The Vampire Chronicles (1 Viewer)

obzedyon

HSC
Since there doesn't seem to be a thread for it -- if there is, could someone kindly point me to it?

How do you like it? I'm yet to read the Feast Of All Saints, Merrick and the last one (forgotten the name)

I love Marius, his pain touches me. I can't helt but cry for him. And Armand.

Actually, I just wanted to ask how on earth do you pronounce Amadeo? It's is "a-MAH-dey-o" or "a-ma-DEY-o"? Not too good with Latin pronounciations, sorry!

G

Gavvvvvin

Ive read The Vampire Lestat and now Im reading Interview with the Vampire.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I went through a phase where I submerged myself in a number of them... though I still haven't read The Vampire Lestat. I thoroughly enjoyed the world she created. I haven't found another quite so compelling... something to do with the timelessness of it all.

I'm pretty sure his name is pronounced "a-ma-DEY-o".

grendel

day dreamer
HSC
N/A
when i initially read the first three novels (a few years ag now) i was a big fan, rice painted a pretty interesting world quite different to the usual vampire fare, however on subsequent readings i was kind of disappointed. i don't think she is a great writer and the vampire Louis, who i initially found a sympathetic character started to get on my nerves. maybe my change in attitude had a lot to do with the proliferation of vampire novels and movies (blade, underworld) which borrowed a few of rices ideas. i must say that i did find the whole egyptian thing in queen of the damned fascinating (has anyone seen the film? is it worth watching?)

the best vampire novel i have read is "the stress of her regard" by tim powers. i call it a vampire novel but that would be doing it a great inservice, well worth a read.

music dr

the little mermaid
HSC
i heard just recently that elton john has just finished writing a musical based on the book 'The Vampire Lestat' and it's completely orchestral! my 3 fav things!

1. horror and vampires
2. Musicals
3. Orchestra! (espesh. musical orchestra!)

can't wait till it comes out here!

obzedyon

HSC
Are you serious? Fantastic! Go Elton John! I can't wait either.

Grendel, I know what you mean. I loved Louis in the beginning, but then I wound up thinking that he was so much of a coward and so afraid to let go of his human side to become what he truly is. On one hand, it's good that he doesn't want to convert himself into a crazed bloody-lusting creature (oh, dear, too late?) but all the suppression is only going to lead to another Claudia type fiasco. Uh, spoiler?

The film Queen of The Damned -- don't watch it if you're a die-hard Anne Rice/Vampire Chronicle/Armand fan, you'll find it really disappointing and feel jipped all throughout (Armand get two lines in it, and as much as I love Matt Newton, his character might as well have been written off for the waste of space he was). I own the DVD ... not sure why I do. You might feel a bit better after listening to the Director's Commentary, but shoving two books worth of material together and then axing it into a quarter just doesn't work for me.

Actually, Interview With The Vampire really bored me. I skipped about 6 chapters without really missing much. Although I am tempted to go back and read it just for the Armand-ness.

Has anyone read Blackwood Farm? To me it just sounds like her own personal fantasy. Actually, the Mayfair witches sound like her own personal fantasy. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but Tarquin got on my nerves so much and the entire family was so warped that the book lost the realism found in her previous novels. I think that's one of the main attractions about the Vampire Chronicles, how real and believable it is -- almost makes you want to go to New Orleans and stand around waiting for Lestat. And with Blackwood Farm ... all that was lost. And the ending was sooo disappointing.

What about Anne Rice's other stuff. I've only read Cry To Heaven, which was interesting enough, except had Tonio(? I think that's him) not already been castrated, I would've done it myself -- that was how frustrated at him I was. lol

PookieMonster

Got bored & left 30/01/05
HSC
pookie1234 said:
i have about a metre worth of bookshelf containing anne rice i havent read lol
yea thats me, just getting my post count up cos they stole my account

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
i love the series, i havent read it all tho. I have it all in a variety of formats but havent had the time (or dedication) yet to read the lot. The movies... sucked. IWTV was okay, much better than QOTD. Tho i love the soundtrack to QOTD :D

What i find funny is Rice is such a homophobe yet she tends to write alot of her characters leaning in that direction. Its strange and extremely odd.

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
I hated QotD. It was... tragic. But funny; I giggled quite a bit while watching it.

Huh, and here I just thought she had trouble writing about guys that were cultured and/or intelligent. Weird.

Kirsti

HSC
I hated the QOTD movie but only cause I spent the whole thing explaining to my non-Chronicle fan friend why they screwed it up. I imagine its a fairly decent movie if you can forget about the book for a bit

Personally I loved MOST of the Chronicles. I read them out of order so it spoiled some of them a little (eg, Blood and Gold before Vampire Armand was a bit of a spoiler). Memnoch the Devil annoyed me a little. It just went on too long I guess. (saying that cause it was too long ago and I can't remember exactly why I didn't like it :)). I just read Blackwood Farm like, 3 weeks ago. I found it ok but it didn't really fit in with the rest of the series at all. Belonged more with the Mayfair books I thought. I haven't read most of them but the characters aren't as engaging and Lestat and friends (except for maybe Mona, she sounds hot, lol) so I don't think I'll continue with them.

HSC
Yeah memnoch the devil is awesome..
Thats is what i'm up to reading right now..and ihave to put a stop to that till the holidays come around :( Next on my list is Servant of the Bones...
My friend got me a beautiful copy of "Interview with a Vampire" for my birthday today ^^ i love how anne rice writes...so passionate and descriptive!
But yes...i'm glad i'm not the only one who reads Anne Rice...

sofimac16

HSC
Question: I have been trying to find all the vampire chronicles books butI don't know the names...WHAT ARE THEY!!!!

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Anne Rice turned christian a year ago, I forgot to mention. Which is interesting considering what she writes about.

HSC
Yeah...she is currently writing a series on Jesus' life yes?

At the time i think she was going through questioning her spiritual beleifs....

One can't help but relate her subject matters to her own opinions even though i know we shouldnt...but it seriously seems like that when you read through the series..memnoch the devil was super 'questioning'....
I love her way of thinking, and her devotion into what she beleives :)

SituationNoir

HSC
Gavvvvvin said:
Anne Rice makes my eyes bleed :(
Yes. Oh yes.
Well, I'm a big fan of gothic fiction etc.
The real stuff.
Like...STOKER. John Polidori. And quite a few of the early poets, Coleridge, Byron etc.
I find it difficult to read Anne Rice, it all seems a little too...I don't know. It could be because I prefer early horror/gothic literature, but I don't see vampires in the same way Ms Rice does. It's all very...annoying.

sociopath

HSC
i absolutely adore the vampire chronicles. im currently up to "the Tale of the Body Thief" which is awesome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)