The United States as a world power in 1914. (1 Viewer)

5_State_Drive

Was the US a world power in 1914? Meaning was it as powerful as Britain, France and Germany at the time?

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
I had originally replied, but it didn't seem to go through properly.

I was browsing through some unwanted textbooks and found the following about the USA, which I thought may be of some interest to you... plus I was bored and I want to boost my post count ;)

"In 1900, the USA had established itself as a major industrial power to rival the pre-eminence of Great Britain. Yet, as a military power it could hardly be taken seriously..."

"It was a different story twenty years later. By the end of WWI the USA had surpassed the major European powers as an economic power."

"The reality that it had long been a player in world affairs, whether it liked it or not, only became fully apparent by the end of WWII in 1945."

SPX

Yes, I agree, USA got really rich out of the first world war and partially from ww2. But I think they only realised their true strength as a military power in 1945+ as the first world war Britain, Germany and France were much more powerful because of military spending was higher. So in 1914 the US was a major power among Japan, Italy, Russia and Austria but wasn't a superpower as such with Germany and Britain. They were always an economic power though which has translated only after the second world war into a world super power.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)