• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The TRUTH about IPT!!! (1 Viewer)

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
People who are still doing this subject keep at it , as boring as it may be it is a good subject to score well in , if you study teh content going by the syllabus this subject will easily be your best friend

and if you do well , scaling doesnt mean shit ,

when i did this subject i did not take the attitude that this was going to be an easy bludge subject....

oh and im pretty sure only 7% got band 6 in this subject for last years HSC

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
Listen up everyone, as long as you say its boring it will be borring! So i strongly advise you guys to view it as un-boring and study it, just get into it, read the textbook, skrew what your teacher says - my teacher was the one that made it 'borring' by repeating everything in the textbook and not explaining it and i dont even think she knew what the hell she was on about ( i didnt even listen to her by the 2nd Day of ipt ) but just pretend to pay attention and if you dont understand anything find another teacher to ask! use the library or go and grab a textbook from dymocks! study it at home whenever you have time and memorize the content; since it's all theory the more u read the more u will memorize so do this and trust me on the last day before the exam you wont even have to touch a textbook coz it will all be in your head by then! Now come the exam you will only go good in it and if you get above 90 scaling does not mean much at this mark and above! Hence, it all comes down to effort and exam, ipt only requires little effort and is ideal if your priority is a good mark in hsc/uai but if youre thinking i dont like the subject ive already got uai planned then fine drop it, but if you're really interested in it or not sure about your other subjects u should keep it & as a backup 100%.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
wow sparkl3s
words of wisdom!
i wanted 2 rep u but it says
You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
grr! neways ill try and make IPT better for myself
stressing bout communication systems tho
were doin that now

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
sparkl3z said:
Listen up everyone, as long as you say its boring it will be borring! So i strongly advise you guys to view it as un-boring and study it, just get into it, read the textbook, skrew what your teacher says - my teacher was the one that made it 'borring' by repeating everything in the textbook and not explaining it and i dont even think she knew what the hell she was on about ( i didnt even listen to her by the 2nd Day of ipt ) but just pretend to pay attention and if you dont understand anything find another teacher to ask! use the library or go and grab a textbook from dymocks! study it at home whenever you have time and memorize the content; since it's all theory the more u read the more u will memorize so do this and trust me on the last day before the exam you wont even have to touch a textbook coz it will all be in your head by then! Now come the exam you will only go good in it and if you get above 90 scaling does not mean much at this mark and above! Hence, it all comes down to effort and exam, ipt only requires little effort and is ideal if your priority is a good mark in hsc/uai but if youre thinking i dont like the subject ive already got uai planned then fine drop it, but if you're really interested in it or not sure about your other subjects u should keep it & as a backup 100%.

Good point...i am sick of pplz telling future yr 11 IPT students that it is boring and it scalles badly...everyone told me that and i thought stuff them...i was first in my class and i enjoy so blah all those people who try and turn pplz off it

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
melsc said:
Good point...i am sick of pplz telling future yr 11 IPT students that it is boring and it scalles badly...everyone told me that and i thought stuff them...i was first in my class and i enjoy so blah all those people who try and turn pplz off it
agreed :) go IPT...

sNiPeR_24

Fo' shizzle
HSC
IPT is just a lot of theory and textbook regurgitation, so if you're good at memorising crap loads of theory you will do well.

At my school (in the same class as Trev) the teacher is a top bloke, he really loves the subject, but in all fairness he is less than approachable if you have a problem. He knows that I have good knowledge of the subject etc. so he always asks me first for every question.

I also find at times I'm teaching the class stuff instead of the teacher, which is pretty cruddy if you ask me.

televators

HSC
Ipt- relatively easy to achieve a band 5, if you have a logical mind and know your social/ethical issues

Band 6, on the other hand, is a different story...for some reason its really hard to get there, mostly likely due to the markers getting extremely pedantic with the longer responses...if you want a band 6, be prepared to be writing shitloads, to cover all bases, all perspectives, otherwise you will settle with a band 5

I thought i was 98+ for last years HSC exam, but only ended up with 88....i put it down to the fact i should of bullshitted more with my answers

and yes, ipt scales relatively poorly, which is unfair, because it put it on par with the 'middle- scaling' subjects (histories, geographies, SOR II, etc)- i got 88 for my hsc in ipt and only 1 unit counted towards my uai, yet it was my second highest mark...the reason it scales poorly is generally due to the poorer levels of the cohort outweighing the higher levels...like our dux (uai 99.35) did ipt, and on the other hand, so did many <30.00

and finally, joe...your macq revision guide will be posted tomorrow, ill be waiting for the cheque!

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
televators said:
and finally, joe...your macq revision guide will be posted tomorrow, ill be waiting for the cheque!
ok sure dont worry ill send ur cheque :p
dont forget to put ur notes in!

Ice man

HSC
I think it more depends on what you want to do at uni when picking a course, and since i was leaning towards IT or computer science i wanted the background knowledge of ipt for that, and it doesnt scale that badly. Your marks obviously just depend on how much work you put in. Im also using it as a combo with sdd, so it makes both subjects easier.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
honestly, its REALLY not that difficult to get marks in IPT.. people seem to think that just because its not a subject like physics or chem or 4u maths or english or something which is a harder subject, u wont get good marks or a good uai.

the fact of the matter is, people doing category B courses and the lower scaling courses like business studies or something like that can still get excellent UAI's... if you go really well in a subject, ur rank is up etc.. ur bound to get excellent marks. i know of people who did physics and all that hoo ha and ended up with 48 UAI - not everyones cup of tea.. but then i know others who did hospitality, retail, business studies etc who got uai's of 97... now you tell me lower scaling subjects cant get you a good UAI.

/end rant

Trev

stix
HSC
televators said:
I thought i was 98+ for last years HSC exam, but only ended up with 88....i put it down to the fact i should of bullshitted more with my answers
98 probably would have seen you in the top 3 in the state, 96 this year was 9th.

HSC
N/A
melsc said:
I am sick of hearing people say the following things about IPT:
* IPT is a bludge
* Dont do it, it scales bad
* IPT is boring
I hate hearing these things especially from people who dont do the subject or people giving advice to those thing about choosing IPT...so IPT students why dont u post what IPT is about so that people who want to do it can see what it is really like!
hmm - IPT aint all that bad dudes
i actually consider it one of my fave subjects too, but i guess that's coz im into IT lol
okay - the truth, IPT is a bludge.. HOWEVER, that's only for year 11 .. and it aint even all of year 11, just most of it [because it's really just a repeat of year 9 and 10 computing] .. hmm - it does scale bad, but that's dependant on how you perform in it - and of course, how the rest of the state does ..lol
it aint boring - well, not alwaiz, nd if you gotta good teacher! lol

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
melsc said:
it isnt really a bludge...u may not work much in class.but the assignments are huge
my assessemts were a joke, the teacher kept extending the read line cuase noone did the assessments and then , we hand it like a page of work and we get nearly full marks.

maybe if u have a strict teacher IPT wuill have alot of work , but from my experience u can sleep the whole time and get the best marks. A dude from my class is an computer geek , but always missed class and still got high eighties in the test

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
Well, to answer the original question/s...

no, its not that hard

no, its not a bludge, but its easier than subjects like economics or physics

yes, if you have no interest in computers, it'll be boring (lol, so why the crap did you choose it?), but if you like computers, its the bomb!

yes, the scaling aint so hot, but not as bad as general maths, standard english etc... its on par with say, engineering studies. BUT dont put your head in that oven yet, as with all bad scaling subjects, its very easy to get a high mark, so it evens out.

televators said:
Ipt- relatively easy to achieve a band 5, if you have a logical mind and know your social/ethical issues

Band 6, on the other hand, is a different story...for some reason its really hard to get there, mostly likely due to the markers getting extremely pedantic with the longer responses...if you want a band 6, be prepared to be writing shitloads, to cover all bases, all perspectives, otherwise you will settle with a band 5

and yes, ipt scales relatively poorly, which is unfair, because it put it on par with the 'middle- scaling' subjects (histories, geographies, SOR II, etc)- i got 88 for my hsc in ipt and only 1 unit counted towards my uai, yet it was my second highest mark...the reason it scales poorly is generally due to the poorer levels of the cohort outweighing the higher levels...like our dux (uai 99.35) did ipt, and on the other hand, so did many <30.00
Pretty much all of what you said was right...its easy to get a band 5 as long as you're either smart/hardworking. In our class, we had 13 computer nerds who did nothing but muck around with the network, play oldschool games across it etc. 95% of the time, until 2 days before each exam, when we'd study our asses off (and the huge cram 2 weeks before the HSC). Lather, rinse and repeat. We ended up with 6 band sixs, 6 band fives, and 1 band four (the only one getting 4 got 79, and he didn't really try that much). This was a selective school though, but anyone can get a 5 as long as they work for it, as the concepts arent that hard (minus relational databases, they can be pretty tricky).

Only 7% of students get a band 6 though, so you pretty much have to know everything, and mention all these things in your analysis of each system.

But the top mark was only 98 (I can confirm that personally *dances*).

hope this helps...

onigiri

HSC
My teacher can't teach IPT and makes it the boringest 50mins of my life. But somehow I'd feel I'd like it if I had a better teacher. Though true, I agree there is alot of work involved, just flipping through the syllabus and checking out the outcomes... whoa la~ Though it is bludgey imo cos I always do the learning at home.

HSC
drewgcn said:
Well, to answer the original question/s...

no, its not that hard

no, its not a bludge, but its easier than subjects like economics or physics

yes, if you have no interest in computers, it'll be boring (lol, so why the crap did you choose it?), but if you like computers, its the bomb!

yes, the scaling aint so hot, but not as bad as general maths, standard english etc... its on par with say, engineering studies. BUT dont put your head in that oven yet, as with all bad scaling subjects, its very easy to get a high mark, so it evens out.

Pretty much all of what you said was right...its easy to get a band 5 as long as you're either smart/hardworking. In our class, we had 13 computer nerds who did nothing but muck around with the network, play oldschool games across it etc. 95% of the time, until 2 days before each exam, when we'd study our asses off (and the huge cram 2 weeks before the HSC). Lather, rinse and repeat. We ended up with 6 band sixs, 6 band fives, and 1 band four (the only one getting 4 got 79, and he didn't really try that much). This was a selective school though, but anyone can get a 5 as long as they work for it, as the concepts arent that hard (minus relational databases, they can be pretty tricky).

Only 7% of students get a band 6 though, so you pretty much have to know everything, and mention all these things in your analysis of each system.

But the top mark was only 98 (I can confirm that personally *dances*).

hope this helps...

Do you know M Hunter?

Boo_

HSC
Bludge...i wish!!!

itz not that itz a hard subject, more that therez so much content to remember. i guess the hardest part would have to be doing both software and ipt, sometimes the content is to different, but it goes along the same lines. i remember when i was doing this this in front of my ipt class, and then i started going on about software stuff related to the topic in ipt i was talking about, but it didnt work for ipt.

another thing, itz easy to pass ipt, just hard to go really good, but to go really good, will take so much time, i would go extremelly bad in my other subjects!!!

:)

asscookie

dork.
HSC
The thing with IPT is that you learn a whole heap of stuff about nothing, really.

Boo_

HSC
asscookie said:
The thing with IPT is that you learn a whole heap of stuff about nothing, really.
i doubt thats completely true, yeah, some of the stuff u might never use again, but it depends what u want to do with your life

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)