The Tempest And Nineteen Eighty Four??? (1 Viewer)

HSC
What does everyone think as Nineteen Eighty Four as another text to go with The Tempest? How would i run with it?

Reki.Poo

HSC
If I recall, Nineteen Eighty Four is another HSC prescribed text isn't it? I thought you weren't allowed to use other prescribed texts as related texts. I'm not sure though, because we were told this in our Ext 1 English class.

In my opinion, Nineteen Eighty Four is too much a psychological text, meaning it'll have much more links with inner journey. But that's only my opnion; if you can pull off a good essay, no ones stopping you.

forkyspoony18

HSC
at the beginning of the year when my class was discussing imaginary journeys with our teacher i asked i could do 1984, and she said it definately fitted into imaginary journeys but she thought it would be a fairly difficult text to prove because it almost seems like it could actually occur...

good luck with it if you do end up choosing it :)

bling05

HSC
Is there a list of prescribed texts anywhere so we can confirm that 1984 isn't a prescribed text?

bling05

HSC
bling05 said:
Is there a list of prescribed texts anywhere so we can confirm that 1984 isn't a prescribed text?
Okay, I've just checked on the Board of Studies website and Orwell's 1984 is a prescribed text for Module C - Elective 2: Powerplay

yosemite sam

HSC
Imaginative journey texts that relate to The Tempest are easy to find and most of them would be a lot easier to do than an in depth text like 1984. I did octopus's garden by the beatles, lines and squares, a childrens poem by a.a milne and a speculative article i found in a national geographic magazine about the last hours of the iceman otzi. They were all fairly simple in how they related to imaginative journeys (imaginative scenarios, personfying fears and encouraging speculation) and all the techniques were easy to write about (rhyme and rhythm, lexical choice, graphics).
I got good assessment marks for them (85 all up).
So theres no reason why you should ahve to choose a text as difficult as 1984 to study as given the amount of time you have to study it and write about it in exam conditions it would probly be deemed that you werent able to go in depth enough and do the text justice, disadvantaging yourself.
Easier texts are very easy to find. Just look on the childrens book shelf in the library or in a book of poetry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)