The Tempest (1 Viewer)

Tahu

Is anyone else doing this text.
If they are - can someone help to explain to me how journey is shown in this text. We have an assesment task to do in two weeks and we arent even halfway through reading it yet.

I need help!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
*garrr* dont even remind me of this text!

well i dont know about journey...maybe the personal journey that prospero (in particular) undergoes as he gains acceptance or something??
or the physical journey of them all ending up on a utopian island?
i dunno, i did it as a comparative for in the wild (my AoS was changing worlds) so i dont really get what you guys have to do for journeys..

Tahu

damn rite - its the most annoying text I have ever done - i swear

clerisy

HSC
Just to add my two cents, I'm also having trouble with The Tempest.

And while I'm at it-- what's your idea of what an imaginative journey actually is? I'm finding it a difficult concept to get....

sammy120287

i know its hard ay

prospero conjures up a storm and sends all the characters on an imaginitive journey in their subconciousness....while on the island they all embark on their own journeys... some have a positive effect while others dont...(see act 1 with gonzalo and sebastion and antonio..talkin about their garments..)
Throughout the journey some of the characters realise their sins( eg alonso) and therefor the journey has a more positive effect on him over others....the structure is not the same as a traditional romantc comedy..which usually ends with a celebration...the ending in the tempest is unresolved..(miranda and ferdinand are not married..punishment is going ot be decided bak in milan)..this unresolved structure leaves the conclusion up to the imagination of the audience..thus an imaginitive journey
There is also the reference of spirituality to ariel and masques.
i hope thta helps evn a little bit u guys..its hard to folow...but its the best i could do off the top of my head..

Last edited:

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
I HATE THE TEMPEST @#$%^&*()(*&^%$#@!$%^&*()

okay, i feel better now

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
lol
tempest was hard to get at first, but i partially see it now...
Still its not that great for an imaginative journey, although you can manage to bullshi* up a few pages on the "dreaming" and all that crap in the page, inner journies would be much more suited.

sugared plum

HSC
if you watch 'prospero's books' you will see the imaginative journey... some critics talk about shakespeare leaving the play in the control of prospero, which is significant - prospero is taking the audience and characters on an 'imaginative joruney', conjuring masques, music, all the spirits floating on the stage, making them sleep and wake at will etc.

i guess it's better doing the play under journeys, we had to do it under 'in the wild' ahaha hsc english

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
I'd concur about Prospero's creation of the 'Imaginative Journey' on two levels; amongst the characters and the audience. HSC markers usually value 'effect on the responder', so this could be valuable.

Presumably, this effect consists of the journeys characters and responder undergo, in their perceptions of others, and ultimately, themselves, as illustrated in the following quote;

Gonzalo-Was Milan thrust from Milan, that his issue
Should become Kings of Naples? O, rejoice
Beyond a common joy, and set it down
With gold on lasting pillars: in one voyage
did Claribel her husband find in Tunis;
And Ferdinand, her brother found a wife
Where he himself was lost; Propsero his dukedom
in a poor isle; and all of us ourselves
where no man was his own.
(Act V, Scene I.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)