• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

the role of von Schleicher? (1 Viewer)

hallelujah.

HSC
I am currently writing my oral on the role of the army in the Weimer Republic and have a few notes on the role of Schleicher, but i cant really figure out what his role was. I have written down in my class notes that he created the conditions that allowed Hitler to come to power but i cant ask my teacher til tuesday and this is due thursday. Can anyone explain?? ta x

bling05

HSC
Off the top of my head, he was chancellor prior to Hitler, and only survived for two months, being dismissed by Hindenburg on the 28th of January 1933, with Hitler being appointed chancellor two days later. But it has to be said Schleicher's role isn't that significant that you need to know about him in great detail.

Zephyrio

HSC
bling05 said:
Off the top of my head, he was chancellor prior to Hitler, and only survived for two months, being dismissed by Hindenburg on the 28th of January 1933, with Hitler being appointed chancellor two days later. But it has to be said Schleicher's role isn't that significant that you need to know about him in great detail.
Actually, his role was quite significant because it was his political plotting and intrigue which paved the way for Hitler's Chancellorship. He played a big role in persuading the impressionable, old and arguably senile Hindenburg during the early 1930s, weakening the democracy by the numerous replacements and assignments of chancellors. Off the top of my head, he was part of Hindenburg's closest advisors, and when von Papen replaced Bruning, Schleicher convinced Hindenburg that von Papen was not far-right enough and that he was doing a dodgy job. Schleicher succeeded von Papen, but von Papen was fuming - so he made a deal with Hitler: Hitler gets to be chancellor and von Papen vice chancellor, but the cabinet can only be composed of three Nazis. As if Hitler would listen. Anyway, back to the point: Schleicher's political movements within Hindenburg's inner circle certainly added to the destabilisation of Germany which was already beign devastated by the G. D.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)