The Ship has sailed, my friends! (1 Viewer)

TheStudent

HSC
While I was standing on the dock, I just stood there thinking I had at least another week. But No...

What am I talking about?
Making friends.

I left it too long and now everyone has friends but me. 4 Years of lonely study here I come.

Anyone else in a similar boat (no pun intended) to me?

omgd.

HSC
N/A
While I was standing on the dock, I just stood there thinking I had at least another week. But No...

What am I talking about?
Making friends.

I left it too long and now everyone has friends but me. 4 Years of lonely study here I come.

Anyone else in a similar boat (no pun intended) to me?
What Uni do you go to ? Just talk to some people, youll still make friends. For all you know people have just made friends with anyone just for the sake of not being alone. They may not even like their friends and will leave them when something better comes along ;) I read this in some Uni guide thing on the train ahhaa. so keep trying. I already have my group of school friends at Uni + some others i met along the way, but im still more than happy to make more friends. Whether it be now, a month from now or 6 months from now :)

TheStudent

HSC
What Uni do you go to ? Just talk to some people, youll still make friends. For all you know people have just made friends with anyone just for the sake of not being alone. They may not even like their friends and will leave them when something better comes along ;) I read this in some Uni guide thing on the train ahhaa. so keep trying. I already have my group of school friends at Uni + some others i met along the way, but im still more than happy to make more friends. Whether it be now, a month from now or 6 months from now :)
Thanks for the advice, but I doubt it.

No one wanted to be friends with me at school, I was silly to think that I'd make friends at uni.

HSC
I was in your position. What about your tutes? That's where you can talk to those in your course a bit more.

FutureSight01

IS NOT ASIAN!
HSC
I've found you can make friends in the boring lectures and by joining socs etc and going to events and so on. It's easier to talk then. Of course if you talk in boring lectures the guy may ask if you would rather pay less to watch a movie than pay to go to uni and go talk in there. (Yes it happened today lol)

omgd.

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the advice, but I doubt it.

No one wanted to be friends with me at school, I was silly to think that I'd make friends at uni.
well not with that attitude !:p just look for someone that smiles at you. or someone standing by themselves looking lonely ( theres always one of those ! ) and just go up and say hi. and just be confident. confidence is the key ;) on the first day there was this guy who looked quite lonely. he was sitting by himself eating a sandwich & i was like " sooo.... whats in ur standwich :p" and he was like =/ and started laughing & it was a funny/ easy way to lessen the tension. granted it was stupid but it did the trick ;) just be nice and friendly, and everyone will want to be your friend :)

oh & might i add. this isnt school & no one from your school will be around all the time. so you dont have to be the guy that didnt have any friends. you can be the guy who was surrounded by friends. its a fresh start ;) make it what you want :D

TheStudent

HSC
well not with that attitude !:p just look for someone that smiles at you. or someone standing by themselves looking lonely ( theres always one of those ! ) and just go up and say hi. and just be confident. confidence is the key ;) on the first day there was this guy who looked quite lonely. he was sitting by himself eating a sandwich & i was like " sooo.... whats in ur standwich :p" and he was like =/ and started laughing & it was a funny/ easy way to lessen the tension. granted it was stupid but it did the trick ;) just be nice and friendly, and everyone will want to be your friend :)

oh & might i add. this isnt school & no one from your school will be around all the time. so you dont have to be the guy that didnt have any friends. you can be the guy who was surrounded by friends. its a fresh start ;) make it what you want :D
Lol. I tried talking to one guy, then he told me to be quiet because he was trying to copy down lecture notes from the powerpoint. Yet he could have just downloaded them...

omgd.

HSC
N/A
Lol. I tried talking to one guy, then he told me to be quiet because he was trying to copy down lecture notes from the powerpoint. Yet he could have just downloaded them...
aw lol. well during the lecture probably isnt a good idea. try when youre standing outside before you go in to a lecture or tutes. =) be like are u in this lecture " obvious answer: yess. " ohh what course are you doing. let them answer, make a comment about their course ( something postive) and then tell them what youre doing and just go from there. try and spot out a first year if you can :)

HSC
i'm having this problem too, i'm pretty shy. i sit next to someone in a lecture and my thought process is something like this:

talk to them!
no dont!
talk to them!
no dont!

etc you may be able to infer that i am socially retarded.

and i dont live in the area so it's hard to stay around for events, i haven't joined any clubs yet but that might be my mission next week.

TheStudent

HSC
i'm having this problem too, i'm pretty shy. i sit next to someone in a lecture and my thought process is something like this:

talk to them!
no dont!
talk to them!
no dont!

etc you may be able to infer that i am socially retarded.

and i dont live in the area so it's hard to stay around for events, i haven't joined any clubs yet but that might be my mission next week.
That's just like me. But every chance i've taken ive been let down in an embarressing way and makes it even harder next time.

TheStudent

HSC
aw lol. well during the lecture probably isnt a good idea. try when youre standing outside before you go in to a lecture or tutes. =) be like are u in this lecture " obvious answer: yess. " ohh what course are you doing. let them answer, make a comment about their course ( something postive) and then tell them what youre doing and just go from there. try and spot out a first year if you can :)
The only reason I wait until lectures is because then that person actually chose to sit next to me, when other seats are available. The only time Ive spoken to someone while waiting was some asian guy but it was too hard to understand him with his accent. Every sentance I was like what? what? and then I'd just nod to avoid saying "what" again and it got awkward coz he asked me a question...

But yeah it's not working out for me.

HSC
That's just like me. But every chance i've taken ive been let down in an embarressing way and makes it even harder next time.
yeah it kind of knocks your confidence, doesn't it? not that i've been let down because i haven't tried yet, but i know the feeling. what uni do you go to?

omgd.

HSC
N/A
The only reason I wait until lectures is because then that person actually chose to sit next to me, when other seats are available. The only time Ive spoken to someone while waiting was some asian guy but it was too hard to understand him with his accent. Every sentance I was like what? what? and then I'd just nod to avoid saying "what" again and it got awkward coz he asked me a question...

I think youre thinking too much into it. But if youve already had bad experiences thats understandable. Just keep in mind that, even if it does go down bad, theres a good chance hte person wont remember who you were in a week considering there are so many faces in uni and atleast 300students in a lecture. So just keep trying. Its better than having no friends right ?

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC

What degree do you do and where do you do it?

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
I was in your position. What about your tutes? That's where you can talk to those in your course a bit more.
+1

you kind of have to talk to people in tutes, or just talk in tutes in general. however, it does suck when the people you talk to aren't doing your course or even in your year.

TheStudent

HSC
+1

you kind of have to talk to people in tutes, or just talk in tutes in general. however, it does suck when the people you talk to aren't doing your course or even in your year.
Well I took a random seat in my tute, no one sat near me. Then the tutor said talk to the person next to you for a bit. Everyone did but me because I had no one near me. It was quite awkward, me looking around at people and when the tutor looked at me and noticed he said, right lets start then.

I was like the 3rd in, I thought people would fill in, but its like they avoided me.

HSC
I was like the 3rd in, I thought people would fill in, but its like they avoided me.
i think you're being a bit paranoid there, maybe you just sat somewhere that was inconvenient to sit. or maybe you looked nervous and people mistook that for being like 'don't sit here'

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
Well I took a random seat in my tute, no one sat near me. Then the tutor said talk to the person next to you for a bit. Everyone did but me because I had no one near me. It was quite awkward, me looking around at people and when the tutor looked at me and noticed he said, right lets start then.

think about your body language, perhaps? you'd be surprised at how much it makes a difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)