The utterly terribly Hothouse (2 Viewers)

juggernaut

HSC
i love reality tv.. but ive noticed anything done by/with australians is fucken totally shit

for eg, survivor is one of my favourite shows.. absolutely hated the australian survivor

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
Paddle to freedom
February 19, 2004

It's struggling for viewers, and now even the contestants want to escape The HotHouse.

There was a hint of it on air last night, there'll be a bigger hint tonight, and the whole sordid tale will unfold tomorrow night.

Trudy the surfer chick did a runner from Bribie Island on Tuesday night. She grabbed her surfboard, leapt into the canal and paddled to freedom, not even telling partner Beau.

Now they've both been tossed off the site by the show's producers for breaking the rules.

Trudy, who was fast gaining a rep as a scheming, conniving back-stabber, paddled across the canal and rang a mate in Surfers to say "come and get me out of here", but the so-called mate rang the producers instead.

The producers grabbed their cameras and found Trudy at the shops, all muddy and bedraggled, still with her precious surfboard under her arm. Within the hour, she and Beau had packed their gear from the caravan and been run off the set.

Trudy told The Eye she'd just had enough of voting off people to their face.

So, "like Forrest Gump", she went for a paddle . . . and, just kept on going.

Evading 20 security guards, Trudy flagged a passing motorist on the other side of the canal and asked him to drive her into town.

She picked up some clothes from a boutique (staff recognised her from the show and handed them over for nix) and raised the alarm.

"I realised I didn't want to be in there," Trudy said.

"I put up this strong facade, but I'm really soft and I couldn't handle voting for people I liked."

It was voting off knockabout South Australians Peter and Tina that pushed her over the edge.

Trudy also missed surfing.

"When I went for a paddle and got to the other side, I just felt happy again," she said. "I hadn't felt like that for ages."

Trudy said Beau was upset at missing out on the $2 million house, but understood her need to get out.

"He's just laughing, because he knows me," she said. "Look, money can't buy you happiness."

Which is just as well, because the couple might not pocket their post-elimination $10,000 prize because they broke the rules.

now for the others to do the same! i hope that they quit during elimination day lol and totally screw up the show and make ch 10 scared of making another reality show ever again.

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
i hate the hot house esp trudy ..glad she's gone

lolzieee

rOosters ^_-
haha trudy is such a tool!
"omg it was like 'run forrest, run! except like... 'run trudy, run'"!
poor beau

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
apparently beau was never really into the idea anyway, he only did it coz it was important to trudy
me is glad shes gone.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
lol, i also found it funny how trudy was like 'we're a threat coz ppl know us on the outside' (referring to trudys surfing status) and im just thinking '...umm ok, id never heard of you before the show...'

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
yeh as if she was a threat,she was just dam lazy, she thinks she is great but she isnt.I feel sorry for the first couple that got voten off- scott and petra- it was trudys fault,as she brought up all this alliance business, but they didnt have a alliance, the way she made it up, and later she said we were friends so just by being friends there was an alliance.But to the other it sounded like they had a alliance behing ppl's backs.. im glad trudy is gone... she knew she'dbe voted off sooner or later anyway

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
I'm so glad Trudy is gone, what a stupid toss. When she was explaining why she left, she sounded like the biggest freak. "Run Forest, Run!"
The bad news now is that Mr and Mrs Bad Sport (Peter and Tina) are coming back. :( And now everyone will probably feel to guilty to vote them out.
Well, as you can probably tell, despite how bad this show is I watch it. I think it could have been a really good show, except the contestants they picked are too boring, and theres too many people in there to get involved in everyones personalities. There are people in there that occassionally get on camera, and I think "Who's that?" They also need to make it more dramatic...I mean, Survivor wasn't that great an idea, it's just that they way they went about presenting it makes it intriguing. Whereas the Hot House is basically just a show about a bunch of people with no opinions drinking a few beers. Who cares?
Bring back Seinfeld!

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
yeh I reckon its illy how Pete and Tina are coming back..Like they had they chance and thats it...

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by OZGIRL86
yeh I reckon its illy how Pete and Tina are coming back..Like they had they chance and thats it...
Yeah, they should ahve just bought in a whole new couple.
I don't think they really planned ahead!

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
haha that'll teach ch ten to put a reality show on 5 days a week

Viewers cool on The HotHouse
By David Dale
February 24, 2004

Channel Ten was the first to blink. Faced with public apathy to its new reality show The HotHouse, it has cancelled the Sunday night version, replacing it with the sitcom Everybody Loves Raymond.

"We have a strong sense of commercial responsibility, both to the sponsors and to the general market," a Ten spokeswoman said last night. "We decided to replace an underperforming show with a show that will meet their expectations."

The HotHouse will continue at 7pm on weeknights, leaving Seven with a reno-reality monopoly on Sundays in My Restaurant Rules, which needs all the help it can get.

Last week Ten beat Seven in prime-time audience share, averaging 23.9 per cent of mainland capital viewers between 6pm and midnight, to Seven's 23.4 (Nine 31.4 per cent, and the ABC 17.2 per cent). This time last year, Seven was three points up on Ten.

Seven had no shows in the week's top 10, while Ten had one (a repeat of Law & Order: SVU) and Nine had nine.

Yet more people quitting reality TV

Surfed away: Disgruntled HotHouse contestant Trudy Todd with her boyfriend Beau Callcott.
Life after reality TV
By FIONA BYRNE and PETA HELLARD
22feb04

A PROFESSIONAL surfer who paddled away from the chance to win a $2 million dream home on a so-called real life renovation series, has shattered the reality TV myth.

Trudy Todd took to the water off Queensland's Bribie Island on Tuesday and, in a TV first, swam out of Channel 10's poorly rating reality show The HotHouse.
But Todd has no regrets about turning her back on the seven-figure pot of gold, declaring the show a sham.

"It is not real at all," Todd said.

"I got told I was going on The Block. The Block is about building and renovating. This is not building and renovating. We spend an hour a day on the site.

"The builders do everything. We just carry a few things around for the cameras and make decisions."

Todd said she was furious at the way producers manipulated contestants' personalities and fiddled with facts in order to get "real" footage.

"I saw an ad for the show that had me packing my boards, Beau (Callcott, her boyfriend) walking around, and me leaving my pink boots behind, and none of that footage was even shot the day I left," she said.

"I got on my board and I paddled out and they did not even know until I rang them that I had gone.

"The only reason why they ended up catching me was I said I will tell you where I am as long as you promise you won't bring any cameras because I need to go back and get Beau.

"They gave me a guarantee and five minutes later there they are with a camera in my face. I realised then that they don't give two s--ts about anyone or anything but their ratings."

Todd said Hothouse chiefs deliberately set up situations to cause tension between the contestants, and baited participants with emotional carrots.

"I think people are put in there and they (producers) know their personalities and they know how to wire them up," she said.

"They knew my love was surfing and they pretty much held it against me. They promised me when I went on the show that I would be allowed to surf, and they lied. That is why I left.

"They set Scotty (another contestant) up on the first week. They made him the foreman and then they made him go away from the site and pretended that he went to the pub.

"Then everyone went surfing but me, and they told me it was Scotty who left me behind. They mix you up and ask you how you feel, but I am not going to be a puppet for anyone."

Todd said she had no regrets about going on the show or, for that matter, leaving it.

"I just felt a bit sorry for Beau because he wanted to win the $2 million and we have nothing," she said.

The Hothouse is not the only reality TV series to have contestants walk out this week.

Channel 10's other reality flop The Resort has been described as a hellish entertainment experiment gone wrong by a Perth entrant who quit the series after only eight days.

Entertainment agent Christie Pitts fled the show claiming she could not take the tough conditions, the heavy workload and fame-seeking, bickering castmates.

I'm no fan of this show but this Trudy Todd seems like a complete idiot - making it conditional that she go surfing!?!!WTF@#$%@&! I mean you don't see them giving folks on Survivor a TV break, or contestants in Big Brother let out for the day to go orienteering, hell in that Extreme Makeover they don't let you see your family (let alone your face) for months! If I was this woman's boyfriend I'd be having serious thoughts about what kind of nutjob she is!

Last edited:

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by EskimoPunk
Death to The Hothouse and Erica. She annoys me like no other.
I concur.
At least there is already one less screening per week. I just hope that the lesson is learnt from underperforming reality programs, that flooding the airways with them is not the answer. Just hope that there doesn't end up being some huge hit that incites networks to begin the whole hellish cycle again. Sorry, but Erica annoys me that much. :p

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
the promotions for the show during january annoyed the hell out of me. i haven't watched one episode yet

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by mic
the promotions for the show during january annoyed the hell out of me. i haven't watched one episode yet
Keep yourself 'pure' from its insidous influence, lest you be left uttering the horror..the horror.

I've suffered enough from hearing it once or twice in the background.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)