The student guide to study burnout (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Under construction

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
I dont mean to be rude or anything, but this thread is completely incorrect when it comes to burnout. What's being described here is just tiredness or declining motivation.

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
I dont mean to be rude or anything, but this thread is completely incorrect when it comes to burnout. What's being described here is just tiredness or declining motivation.
note how OP said part 1

MrTammoth

HSC
The whole premise is incorrect though.
Burnout
A high school or college student who does little else than cut classes and smoke weed. Usually has long, straight hair and a proclivity toward heavy metal bands of the 70's and 80's. Can often be found in smoke-filled bathrooms and makeshift basement bars.
He used to be a jock but now he's such a burnout!

Bibliography:http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Burnout

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Burnout
A high school or college student who does little else than cut classes and smoke weed. Usually has long, straight hair and a proclivity toward heavy metal bands of the 70's and 80's. Can often be found in smoke-filled bathrooms and makeshift basement bars.
He used to be a jock but now he's such a burnout!

Bibliography:http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Burnout
that doesn't align to the purpose of the thread...

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
How so?

Aren't there overlaps with burnout and loss of motivation though?
Not really. Burn out is when you do so much work you physically and mentally hurt and can't do anymore...

enoilgam

HSC
Not really. Burn out is when you do so much work you physically and mentally hurt and can't do anymore...
This - what's being described here is a common misconception of burnout, as it describes simple laziness or tiredness. Real burnout is caused when you emotionally and physically push yourself to the limit and collapse. The collapse is really a defence mechanism aimed at protecting a person from the intense workload and anxiety. It mostly manifests itself in certain personality types who value success above all else. It usually goes in stages such as:

1) Person has a desire to prove themself or achieve an unrealistic goal and pushes themselves
2) The person becomes fixated on the goal and gradually isolates themselves from others as they become emotionally dependent upon their work for their sense of self worth
3) Feelings of emptiness and depression result from this dependance
4) The stress and anxiety result in physical and mental collapse as the person is not able to work

enoilgam

HSC
how does one even reach this stage? just go to sleep and then start again tomorrow
then sleep for a bit longer.....?

well i don't know this because I have never xp'ed it
This is why a distinction needs to be made, because you are thinking of something else, not true burnout which is far more serious.

Examine

same
HSC
I think this is just called being lazy

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
So much misinformation thrown around.

Kuittinen and Merilainen (2011) in JIEB state that:
[Study-related burnout] has usually been described as a prolonged emotional syndrome of exhaustion caused by school demands, a cynical and detached attitude toward school, and feelings of inadequacy
They go on to say:
Study-related exhaustion can be defined as study-related feelings of strain, particularly chronic fatigue resulting from overtaxing schoolwork. These feelings may arise when students work hard without the adequate prerequisites to reach the set objectives. Typically, an intense, study-based emotional tiredness does not disappear even after a good night’s sleep. Students may also have sleeping problems. When the exhaustion continues, it may trigger a cynical attitude. Study-related cynicism, in turn, is manifested in an indifferent or distal attitude towards study work in general and a loss of interest in academic work. As a result, studies may be delayed or even interrupted. A lack of study-related efficacy refers to diminished feelings of competence as well as fewer achievements both in schoolwork and in school as a whole (Salmela-Aro et al., 2009a, p. 48).

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
When people are at partys, you pump out papers.

When people are sleeping, you pump out papers.

When people are pumping out papers, you snake the crap out of them

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
SOrry guys haha! Will revise the first draft ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)