"The selective school that has abolished exams. Yes, really" (1 Viewer)

Papercutter

HSC
So story is, Hurlstone Agricultural High School has introduced new methods of assessing students along with the "conventional exams".

Mark Latham, a former student ('78) at this school and past politician has something to say about this; which he wrote in a letter handed out to the parent and student community about a couple weeks ago. The principal then responded to this by writing his own letter addressed to parents and students, to which Latham almost completely ignored and took on to online social media to complain about how Hurlstone has "abolished exams" (even though it hasn't). Any thoughts? Personally I think the article below is heavily biased and very unprofessionally written.

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/rend...exams-yes-really/story-fnpug1jf-1227470159521

Last edited:

Evertone

HSC
I completely agree with the Principal. He will be gloriously vindicated by history. Latham et al. have no concept of what kind of pressure kids really feel under those kind of environments. And this method, I can see, will be make for a far, far better distinction between the pathetic robots and true achievers.

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
Latham et al. have no concept of what kind of pressure kids really feel under those kind of environments..
To be fair, he attended the school and presumably sat the exams, so he has probably has felt that kind of "pressure". Agree with OP though, dumb article.

Fiction

HSC
I thought school, fundamentally, was meant to prepare students for the HSC. Massive generalisation, but seeing that it is a selective school, most of the cohort would be aiming for University. Assuming they are, and seeing that the HSC consists of a series of exams, then wouldn't getting rid of school assessments/exams kind of go against at least one of the roles of a school?

Last edited:

pomsky

HSC
"But they are under siege from the old hippies of the education establishment, academics and sections of the media..."

Not sure if hippies was the best word to use. LOL.

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
Yea but he attended in like what, the 1970's?
He did assessments--perhaps different kinds, but I assume they would have also been associated with stress. Stress isn't necessarily a bad thing, and if managed well, helps students perform at an optimal level.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)