The skunks who get a UAI of 100 (1 Viewer)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Courtenay
you wouldnt get 100 with esl
yes u would
check this site from UAC: http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/tableA1-2003HSC-fin.pdf
it lists each subject and the maximum UAI gained by a student studying that subject (ie, the person/s who got the highest UAI in the entire canditure of that single subject)

for ESL - the highest someone got for UAI was 100
for Std English, the highest someone got was 99.70

toisthbe

Evil Member
thats right..
lol my friend is pissed at me for tellin u guys,

i mean wats there to bve pissed,...hes like probably 1st person ever to get 100 wif esl..
he should be proud...i mean he did really well in all other subjects..thats y he gets 100

so yeh dont pissed at me u fool..

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
It isn't fair that ESL gets scaled better than Standard when the content is just so fcuking easy. Not that I should really be complaining, since I did advanced, but I have friends who did standard and suffered over the work for nothing - they ended up with 60's and 70's.

I think you, (ESL students) should not complain about having to learn english, if you are willing to live in an english-speaking country. As a result, it should be only fair that either you aren't given the scaling you don't really deserve, or you study english elsewhere (eg. TAFE/bridging course)

It seems harsh, but from the perspective of a non-english speaking background person, born in Aust, I think it's more than fair.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
One of these days, chudy, you're going to have to accept that courses aren't scaled because they're hard or easy. :p

^___^
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
One of these days, chudy, you're going to have to accept that courses aren't scaled because they're hard or easy. :p
nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

/me jumps out of the window

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by CHUDYMASTER
It isn't fair that ESL gets scaled better than Standard when the content is just so fcuking easy.
I think you, (ESL students) should not complain about having to learn english
As what Laz said, scaling has got nothing to do with the difficulty of the course. ESL scales better than Standard simply because the candidates doing ESL gained better overall results than Standard students. Therefore the quality of the candidate in ESL is better and hence the better scaling.

As to the comment you made about ESL students complaining, who is complaining?? It looks like you are the only one complaining here.

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
Ok, I need to make a few affirmations here:

Firstly, Lazarus, you're probably right, as I may have conceded in that debate we had previously, BUT - it shouldn't be done that way - the system is far from perfect, which is what I'm saying when I say it's unfair.

And Survivor, I was speaking hypothetically, based on what I was proposing. (i.e. you would complain if you had to do standard/advanced, wouldn't you? ...i know i did, hehe)

Anyways, I'm not out for another crazy debate with swears and blood and mayhem, as my discussions usually end up...I was just making an observation.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by flyin'
Your changes of gettin' a UAI of 100 with ESL is probably 1,000 times greater than if you did Standard.
Originally posted by Survivor39
I disagree. ESL scale UP if you get a band 6.
The highest mark for ESL this year was 96, which got scaled to 100.

So I don't know what you people are on about the slim chance of getting UAI of 100 by doing ESL.

And No, this person didn't came first in ESL.
Originally posted by Constip8edSkunk
flyin' meant the person had a HIGHER chance of getting 100 by doing ESL as opposed to doing standard english.... unless you are saying it should be 10000 times greater or something :D
Originally posted by Survivor39
whoops, i misread. sorry flyin'
yeah. more chance of 100 UAI with ESL.
:D

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC

BUT - it shouldn't be done that way - the system is far from perfect, which is what I'm saying when I say it's unfair.
And what is the 'perfect system' to you?

toisthbe

Evil Member
shut up ketan bhatt, i mean chudy.

esl is for ppl who came from non english speaking bakground to australia for less than 5 years..

so he came in year 10, i fink he deserves to do the esl course, i fink if u've been here for more than 5 years..than u should handle the standard course well enough...
n fuking, i h8 when ppl like u generalise asians as being good at maths and science..

n u're sayin how ppl get scaled so easily in esl, my friend came top 5 at least in esl, thats y he got 100..

im standard u see..(from english above)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I told you, ESL should be eradicated. There should be no such thing.
I
pffft. that's like saying General maths should be eradicated.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by ND
Look at the honour roll:

Economics, English as a Second Language, Mathematics Extension 1, Mathematics Extension 2, Physics

That's from a guy who got 100.
how the heck can a guy who does esl, kill economics- i always thought economics was an essay writing subject. :s

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
how the heck can a guy who does esl, kill economics- i always thought economics was an essay writing subject. :s
-Cuz he killed ESL, go figure. IN FACT, I've just had a thought: a better alternative would be to make the subject "capped" as we once thought Standard was, since no one who can do that well in ESL should be even doing ESL...

toisthbe

Evil Member
Originally posted by freaking_out
obviously u dont know what esl is, u jus fink esl is for ppl who are bad at english...no

esl is for ppl who came to australia for less than 5 years..from a non-bakground-speaking country..(som exceptions though)
so even though they studied som english in china or korea..or whereever.. i fink if they dont speak english when they grew up, they fully deserve the right to do esl,

and chudy, u are one fuker..lol
get a life, u are simply jealous of my friend, and u kno it :)

^___^
HSC
i dun think he understood what esl means

english as second language..

u know...a system to help new comers...

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
idiots. of course i understand what ESL is, that's why I suggested doing a BRIDGING course. I don't think either of you understand what I'm saying.

As for being jealous, how am I? I got the UAI I aimed for, now I'm simply voicing my opinions on the system. It's not my fault you can't get your head out of Martin's ass (I don't mean to offend martin by that)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)