caution when it comes to protecting free speech, and that means preserving a right to unlimited free speech.

If that results in some kids getting away with being mean to each other, then so be it.

It's also extremely difficult and expensive to interpret all the millions of pieces of communication that could potentially be the subject of litigation.

How does a court, or a school principal, determine if a comment was a lighthearted joke between friends or a serious jab.

How serious must bullying be before it can be dealt with in such a way. Is a minor insult like "you're fat" enough?

Is it a good use of limited resources of schools and/or the legal system to be considering such matters?
Of course being emotionally hurt is subjective; physical pain is, too. However, it's a very basic level compassion to respect that others have different pain thresholds (emotionally and physically). Just as we wouldn't go around cutting people just because we, personally, can bear that particular pain, we should understand that not everyone has the exact same emotional thresholds as we do.

(Not that people should be constantly wrapped in cotton wool or anything, but you certainly don't need to bring about pain unprovoked just because you know you can.)

In making the original statement the onus is on the slanderer to prove their accusation. For example if I called someone fat, ugly or stupid then I would need to substantiate that claim when I made it. "My god that fat bastard weighs 85kgs and he's only 11", etc etc.

Concepts of defammation/libel create the impression that everything which is published is true and must be disproved by the slandered person. Remove the concepts entirely and the discourse is seen for what it is. And it is not always true.
In the case of children and school yard bullying, there is very little need for "proof" before a rumour or a rude nickname gets out of hand.

How many 8 year olds do you think request hard, empirical evidence when someone spreads a story that a fat kid shit his pants one day?

samartarse

HSC
some pple constantly attract attention, ,,,,,,,,,,, if they shut up,,,,,, they wont get bullied...............ive been bullied for other reasons though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)