The UTS 'Places to Eat + Things to Do' Thread (1 Viewer)

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
This is a summarised version of the old "Great places to eat and fun things to do near UTS". I figured it needs a bit of an update, so this new thread is for you guys to provide some more up-to-date ideas.

Ideas from previous thread...
Link: http://community.boredofstudies.org.../great-places-eat-fun-things-do-near-uts.html

• eat : broadway,ogalos,oporto,market city, and of course maccas,kfc,bk outside the station.
  • food: mai thai, inside bar broadway. six dollar thai lunches. if you're poor, fried rice from alice's on level 3. also, there's a cool sushi place near the maccas opp. railway square. they have specials from about 4 or 5 onwards.
  • Market City, Darling Harbour, Chinatown, Broadway, sit in Victoria Park (if you need to see grass, which is so lacking at UTS!), jump on a bus outside UTS and you will be in the middle of the city in minutes... there you can check out Pitt St Mall, QVB, Myer etc... or catch the bus to circular quay/the rocks and take in the scenery... pancakes on the rocks....
  • market city...or sussex centre if you want. normal chinatown stuff (like superbowl). errrmmmmmm yum cha! how can i forget! lol thats a great place to eat but i havent been during uni...lack of $$$.
  • The lansdowne is the best bargain around broadway!!! I can't believe I didn't say it before!!! It's opposite Victoria Park... not on Broadway but just off Broadway on City Road so really close. They have $5 lunch and dinner meals. You can have steak with a sauce and chips or mash potato... or chicken, or fish, or nachos and there are a couple of other things too... it's really good value. You have to buy a drink with your meal though, so all up you can get lunch/dinner and a drink (soft drink, beer or house wine) for $8.50 which is pretty reasonable. You couldn't buy steak and cook it yourself for that cheap.
  • Yeah Pearl Milk Tea at Easy Way and Happy Cup!
  • Everyone must have a slice of the Choco Dome cake at Fioriani's in Darling Harbour (on the outside strip of Harbourside).
  • Yeah, they have a gym on Harris Street, Broadway. Don't think there are any other places.
  • Union Fitness Centre

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC
I'm getting sick and tired of the food around UTS (e.g. Market City and so on..so if you're one of those people who can't stand eating food that tastes the same in every second shop, then below are some suggestions) :p Basically, there are a few stores within acceptable distance of UTS that I'd recommend you go to. However, by no means are they something you would have daily if you were on a budget or trying to save:

-Pepper Lunch (537 George St, Sydney NSW 2000..so I guess it's a bit of a walk from UTS but it's worth it :p)
This is pretty much a new concept here, in that they bring out your food on a hot plate thingy and you mix it up and cook it yourself. They're basically rice dishes but you have other stuff too like salads and so on (though I just stick to the yummy rice). Get something like the curry chicken, mix in a bunch of the sweet (not hot, that tastes horrid and I love my chilli) sauce and then enjoy euphoria :p Doesn't sound so fancy here but trust me, it's yummers. The food comes out relatively quick too (you'll never find yourself waiting and waiting..it comes out always in an acceptable time).

-The sushi train upstairs in Market City.
With your student discount, most dishes come down to 2.50 a pop which isn't bad at all. I can't say it's really too filling unless you spend at least $10 if not $15 :p Healthy and quick.

-Scruffy Murphy's (43-49 Goulbourn St..again a bit of a walk from UTS but not too bad) for $5 steak/schnitzels. You have to buy a drink (doesn't have to be alcoholic) to be eligible for the $5 meal.
Great value I think. Comes with chips or mash (personally, I like the mash more though the chips aren't bad). You can choose your sauce with the steak e.g. pepper or diane I think or just regular gravy. They have condiments too (for free on the side!) like bbq, sweet chilli, tomato and mustard sauces if you want something more. The place is constantly under scrutiny in the news for brawls and such (and are apparently sometimes racist) but I've never had a problem going there :p The only thing I can say is that they have been inconsistent with the cooking of their steaks e.g. ask for medium and it may come out medium-well and next time ask for medium-well and there's still a bit of blood there.

-Ramen Kan (Level 1, 90 Hay St, Haymarket NSW 2000)
This place is a little hard to find. Basically, it's like around the corner from the Oportos in Market City. You have to take a dodgy small lift upstairs to get to it. The food is not bad (though it definitely isn't the best Jap I've had). My personal favourite is the Curry Udon :D Mmm..I want some now. Price is okay. <$10 for most things I think, or at least near there.

-Ichiban Boshi (The Galeries Victoria, Level 2, 500 George St, The Galeries Victoria
Level 2, 500 George St). It's right next to Kinokunya upstairs from like Ikea or Freedom or whatever that furniture store down there is.
Mmm..one of the best places to get ramen! Very flavoursome and pretty good value too because the servings are quite large. Their tonkotsu ramen is supposedly limited to 15 bowls or something a day but generally you can get it. Some of them are more expensive than others (like $13 or something but some are like $9.X0). I recommend the tantamen (I think that's how you spell it ~_~) for the spicy lovers. I like their Chicken Katsu Curry too..one of the better ones I've had because the chicken is so well done. I've had better curry sauce elsewhere though.

Oh, just a note on Ichiban..they're always packed for lunch. There's ALWAYS a queue but it shouldn't take too long to get in. And if you're willing to share a table with others (who have said they want to share too), then you'll probably get in even faster.

-Satang Thai (20 Quay St, Haymarket NSW 2000)
Now here's one closer to UTS! They serve fantastic Thai food for a brilliant price. Love their Chilli Jam Chicken. Some of the dishes can be quite oily but it's worth it :p This is another place that has queues at lunch time. They also do take-away which I recommend because the place is freaken tiny (like..REALLY tiny).

-Gungho Eurasian Cuisine (Shop 9, 107-121 Quay St, Haymarket NSW 2000)
It's right across the street from Satang Thai. They have much more seating and even outside seating at the cafe area however are more expensive. Some of the dishes are great, but some are mediocre. However, you aren't generally disappointed with their food. They seem clean, friendly and modern (as you would expect from a 'Eurasian' cuisine restuarant). Their daily specials are usually good (and I've had one that was fantastic..but I've never seen it again since) but their regular menu ain't so bad either. I enjoy the Golden Chicken Curry (absolutely love how they do their potatoes in that) and the Sweet and Sour Fish isn't bad (albeit 'pricy' at like $12 or something) if you don't get sick of eating the same thing over and over :p Their entrees/starters are pretty nice too but again, a bit pricy compared to other places.

Anyway, those are some of, what I consider, the better places to eat. Hard on the wallet (which is why I'm glad I've only ever had uni 3 times a week :p) but yeah, worth it when you get sick of all the other same-tasting Asian crap XD

As for entertainment..this is something I struggle to find around UTS. A few suggestions to pass time (if you have a lot of it) are to:
-catch a movie at Reading Cinemas in Market City or Hoyts/Greater Union/whatever else on George Street;
-If you're feeling really Asian (or you are, stereotypically I'm going to say here, Honky/Canto) go have fun at Karaoke for hours ($10+free drink such as water of tea) at K Square or Greenbox Plus;
-Galaxy World in Market City but I find their games rather boring unless you're one of those people who play Daytona or Initial D or Time Crisis a lot. They need Street Fighter again ;-;
-pool at UTS' Glasshouse or Market's bars or is it the Wembley house downstairs near Maccas?
-Shopping!

That's about it :p

Wonder if anyone bothered to read that.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
ramen kan is pretty good actually...had one of those bowl fried rice which was absolutely delicious.
Still want to try satang thai though.

Melethiel

HSC
I second ragnarok - Pepper Lunch is worth a bit of a walk! Everyone must try it at least once!

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
agentprovocater said:
hey guys! good job with the uts threads! :)

omg Satang Thai on quay street is the best thai restraunt ever! ok..ive only been to 3 thai places in my life, but seriously that place is packed and the food makes ur mouth water b4 it even gets to u!

its on quay street, very close to the Insearch UTS

the menu is nice and rich, and the prices arent too bad.

expect to pay between $7.50-9.50 for a decent meal, oh but its definitely worth it :)

you'll thank me when u go there and eat :D
I've always wanted to go, but the line-up in front of it at lunch hours is insane. So I still haven't tried it yet...

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC
agentprovocater said:
omg Satang Thai on quay street is the best thai restraunt ever!
Funny you should say that..

Yesterday, I decided on Thai for lunch. Given my work place is like 30 seconds from Campbell Street (which is filled with Thai things from video stores to convenience stores and, of course, restaurants) it seemed like a good idea. So I invited a friend to join me.

-Chilli Cha Cha
Funny name but freaken so awesome! I can't seem to find it on eatability.com.au so I don't know the exact address but it'll be something like 40 Campbell Street or something like that. It's a couple mins walk from Capitol Square and a couple more from Market City itself. I'll try to find out next time.

Anyway, one of the BEST Thai places (if not the best) I've been to. The place is always busy during lunch (which is the reason I decided to try it out), there's a lot of seating and the prices are very, very decent. We've only tried a few dishes but they were heavenly. Not dry, not too oily, and best of all, they're actually relatively spicy like true Thai food should be! I highly recommend their fried rice noodle dishes (Fried Kway Teo, Drunken Noodles etc.). So freaken tasty and comes with a moderate serve of veggies too! Price is like $7 for that..well worth it in my opinion. The service is quite good (although they were a bit slow in attending to us..I had to look over at them a few times before they got the idea), but the waiters are friendly and can speak English quite well. They also bring water to your table and set up your fork and spoon for you. Their satay chicken sticks were fantastic; the best I've tried. They were quite big and the peanut satay is the best I've tasted. Being only $4 for 2 sticks they are GREAT value! Most places have them for double that price and they totally suck. They also have things like 2 curry puffs or 2 spring rolls for $2.50 or something which seems good value but I never did try them.

I will definitely be back to try more dishes. Maybe I'll make this a weekly thing lol. I'll update on more recommendations as I go but yeah, I just had to share this one with everyone.

I'm also going to try Chat Thai which is on Campbell Street. It's always busy, albeit it is pretty small but it looks sleek, modern and professional. The food looks great too! I think I'll enjoy this place (it has awesome ratings on eatability as well!).

spence

HSC
Lately I love Bounce cafe just next to tafe. Their chilli chicken wrap is awesome

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
spence said:
Lately I love Bounce cafe just next to tafe. Their chilli chicken wrap is awesome
I've been going to Bounce quite often.. even though the coffee is mediocre, there doesn't seem to be a long line everytime I'm in there (I hate waiting for coffee).

maka

HSC
Huratio, I totally agree with you.

Waiting for coffee especially in the morning is the worst thing. Especially when you are (half) asleep.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Totally.
I avoid the coffee chains like Gloria Jeans and Starbucks too for the same reason. Smaller cafes give you more personalised service too.. i.e. they might remember your coffee order if you go there regularly.

Huratio - from the Secks thread said:
Hmm.. I go to five different places for coffee when I go to uni. In order of preference:

1) Lavazza @ Central Station: When you exit Central Station using the tunnel way (Devonshire St Tunnel), it is on your left. It is a gourmet sandwich shop and you won't miss it, because in the morning there are like around 10-20 people waiting for coffee outside it. It is well worth the wait though, because it is the best coffee (in my opinion) in the UTS area.

2) Boost on Broadway: I've rated this highly because it has the least wait for coffee. If your late for class and you want to grab a quick coffee, this is the place to get it. I've never waited over 5 minutes for a coffee at Boost. The quality of the coffee on the other hand, would not be the best though. The guy uses way too much milk and not enough coffee itself.

3) Art of Food Cafe (Building 5 Cafe): Pretty much the only place you can get coffee near Building 5. I wouldn't waste your energy going to Gloria Jeans @ Market City when UTS has its own cafe. The coffee is pretty decent too. If you like sugar with your coffee, don't ask the lady to mix it in (because she can't stir for shit). You might as well stir it yourself.

4) Building One Cafe: The one that you enter and have to walk down the stairs for (level 3). If I have an exam in Building One, I normally grab a coffee there and sit on the lounges on that level for a quick cram. There are always seats to sit and enjoy your coffee.

5) Harris St Cafe: I only go to this cafe if I have like a 2hr lecture at the university hall and I am in need of coffee (like one during the break in between). Not the best of coffees though, and the size of the 'large' coffee isn't what I would consider as large (more of a medium, in between large and regular).

Last edited:

shobaday

HSC
There are a few more food gems around the area.

Along Harris St - walking towards Powerhouse museum past Gloria Jeans en route between Haymarket and Building 6/ABC TV centre/TAFE:

Sydney Kopitiam Malaysian Cafe
594 Harris St, Ultimo, Sydney
Tel: +61 (02) 9282 9883

http://grabyourfork.blogspot.com/2007/04/sydney-kopitiam-malaysian-cafe-ultimo.html

You get lunch specials around $7 for the usual Asian stir-fry stuff, or go with friends and try the Hakka style Pork , Hainanese Chicken Rice or Bak Kut Teh with steamed rice to mop up the sauce and share the costs.
Also try their Cendol and Ice Kacang (Popular Malaysian desserts).

Hannah's Pie
Pretty much as famous as Harry's Pie, on the corner of the Powerhouse museum. No seating though, you stand and eat your pie, or take away. $3-8 per pie, depending on what filling and toppings.

Opposite the Road

A Thai place opposite the road does awesome Pad Thai, for about $7-8 around lunchtimes.

Bucket Cafe
with your typical salads, soups and coffee. Popular with office workers in the area.

Up Mary Ann St on the left:

After you pass TAFE, walk 1 block on Harris and turn left into Mary Ann St. Walk down the slope:

You got your corner fish and chips shop

and an Asian, Chinese style food.

You can get your typical "Asian fix" here - but bring a friend who knows real Chinese food (or at least someone who can read the chinese specials on the walls). Better for group of friends - dishes costs $10-20 and are meant to be shared.

Places to eat especially after an exam near Wentworth Park.

At corner of William Henry St and Wattle St (at the corner of the park before heading to the exam centre), there's a Asian restaurant on the right of Wattle St.

Chinese Herbal King Seafood Restaurant
Address: Shop 328, 310 Wattle Street, Ultimo
(02) 9660 7588
Open everyday, 8am-midnight.

It's "Chinese" but it's more a Singaporean/Malaysian type dishes, with Bak Kut Teh, Laksa, Fish (Head/Fillet) noodle soup, Singaporean Chilli Crab, and Hanianese Chicken Rice to name a few.
Generous sized portions for around $10 meal in a bowl. Highly recommend their fish noodle soup! Share between 2-3 people for one portion - it is very generous!
There's a tasty massive fish head noodle soup. You can probably share it between 2-4 people depending on the size of your appetite. After attempting to eat the whole thing, I'd felt like I'd gone on a buffet. It's still fairly reasonably priced, but bring friends to taste the dishes.

If you walk up that fairly steep slope of William Henry St for 2 blocks, you'll see a community centre on your left, and a pizza cafe on your right.

Go to the Pizza cafe - they do woodfire oven pizzas, made to order! It's about $10 or so for the pizza or pasta.

Along Broadway/George St en route to Broadway Shopping Centre/Victoria Park/Sydney Uni

Bourke St Bakery on Broadway
http://grabyourfork.blogspot.com/2005/09/bourke-street-bakery-broadway.html

Walk along the side with Notre Dame Uni and the car wash, next to Kinko's Printing Service and diagonally opposite to Mountain St.

It has THE best pastries - their tarts and breads are delightful - about $3-4 and won't break the bank account. Not too sure about the waistline though...

Opposite the road, on the side with Easy Way with all the different fast food places

Sunflower Crepe Café
147 Broadway, Ultimo, Sydney
Tel: +61 (02) 9211 5298

http://grabyourfork.blogspot.com/2007/08/sunflower-crepe-cafe-ultimo.html

Taiwanese (Asian) savoury crepes, noodle soup and rice dishes. $10-15 dollars for a main, but one plate it all.

After you walk pass one chunk of these places there’s an opening on the right to go into a courtyard area, Follow that sign, then turn left to see..

Malacca Straits

Malaysian-Thai offerings with under $10 for mains, Pad Thai, Malaysian style fried noodles (Char Kiew Teow) or noodle soup. Nice modern furnishings.

That's all the food I'm reviewing for now.

Other areas to keep an eye out for:

The row of chinese restaurants right after crossing Co-op bookshop en route to Central Station along George St - Chinese/Asian food with snacks such as glutinous rice in lotus leave (meal on the go - extremely filling) for a few dollars, and meals are generous (easily feed 2 people) for their meals around $10-15.

Turn into Mountain St, and check out the cafes along that road about 1 block onwards.

Other Things to Do:

Go to the Fish Market - it's basically walking to Wentworth Park, but stay on Wattle St until you get to the end, then you will see Fish market in front of you. Best place for sashimi, fish and chips and seafood galore (especially when shared with a bunch of friends)

Thursday + Fridays - go to Paddy's Market and shop for bargains in a large variety of stuff. For students living in the city it's the place for fresh veggies and fruits as groceries.

Friday city markets - take the free bus along George St to the Rock's Farmer's market,
or catch a bus to Town Hall, walk across Hyde Park to St Mary's Cathedral for
Cook+Phillip Farmer's Market
http://grabyourfork.blogspot.com/2008/08/hawkesbury-harvest-farmers-and-fine.html
10.30am to 2.30pm
little bit of food, sweet treats and fresh veggie and fruit.
Best of all - free food samples :D

Walk to Darling Harbour, enjoy the day with friends, chatting.

Galaxy World at Market City and watch the people play Dance Dance Revolution out the front. Better still, play it yourself.

Broadway Shopping Centre for shopping/window shopping/movie.

Art Gallery in building 6 and look in the art exhibition (free).

Powerhouse museum and check out their exhibitions.

Hope this helps.

miche11e

HSC
Re: 回复: The UTS 'Places to Eat + Things to Do' Thread

does the uni have a pool?

King.BBjames

Banned
HSC

miche11e said:
does the uni have a pool?
ye.

its $10 per game if your from the north shore.
$2 per game if your from southern/inner/western sydney

King.BBjames

Banned
HSC

any bloody nandos around uni?

miche11e

HSC

ye.

its $10 per game if your from the north shore.
$2 per game if your from southern/inner/western sydney
Not as in snooker pool. Is there a swimming pool?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)