The skunks who get a UAI of 100 (2 Viewers)

^___^
HSC
haha

this system is never fair(depends on what side of the fence ur on really) and no one can make a perfect system...

this system i can say is very good..

try compare it to HK, there u have like 3HSC yr b4 u can go to uni, saying that, their emphasis on english is surprising high(though still nothing compare to likes of Singapor and Korea/Japan)

as for the bridging course, its really hard to make it take place cos you are expecting students to take this course outside school as well as having studying course work..

ESL is good and i do feel unfairly treated as i do standard and watching ppl doing esl have better scaling...but if ur worried about scaling, shouldn't a person aimed advance in the first place or tried to get into the "safety" area of std marks...

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
how the heck can a guy who does esl, kill economics- i always thought economics was an essay writing subject. :s
Are you an idiot? a person doing ESL doesn't mean he/she can't write essay or bad in English.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by CHUDYMASTER
idiots. of course i understand what ESL is, that's why I suggested doing a BRIDGING course. I don't think either of you understand what I'm saying.
That's like saying General Maths should be eradicated and everyone that wants to do Maths must do Maths 2U. And those who are not capable of doing 2U should do a bridging course.

you must be an arse to come up with that philosophy.....

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
Nope, that comparison is flawed. You don't see why I'm disputing this! It's because ESL gets reasonable > good scaling, whereas general maths gets pathetic scaling.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The scaling of the ESL course has always been below average, and has always been less than the scaling of the combined Standard/Advanced English candidature.

Your claim that "ESL gets scaled better than Standard" is not true.

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
omg, how can you say that I'm wrong when I'm looking at table A2 RIGHT NOW!!

Please, explain to me if i'm interpretting this table incorrectly, but let me refer you to Standard english scaled marks for the 90th percentile:

HSC MARK: 37.5
SCALED MARK: 28.4
DIFFERENCE: 9.1

Now here's the data on ESL for the 90th percentile:

HSC MARK: 42.0
SCALED MARK: 37.9
DIFFERENCE: 4.1

There is a clear 5.0 mark difference between the 2 in terms of scaling down.

Ergo, I'm right - Standard is poorly scaled compared to ESL

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
And look at the HSC mark!
To be in the 90th percentile for Standard only require a HSC of 75.....In contrast, to be in the 90th percentile in ESL, you need a HSC mark of 84!

That's a difference of 9 HSC marks. And hence, the extra 9 marks compensated for the better scaled mark.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Actually the whole scaling system isn't all that good. Let's abolish that, too. :D While we're at it, what about uni grades as well. :p

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
Cyph please...read what I'm saying - because I seriously can't answer that question AGAIN

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
Yup, I'm discriminating between right and wrong, buddy. :D

Survivor: don't you see something wrong with that??? The candidature for standard is so high and yet hardly anyone is permitted to get above 75...yet the ESL ppl can score an easy band 5, by doing something much much easier.

I agree with flyin', blow the system to Hell for all I care...

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
"The candidature for standard is so high and yet hardly anyone is permitted to get above 75...yet the ESL ppl can score an easy band 5, by doing something much much easier."

The sole reason they are not getting over 75 is because they are NOT GOOD ENOUGH.
And you can never relate anything to do with the difficulty of the course in a scaling discussion...

ESL is designed for a reason. And frankly you can't do shit about it.

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
Survivor, Standard is obviously better at english than you (or rather they should be) - that much you can't deny.

The raw mark could be quite high for Standard actually- there's no way to tell. Similarly the raw marks for ESL could be quite crap. The BOS alligned marks are what bring out the final HSC marks and since Standard are marked against Advanced, rather than ESL, they do comparatively poorer. Then UAC couples this with poor scaling and things only get worse for them.

Survivor, I'm getting some negative vibes man, take it easy, hehe. I know very well that I can't do anything about it, but I'm very bored and voicing my thoughts. Got a problem? T'bad.

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
Jealous of whom??? I said already, I got what I wanted!

fm

very vicious arguments, but teach u guys something about arguing

u can never win an argument by arguing ( who has ever win an argument wif their girlfiends, for instance)

but there is a theory called "feel, felt, found"

example no.1 "i know how u feel about the uai system, chudymaster, many ppl in this forum and i felt the same way as well,
but what we found at the end of the day is that the reason u are complaining is that u got wasted by heaps ppl

lesson two (or example two) " chudy, i know how u feel about asians (regardless whether they are born here or overseas) being good at maths and science, many ppl in this forum and i felt the same way as well,
but what we found at the end of the day is that all races are good at this, just look at who is top in maths and science
also, we totally understand how it feels to be wasted by asians (at ur school) in areas traditionally dominated by indians, eg bio, chem, phy

so next time, if u guys got any argument wif ur girlfriend, just agree wif her first, then say ur bullshit again

Last edited:

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
lol - there you have it folks- the guy from my school who got 100 with ESL.

fm

yeah, ther u have it folks
who thinks my way of arguing is more effective than chudy, lets have a vote

Last edited:

toisthbe

Evil Member
dude, as once posted by babydoll a while bak

'arguing on the internet is like participating in the paralympics, even if u win, u're still a retard'

chudy..*knudge knudge*

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by CHUDYMASTER
Please, explain to me if i'm interpretting this table incorrectly
Certainly.

I quote from page 15 of the 2001 report:

Combined courses
As the Board of Studies had placed Standard and Advanced English marks on a common
scale, these courses were combined and scaled as a single course.

And again on page 29:

Raw HSC marks for Standard and Advanced English are then combined, and scaled as a
single course. A given raw HSC mark yields the same scaled mark for Standard and
Advanced students.
For the purposes of reporting the Standard and Advanced students are separated.

These comments were repeated in the 2002 report.

The scaled mean for the combined Standard/Advanced candidature is ~25, greater than that of ESL.

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
So basically, you're telling me that a 90 in standard is as good as a 90 in advanced -very well...or rather...NOT WELL!!

I simply cannot believe that standard candidates can't achieve marks usually beyond 80 - they should incorporate ESL into the mix and see how it goes.

Meh, I'm done with this debate. It's like 20 on 1, so meh...

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The disbelief regarding the abilities of Standard students was also addressed in the 2001 report (p20):

The lack of any English Standard students in performance band 6 and only a very small
number in band 5 attracted much attention but the pattern was entirely consistent with the
performance of Standard students on the common paper. Few Standard students received
high marks on this paper and, as markers were unaware of which scripts were from Standard
students and which were from Advanced students, there could be no bias in the marking of
this paper...

Obviously, their performance on the common paper is representative of their performance in the course overall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)