RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: The Official Tennis Thread

Tennis Update - As of 20th of April

Monte Carlo Masters 1000

1st semi - Wawrinka beats Ferrer 6-1 7-6

Ferrer had beaten Nadal (the king of clay) in straight sets in the quarters (Nadal's earliest exit at Monte Carlo since 2004, he's won the title 8 CONSECUTIVE TIMES from 2005 to 2012 and lost to Djokovic in the finals of 2013)

(now the H2H between them (Stan and Ferrer) is 6-7, before it was 5-7 --> Ferrer's way)

2nd semi - Federer beats (injured) Djokovic 7-5 6-2

(Roger widens the H2H between them in his favour, 18-16 now --> Novak lost an opportunity to even the H2H)

It also means Djokovic and Nadal together will hold 8 of the 9 masters titles rather than 9 of the 9 masters titles after this week :haha:

It'll be an all swiss final and the first final between 2 1 handed bh players since 2001.

Roger vs Stan.

Stakes for Roger --> 22nd masters title if he wins, first Monte Carlo masters title if he wins (he's lost to Nadal from 2006 to 2008 in MC finals - so he has 3 runner-ups as his best performance so far) and the number 3 ranking (and number 1 in the ATP race rankings) will be his if he wins.

Stakes for Stan --> his 1st masters title if he wins and the number 1 spot in the ATP race rankings (and maintaining his number 3 normal ranking) if he wins.

Last edited:

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
Re: The Official Tennis Thread

I had a feeling this thread was going to get bumped in anticipation of the swiss dream final :)

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
Djokovic by a fair margin followes by Federer and Wawrinka. Djokovic on a 29 or 30 winning streak indoors atm iirc and has not lost a set since the birth of his son - I think this alleviated his slump during pre-USO to Asian swing.

Every other player has been mediocre in RR play, terrible WTF. Hope a good Djokovic -- Wawrinka match can save the tournament.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
who is gonna win ATP TOUR FINALS?
Most likely Djokovic, however Federer is obviously the other favourite.

Wawrinka isn't the best indoors (his peak performances have come on slow outdoor hard and clay).

Nishikori is too fragile. Murray isn't in his best form.

Everyone else is playing terrible.

Djokovic by a fair margin followes by Federer and Wawrinka. Djokovic on a 29 or 30 winning streak indoors atm iirc and has not lost a set since the birth of his son - I think this alleviated his slump during pre-USO to Asian swing.

Every other player has been mediocre in RR play, terrible WTF. Hope a good Djokovic -- Wawrinka match can save the tournament.
Match is at like 7 am.

Maybe I should get some sleep so I can wake up to watch it :haha:

Anyways...

very important match for Federer.

If Djokovic beats Wawrinka... then he'll be 1 win away (either his last RR or the SFs) from securing Year End World Number 1, regardless of what Federer does.

If Djokovic loses to Wawrinka OR somehow loses to Berdych (yeah very very unlikely)... then loses in the SF... Federer can get Year End World Number 1 if he wins the whole WTF going undefeated in Round Robin plus some David Cup matches.

If Djokovic loses to both Wawrinka and Berdych, it'll be Federer's best last chance ever basically to get YE No. 1.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Well I'm glad I didn't wake up for it... :haha:

Wawrinka got a serious beating from Djokovic.

Novak is just 1 win away (his last RR match will be against pigeon Berdych... so...) from YE No. 1. no matter what Federer does.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Semi-finals report for the WTF 2014

Djokovic beats Nishikori 6-1 3-6 6-0.

A convincing win, Novak went awol in the 2nd set but a convincing win in the end.

Federer beats Wawrinka 4-6 7-5 7-6

Federer had to save 4 match-points, and really... Stan choked when he had 3 MPs on serve. Who on earth serve and volleys on 2nd serve THREE TIMES for 3 MPs?!

Federer was insanely lucky to win. But thank god he did, Djokovic will struggle more against Federer than Wawrinka.

2014 WTF finals - 2012 rematch

H2H: 19-17 in the favour of Federer

INDOORS H2H: 4-3 in the favour of Djokovic

2014 H2H: 3-2 in the favour of Federer, but Novak won their biggest match i.e. Wimbledon 2014 finals.

Bookies' favourite? Djokovic.

Form favourite? Djokovic.

Federer needs a good serving day or else, he's basically going to get crushed by Djokovic's baseline prowess.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Confessions

Confession:

Can't bloody wait for the Australian Open.

Confession:

Secretly hoping that Nadal lands in Djokovic's half but I have a feeling Rafa will be in Roger's half.

1 v 4
2 v 3

1st seed = Djokovic
2nd seed = Federer
3rd seed = Nadal
4th seed = Wawrinka

1 v 3 and 2 v 4 is rare for the AO iirc.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC

Confession:

Confession:

Secretly hoping that Nadal lands in Djokovic's half but I have a feeling Rafa will be in Roger's half.

1 v 4
2 v 3

1st seed = Djokovic
2nd seed = Federer
3rd seed = Nadal
4th seed = Wawrinka

Confession: I despise nadal/djokovic playstyle.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC

Confession:

Confession:

1 v 4
2 v 3

1st seed = Djokovic
2nd seed = Federer
3rd seed = Nadal
4th seed = Wawrinka

When does it start? For some reason i tend to start playing wii tennis again when the Australian open is on

SuchSmallHands

HSC

I hope Djokovic wins because when he does he takes off his clothes.

buriza

conviction
HSC

Confession: I despise nadal/djokovic playstyle.
you mean defensive

even then nadal and djokovic have some differing features in their playstyle (for example, djokovic's serve was a lot more prominent for most of his career and he approaches the net more often)

nadal tends to rely more on outlasting opponents whereas djokovic can seek to outplay opponents at times

there's also the point that nadal has more spin in his ball, utilises his forehand whereas djokovic commonly employs his backhand

I hope Djokovic wins because when he does he takes off his clothes.
ugh his chest hair tho, makes me cringe every time

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC

you mean defensive

even then nadal and djokovic have some differing features in their playstyle (for example, djokovic's serve was a lot more prominent for most of his career and he approaches the net more often)

nadal tends to rely more on outlasting opponents whereas djokovic can seek to outplay opponents at times

there's also the point that nadal has more spin in his ball, utilises his forehand whereas djokovic commonly employs his backhand

ugh his chest hair tho, makes me cringe every time
Generally, i hate all this tower defence play style. Where they rely on other player to make unforced errors.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

Confession:

I'm j3lly.

Confession: I'm hopeful Federer will still win another Grand Slam
Same but the window is closing and it's nearly shut.

I think 2015 will be his last chance (he'll need to be in good form though). But in 2014, he lost two BIG opportunities (Wimbledon 2014 final, had 2 BPs in the last set and USO 2014, Nishikori was waiting in the final - instead he lost to Cilic) and he isn't getting any younger.

buriza

conviction
HSC

Generally, i hate all this tower defence play style. Where they rely on other player to make unforced errors.
djokovic can be fairly aggressive tho, you may just not have watched him back in 2008 when he won his 1st AO

(confession: i rly don't like djokovic and for some reason i always end up sticking up for him lmao)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)