The Tempest (help!!!) (1 Viewer)

Lady_Disdain

HSC
I've been scouring through my copy of the Tempest and I'm sure that there is a line in Act Five where Prospero admits that he lost his dukedom through some fault of his own. Can someone please confirm this or deny it? And if it does exits, what is the line?

I am using Oxford School Shakespeare's copy of the Tempest. Thanks muchly!

camby

HSC
Is this what you were after?

I'm pretty sure that he does. He was stating that he was lost in his secrets (ie magic) and that he lost control of the kingdom....*twiddles fingers* ill see if i can find it quickly, hmmmm the only quote i could quickly find wasn't near act 5. It was Act 1 scene 2 actually, around the line 66 pssh ill type it here for you ^.^;

Prospero - " My brother and thy uncle, called Antonio - I pray thee mark me, that a brother should be so perfidious! - he, whom next thyself of all the world i loved, and to him put the manage of my stat as at that time through all the signories it was the first, and Propsero the prime duke, being so reputed in dignity, and for the liberal arts without a parallel those being all my study, the government I cast upon my brother, (probably most important part as it actually uses first person to state that it was him handing the government to his brother...anyway...i shall continue) and to my state grew stranger, being transported and rapt in secret studies. Thy false uncle - Dost thou attend me? "

Then Prospero continues on to ramble to Miranda like you would expect.
I also had a quick read through Prospero's main solliloquys but failed to find anything that distinctively related to the fact that it was his negligence that exiled him from his Dukedom. =)

Hope that helped, was a good little study for myself aswell finding some nifty quotes ^.^; so I thankyou first ^.^; I am using The New Penguin Shakespeare version but that shouldn't matter which is why i gave you lines instead of pagenumbers ^.^;

Lady_Disdain

HSC
Thank you so much! I was sure there was one later in the play, but perhaps HSC stress has forced me to imagine things in the play that were not there (there was a Kill Bill Fight secene in Act 3, scene 2 wasn't there?)

Thank you heaps!

camby

HSC
Haha no problems ^.^; Yeah, they still might of been a reference to it later in the play but i couldn't find that last night when i was skim reading through it, i just knew that there was a section where he mentions it from remembering my notes so it wasn't too hard to find ^.^; I'm not sure if it would be act 5 however as that is the main act where the motif of reconciliation is emphasised and where some people recognise the tempest as an allegory for shakespeares choice to stop making plays as tempest was meant to be the last...I'm rambling ^.^; i should get back to 4u maths study now *whimpers*

Lady_Disdain

HSC
Well thanks! Now you've written my whole essay for me.

4 U Maths = whimper worthy.

I did 4 U english

camby

HSC
Oh! By the way, if there was a kill bill fight scene in act two, im sure i would of watched the play a little more attentively :p :D because that would have simply been...well....only one three letter word that could describe Prospero flipping out to the soundtrack of Kill Bill and taking on Antonio, that word is "Rad!" ^.^;

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)