The Stolen Children: Their Stories (1 Viewer)

Do you do Stolen Children?

• Yes

Votes: 16 88.9%
  • No

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

mastermind

I was just wondering how many people ACTUALLY do stolen children - because i havent seen any talk about it, or any notes at bored of studies about it

Fire_and_Ice

I was actually gonna use it as an ORM for Perspectives until I realised it was a prescribed text- so there you go

I also used it in my major project for Ab Studies

I really like it

mastermind

christ_ine (and anyone else who can help!) -

how did you write about stolen children then? like what sections of it did you write about, and did you talk about change in your essay mentioning stolen, or talk about how stolen represents change??

i've been thinking about how stolen represents change, but i can only think about how carmel bird uses emotive language to change the responder's perspective of the stolen gen's plight for an apology....how else does it represent change?? and what other language techniques does she use?

thanks

Last edited:

Fire_and_Ice

You could also talk about how the individual storied may change the way you think- ie I was going to use it for perspectives, and I was going along the lines of how when we read these stories, we have a different perspective on how the Aboriginal people in the country have been treated. Like talk about their experience and how it is different from ours *typical Australian*

And how that can influence us.......

Blah bla bla

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
Carmel Bird (the composer) also tries to change the perspective of the reader (responder) by structuring her text in .... ways.... and using ..... techniques.

For example, she uses Sir Ronald Wilson's thingy as a preface because he is a well known guy, was the president of that commission thingy and his opinions are really high up and matter. He was directly involved with the report and so the composer places his preface first so that the responder will come along and go oh yeah he sounds like an important guy, he knows what he;s talking about.

In her introduction, she uses emotive language to try and evoke pathos in the responder. Imagery, reference to the photo at the front. She aligns her perspective with important people.

There are so many things to talk about her introduciton.

Sorry if this isn't very coherent.

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
Does anyone else think that Carmel Bird is a bitch?

The more I look at The Stolen Children, the more I think hey this isn't a very balanced piece of work.

It's all about perspective.

All the prefaces, introductions, and postscripts coincide with her perspective.

She assumes the role of 'I-am-the-mouth-of-the-nation' when she says in her introduction:

We saw, to our shame, the Prime Minister, John Howard, refuse to apologise on our behalf to Indigenous people for their tragedy and sorrow, and we saw and registered, in fact felt, the shock that this refusal caused to Indigenous people

Really? To OUR shame?
I can't even remember the incident.

She HAS to find someone more important than her to align her perspective with. It's like "whoever's heard of Carmel Bird" but when you say "Kim Beazley" yeah everyone's heard of him.

Carmel Bird only wrote a few pages of the entire book. And yet, she gets all the credit for it. What about all the people who suffered the indiganty when they were spat on, or the humiliation of being sent "down the line" or being raped? She didn't do the research. All she did was go copy-paste other people's stuff and put them togehter, cut out anything that may make the other perspectives reasonable. And whose name goes on the front cover? Carmel Bird. edited.

Now I don't really care either way I'm happy, I don't care about all this political crap, but

There really was no point to this message. I was gonna say it's an egocentered subjective piece of work

but that's why we're studying it.

bubby

I do the stolen Children, I've chosen just one story Johns story I like it the best it shows changing identity also in this sotry... so I have afew quotes about 5 I think I hope thats enough... EEPP!! 2days..:confused:

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
I did the stolen children for the HSC this year, and there are several techniques she uses, in particular her excessive use of various framing devices to position the responder to change perspective and agree with her highly emootive views with respect to indigenous people.

The intro, one story and the perspectives section are the most important to concentrate on. You can never cover it all in the time given (about 7-8 minutes for each text).

Does anyone else think that Carmel Bird is a bitch?
I think so, she tries to change the reader's perspective emotively and she goes way over the top. For example her use of terms such as "systematic genocide".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)