The Rise Of Evil (1 Viewer)

big al

Banned
Did anyone last night watch the hitler thing on channel 7

i watched it do you thik it is historically accurate though

i though it ws good as it is refreshing my memory on germany saves that little bit of study

Alexander

Gold Member
rise of evil thingy

I watched it too. I thought it was pretty cool but i dont know about entirely accurate.
It jogged my memory a fair bit, like yourself, and i think the movie is automatically biased because everything hitler does has to be evil-hence the name.
The first thing that popped into my head when i saw the hitler actor was that if you wak a little moustach on most people, they remind you of hitler, but the full monty dude didnt cut it for me!
I thought Ludendorff could've been better too. (more angry etc.)
They didnt explain that he leaft Austria to excape military service. And the only visible anti-semetism expressed was first in his book mein campf.
They showed him speaking and stuff, but they werent very convincing speeches. The real hitler wouldve put much more thought and stuff into them to win the crowds he did. The full monty dude just spat a lot and pointed his fingers.
I dont know. It seemed a bit corny, big budget U.S stuffv - not entirely historical.
Other than that, i was fairly impressed with it, despite the late start and adds every minute.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I missed most of it because of work & yet to watch the tape, but from what i've heard of it both parts combined only recount is life up until 1933 where he finally consolidates power. I think it would be alot more interesting if they had created a film which incoporated all the events leading up until his suicide such as Krystallnacht, Night of the Long Knives etc etc. But from what i've seen, it's pretty accurate & good.

s2ophie

HSC
ian kershaw was supposedly involved but he walked off the project because it was not historically accurate. I didn't watch it, I couldn't be bothered!

kass

HSC
Yeah I watched it, I thought it was pretty good, it was a great memory jolter, and I was able to say, oh yeah I remember that event from doing that in class.

When is the second part on?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I watched half of it and I thought it was crappy...

First of all, they all had English accents... umm aren't they German?

And secondly I didn't think it was very historically accurate.

And thirdly, the lead looked nothing like Hitler at all... I've seen better hitlers in reenactments in documentaries...

I didn't think it was very good. Give me a quality documentary any day. (I never ever thought I would say that)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i saw theh start of it but i didn't like it. i wasnt expecting it to be like a movie type of thing, and it took 2 long 2 start

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I thought he looked alot like Hitler. Then again, they should have asked my History teacher to step in for him. Deadringer!

All in all, I liked it. Hitler still scares the shit out of me now & that whole thing with his neice proved how utterly disturbed he was. And I felt so sorry for the Sophie who got her husbands glasses back in the mail. Hitler was a beast.

Annabanana

I was apaulled. Couldnt the guy even pretend to have a German Accent?

And also, about his interpretation as Hitler as a complete and utter psycho...yes his ideas were, and he wasn't normal, but to scream/slander/spit at/defy etc people with high authority would have been counter-productive for Hitler, he was a fantastic manipulator not a ragging lunatic in the beggining (Ahem on that note I want to re-affirm I didn't know the bastard). And the wagner music with him in the Beer Hall doing some weird hand gestures in slow motion, requiring the guy (forgot his name) to keep quiet and keep playing...WHAT was that? If you had billions would you invest in a ragging lunatic? Grr made me so angry, but hey it's the movies right?!

Just dissapoints me that after so many discoveries about him were made, about the political atmosphere and the Third Reich, movies still go back to an ignorant way of dealing with the concept...

just my 2cents (or maybe 5cents cos this rant is long, sorry)

Alexander

Gold Member
Everyone says they didnt like the english accents, but i thought they were great. It made you forget that they were German, and it related it more to us. I think it makes more sence to speak english english, rather than english in a german accent. makes much more sence. It didnt distract you, and it could provide a point of view better, so we could see how hitler was evil, without automatically associating him with germans....that would be racism!
But i agree with the last comment that he was overacted. They didnt reeeeeally back up whyyyy people followed him---he consistently appeared mad and evil, which was biased (although it was funny when he was spitting the cupcake all over the table) and the good guys were against him, but people we never even got to know loved him! They consistent with his anti-semitism (he was crazy against jews in first one, but barely mentiones them in the second)
And like you guys, i was really dissapointed that they stopped when he got his power...i wanted to see the part when he goes insane and towards the end of the war imagines new victories etc. or tryes to destroy germany with him. Perhaps a new series "hitler, decline and fall of evil"

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I agree with Annabanana... and with the accents, I was so distracted because the accents weren't german! I laughed when the paper boy was holding up a newspaper written in German while every one was speaking as if they lived in London!!!

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Much of it was either embellished or made up for entertainment purposes. I spoke to my history teacher the next day and he said if you rely on that kiss your marks goodbye (we had a good ol' bitsch about the inaccuracies and misrespresentation that was rife all the way through it)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Yeah my dad (WW2 buff) and I were also talking about the innacuracies, and I only watched half of the first part lol.

enter~space~cap

{Enter-Space-Capsule}
well i havent done hitler yet coz im still stuck in prelim, but i still reckons the shows all cool and stuff. I think it'll give you a rough idea on what the environment then would've been like for starters. And apparently some poeple complained in the papers the next day because of a broadcast commentary that was right in the end of the credits where they showed all the dead jews

pranks85

That movie was about as accurate as pearl harbour - it had the dates and events right, and that's about it.

Like most Hitler movies, it dehumanised him, which is incredibly dangerous. The truth is, Hitler was never a non-human; he indulged in fanaticism, which is a very human fault, and by dehumanising him, rather than understanding how and why he came to power, they're basically opening the way for some other fanatic, of whatever ideology, to step up to the platform.

madam_pyro

HSC
N/A
I've gotta say that from a non historical perspective I rather enjoyed it (although I agree with you guys that said the English accents made you cack yourselves) and he did scare the crap out of me, but yeah it was completely inaccurate. I guess you kinda just had to forget that to enjoy it.
Question- had any of you guys actually heard about that whole infatuation with his niece before you saw the film? I actually hadn't so thats why I was asking (actually I hadn't heard about his father beng his mothers uncle either. ewwww)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
The other sad thing about this film's historical inaccuracies is that in some cases, the film would have been more exciting if they had kept them in.

Like for example, when this movie depicts the passing of the Enabling Act, it presents it as if it was a unamious decision with all Reichstag members (At least they got the location right, the Kroll Opera House) singing Deutschland Uber Alles, when in reality, the Enabling Act passed 441-84, which lead to Otto Weiss (Leader of the Social Democrats, the only party to vote against it) passionately defending the previous laws, These ideals are eternal and indestructible, which lead to Hitler going into somewhat of a rage, shouting [/i]Germany's star will rise, but yours will fall![/i].

I mean, it (the reality) subtly establishes that Hitler was indeed an evil person, has tension and is historically accurate. It's a shame, especially when a large portion of the audience would view the entire film as being essentially true, and it's an even sadder comment that the film-makers found it necesssary to add in incidents like the 'puppy-kicking' just to make the point with a sledgehammer.. :(

Nearly as sad as people saying that historical accuracy basically doesn't matter in historical films. :( :(

Alexander

Gold Member
What a rant! Cmon man! Honestly, you're kidding yourself if you think that their director was folowing the HSC NSW syllabus.
Find the good, man! It was preliminary stuff for a big war that many people know about. Not very important! -Useful in SOME aspects for our modern history course.
That's what I hate about history, the pessimism. Always so negative. Its like these religious fanatics who learn most of the religous beliefs, in order to gain the ability to tell people they're wrong---to give themselves a crappy sence of power.
(but I do agree with you on the enabling act, a big point)

Benno

HSC
u hate history being to pessimistic? well thats wat history is about looking at ther bad things so we dont reapeat the same mistakes like letting another hitler get into power or letting another pol pot kill 2 million innocent people in the name of reform/communism.
but i agree the film was totaly historicly inaccurte, but i suppose they had to make Hitler seem evil from the start etc for the jews and germans

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by Alexander
What a rant! Cmon man! Honestly, you're kidding yourself if you think that their director was folowing the HSC NSW syllabus.
Find the good, man! It was preliminary stuff for a big war that many people know about. Not very important! -Useful in SOME aspects for our modern history course.
That's what I hate about history, the pessimism. Always so negative. Its like these religious fanatics who learn most of the religous beliefs, in order to gain the ability to tell people they're wrong---to give themselves a crappy sence of power.
(but I do agree with you on the enabling act, a big point)
I realise that the director wasn't following our syllabus (Although it would be entertaining if he was.. Every few seconds, a question would flash on screen..A edutainment revolution. :D) but I still maintain that there is some responsibility to telling the truth, especially to an audience that is expecting such, and even through sticking strictly to the truth, it's easy to establish that Adolf Hitler was indeed an evil man. But anyways...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)