The use of statistics in legal essays. (1 Viewer)

Orwell

HSC
Hey, yesterday I sat my legal essay and I worked really hard on it having constantly sent it to both legal teachers. However, I realise I only mentioned one statistic in the entire essay and some only used one as well, while others where using 5-8. I used three booklets, while others in my class only used two (admittedly my handwriting gets sloppy when writing under pressure), but I filled them with expert opinions, evaluations, conclusions and cases. I didn't want to implement statistics just for the sake of it and I feel I did prove my initial stance without them, but...

How fucked am I for not incorporating a lot of statistics?

Edit: Both legal teachers didn't criticise my lack of statistics, so...

Last edited:

si2136

HSC
N/A
ples help.
If your teacher never criticise your lack of statistics, then you'll be fine?

I do Economics, another social science, and I had to do a case study. I inquired my teacher how many stats would I need, and my teacher said as much as u can remember. It's important to support your argument if you use it well, not just memory dumping.

Orwell

HSC
Fucking hell, I basically regurgitated my essay, reckon someone on here could read and tell me whether I'll be okay or not?

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Depends on what you're arguing what whether it's good for you arguments/supports it. Generally, however, statistics are good as they serve as another form of evidence.

si2136

HSC
N/A
You could PM me it and let me check. I don't do Legal so it wouldn't disadvantage you in any way.

chiefpasco

HSC
There is no blanket rule in having to use statistics. Using statistics is basically evidence for an argument, so you should use it sparingly and only when it's appropriate. Case studies, articles, statistics are all evidence, so use only the most appropriate ones. I've seen people shitdump a whole bunch of crap and it hasn't got them anywhere. Also never bastardise you evidence, you'll get stoned for it.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Really, just have at least one example of each type of evidence mandated by the rubric thingo so the markers can tick the box (i.e. 1 Law, 1 Case, 1 International Law, 1 Statistic, 1 media article), and everything from then on will be situational.

HSC
I may have a slightly different opinion here, but we were always told you could never have too many stats; they're vital to support your argument and are a good way to show whether the legal system is effective and/or achieving justice.

A good acronym to remember is LCMDIS (Legislation, Case Studies, Media Reports, Documents, International Instruments, Statistics). Seeing as how you've already checked most of those boxes, I doubt you'll be penalised too much simply for omitting stats, but in future I would strive to include them too; they make an essay more well-rounded IMHO.

ad_321

HSC
Stats are great tbh. They are the simplest and most effective way to prove your point in a legal essay and are pretty easy to find (tbh you can even get away making some up or "approximately" can be used - but personally I wouldn't recommend it).

There is really no limit to them as long as your essay has case law, legislation and media as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)