The sudden realisation that 'my best' just isn't good enough. (1 Viewer)

giddycat77

HSC
hey guys, I do B/Commerce and I'm not really crazy about that course... but I digress...

I've just realised that missing half the lectures, not enrolling in PASS, not having a 2nd year tutor, not buying study guides and not having a weekly study session with friends has been pretty detrimental to my results.

You?

I mean, I think I would have taken a pro-active role and done all those extra activities if I actually enjoyed the course. But I don't. So anyway please tell me if you think those things have made a difference to your results, I'll probably try to take a more active role in uni (study and social) life starting from next year. Admittedly, this year was really just a bludge for me.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm skipping lectures and tutes as we speak. (I have a good reason for it though, INFS Assingment). *sigh* *cries*

Last edited:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
It's going to be difficult to find a real self-motivation trick that's genuine if you don't enjoy the course. I hate it too and find Commerce full of mindless dribble most of the time and I just don't care for it. I'm biding my time.

One, you transfer to something you like or two, just do the bare minimum. I don't know why you would desire really high marks for something you don't really like. I mean, everyone likes good marks of course but I find I just can't be bothered if I hate the subject.

You can join clubs at uni but I think just finding a group of mates might be the best thing. It can make uni more fun and less miserable if you have friends you can muck around with.

In terms of missing lecs/tutes, you just have to be mindful of missing any important material and tute attendance, that's all. If that's all covered then missing tutes/lecs if not too much of a problem, IMO.

Anyway, just join some clubs, get involved, expand your social circle and the boring classwork will be less painful.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
giddycat77 said:
hey guys, I do B/Commerce and I'm not really crazy about that course... but I digress...

I've just realised that missing half the lectures, not enrolling in PASS, not having a 2nd year tutor, not buying study guides and not having a weekly study session with friends has been pretty detrimental to my results.

You?

I mean, I think I would have taken a pro-active role and done all those extra activities if I actually enjoyed the course. But I don't. So anyway please tell me if you think those things have made a difference to your results, I'll probably try to take a more active role in uni (study and social) life starting from next year. Admittedly, this year was really just a bludge for me.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm skipping lectures and tutes as we speak. (I have a good reason for it though, INFS Assingment). *sigh* *cries*
join the club.

fortunately law is interesting.

giddycat77

HSC
Sarah168 said:
It's going to be difficult to find a real self-motivation trick that's genuine if you don't enjoy the course. I hate it too and find Commerce full of mindless dribble most of the time and I just don't care for it. I'm biding my time.
So we're basically in the same situation right? Can you tell me why you're sticking with Commerce, and how much harder/boring 2nd year subjects will get from your own personal opinion?

Sarah168 said:
One, you transfer to something you like or two, just do the bare minimum. I don't know why you would desire really high marks for something you don't really like. I mean, everyone likes good marks of course but I find I just can't be bothered if I hate the subject.
Well I'm definately doing the bare minimum now... Just below Credit avrg last sem and this sem I'm just above the credit mark again (except finals might change all that). Don't we need high marks so we look good to employers? :confused:

Sarah168 said:
You can join clubs at uni but I think just finding a group of mates might be the best thing. It can make uni more fun and less miserable if you have friends you can muck around with.
Yeah, I have friends so I'm not really looking for new ones per se, its just I think maybe I should've studied with them some more something... like we should've done a weekly meeting at Fisher or something, but probably we were too lazy to organize. Is this something that many people do? When I go to lectures I almost always find myself mucking around - I don't think that's too good for my studies.... :/

Sarah168 said:
In terms of missing lecs/tutes, you just have to be mindful of missing any important material and tute attendance, that's all. If that's all covered then missing tutes/lecs if not too much of a problem, IMO.

Anyway, just join some clubs, get involved, expand your social circle and the boring classwork will be less painful.
oh ok cool. I think lectures are boring anyway, seems like the lecturers are just reading off the lecture notes or something...

Do we have to pay the union next year to join the clubs? I joined anime club this year but never went. :eek:

giddycat77

HSC
brogan77 said:
Nah, I'll do what I want...but I'm not trolling anyway.

You joined the anime club.
Well, yeah.

brogan77 said:
You suggested meeting up with friends weekly for a study session would be a good idea.

= very asian.
Then how do people end up with Distinction averages anyway? Granted I'm not a study freak but I do try. They must have second year tutors or something. So very unfair. :(

latvia

HSC
N/A
giddycat77 said:
Then how do people end up with Distinction averages anyway? Granted I'm not a study freak but I do try. They must have second year tutors or something. So very unfair. :(
Because they study much harder than they want you to think they do.

What's the deal with second year tutors? Would they have as much experience as........

I guess u want second year tutors so they can tell you what kinda questions they came across before (especially during "critical" situations).....and they know your unit better since they just did it and can give you a
secret recipe'

r the friends u referred to....
friends you already knew from high school or friends you made since uni.

latvia

HSC
N/A
You're not in a hopeless situation because you still care about your marks and are striving for the better.
Maybe you just have trouble focusing on one thing for 5 minutes.
I don't know.......

It's almost the end of the semester......
I don't feel like I have studied much. (this is not comparing with other people but with my own standards)
Can't blame it on the internet, it's my own laziness....and also...spending too much time worrying about annoying people who want things from me..
I'm gonna fuck them off like little cigarette smokes

Shun them away
sweep them into the bin and throw them away
FUCK someone's beeping the car non-stop outside
if that continues I'm gonna yell "shut up!" even though that wouldn't make much difference.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
giddycat77 said:
So we're basically in the same situation right? Can you tell me why you're sticking with Commerce, and how much harder/boring 2nd year subjects will get from your own personal opinion?

Well I'm definately doing the bare minimum now... Just below Credit avrg last sem and this sem I'm just above the credit mark again (except finals might change all that). Don't we need high marks so we look good to employers? :confused:

Yeah, I have friends so I'm not really looking for new ones per se, its just I think maybe I should've studied with them some more something... like we should've done a weekly meeting at Fisher or something, but probably we were too lazy to organize. Is this something that many people do? When I go to lectures I almost always find myself mucking around - I don't think that's too good for my studies.... :/

oh ok cool. I think lectures are boring anyway, seems like the lecturers are just reading off the lecture notes or something...

Do we have to pay the union next year to join the clubs? I joined anime club this year but never went. :eek:
I can't be bothered quoting individually. So:

1. I'm sticking with it cos I'm at the end of my 2nd year now and it's impractical to change. Subjects get harder as you go on of course. That is expected. If you like a subject, then it will become harder (most of the time) but also more interesting. If you hate it (cough, acct), then it just sucks.

2. The high marks for employers thing is debated to death. Just do a search.

3. No union fees next year.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Hi guys, giddy got banned. Latvia PM me on this account please.

latvia said:
Because they study much harder than they want you to think they do.

What's the deal with second year tutors? Would they have as much experience as........

I guess u want second year tutors so they can tell you what kinda questions they came across before (especially during "critical" situations).....and they know your unit better since they just did it and can give you a
secret recipe'
meh... I'll just answer here.

Yeah, second year tutors would be awesome in that situation obviously.

latvia said:
r the friends u referred to....
friends you already knew from high school or friends you made since uni.
A little from Column A and a little from Column B....

Admittadely, most of my best friends went to different uni + different course. I still see them, so it's cool.

I don't know why people are talking about this 'friends in Uni' business - my problem is that I hate my course (but not hating it enough to leave it as yet) and wondering how I can get better marks despite this. This 'study group' business - does anyone do it?

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Sarah168 said:
I can't be bothered quoting individually. So:

1. I'm sticking with it cos I'm at the end of my 2nd year now and it's impractical to change. Subjects get harder as you go on of course. That is expected. If you like a subject, then it will become harder (most of the time) but also more interesting. If you hate it (cough, acct), then it just sucks.

2. The high marks for employers thing is debated to death. Just do a search.

3. No union fees next year.
Yes, hate accounting.

Well, not that much really. ECMT and INFS are worse imo. :mad1:

latvia

HSC
N/A
what971 said:
Yes, hate accounting.

Well, not that much really. ECMT and INFS are worse imo. :mad1:
does that mean you love economics?
I truly adore men who rock at it. They are like geniuses, gods, and seem so damn sexy when they explain the concepts and details.......with a lil smirk smile on their faces
do you do that? :) (dreaming of that now)

Aren't you considering a MKTG major? I heard that the job prospects aren't very good for MKTG graduates but I have no idea whether this is true or not (as I am not involved in the industry nor did I talk to anyone majoring in it)
But if not many people are majoring in it, that could be a good thing.....MKTG graduates are more scarce....this way.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
latvia said:
does that mean you love economics?
I truly adore men who rock at it. They are like geniuses, gods, and seem so damn sexy when they explain the concepts and details.......with a lil smirk smile on their faces
do you do that? :) (dreaming of that now)
no i dun :confused:

Although this one ACCT 1a tutor last sem was hottt. ;)

latvia said:
Aren't you considering a MKTG major? I heard that the job prospects aren't very good for MKTG graduates but I have no idea whether this is true or not (as I am not involved in the industry nor did I talk to anyone majoring in it)
But if not many people are majoring in it, that could be a good thing.....MKTG graduates are more scarce....this way.
Well my dreams are pretty much shattered now.

tlodg

HSC
N/A
what971 said:
no i dun :confused:

Although this one ACCT 1a tutor last sem was hottt. ;)

Well my dreams are pretty much shattered now.
Oh, I think I know who you're talking about......

Hey what I said can't be certainly true, I don't know much about the MKTG industry.......
and this is just what I heard (not from many people)
besides, I have a friend who was looking for a job (but couldn't find one she really wants) and she said her friend studying MKTG got an office job very quickly....
maybe ask Stas about it, he's doing MKTG
i don't want to mislead u..... hehehe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)