The 'What are you doing?' thread. (1 Viewer)

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
To be honest I'm not sure why there isn't already one of these threads here. Possibilities are that it's against the forum rules, which I can't see anywhere if they do exist which I feel is unlikely because of the unstructured nature of EE2 (draws breath) or because people round here are too paranoid/silly/lazy/whatever to share. So if I'm out of order, please feel free to give me a good old-fashioned EE2 re-education (non-stop forced reading of 'literary classics' if I'm not mistaken) but otherwise:

This is where you post your current idea, where you're going with it, what it's about, and other interesting stuff about your MW that the rest of us can plagiar - I mean, appreciate. Feel free to provide as much or as little detail as you like.

Me, I'm basing my short story on Revelation chapter 6 - the Seven Seals. My story is divided into seven parts, each corresponding to a seal. It's a dystopian story, set in the future sometime, and its defining characteristic is that the philosophy of postmodernism - in this case, the refutation of pure and knowable truth - has become the state religion. People who claim to know truth are executed as heretics. Of course, Revelation deals with a final and incontrivertable truth, namely the Apocalypse and the Second Coming. This is where the tension springs from.

I'm not quite sure of the details such as plot :)p) but I'm sure they'll work themselves out in the end.

How about your good selves?

HSC
N/A
Asheroth said:
To be honest I'm not sure why there isn't already one of these threads here. Possibilities are that it's against the forum rules, which I can't see anywhere if they do exist which I feel is unlikely because of the unstructured nature of EE2 (draws breath) or because people round here are too paranoid/silly/lazy/whatever to share.
I totally blame the conglomerate threads. People tend to get really complacent going back to the same thread over and over again and start refusing to stray outside. But it is GREAT that you have! If there is ever too much of something, or something against the rules, Justin (jhakka) or myself will do something about it. Until then, use your own common sense and enjoy yourselves :)

gwemma88

HSC
I did not understand anything Asheroth said about his idea. Could it be that my brain is actually melting away due to lack of stimulation during school holidays?

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
Ah, the infamous holiday brain. I've got one of those too, but only in the maths/constructing a sentence department :D

And the idea is that you post your idea too, otherwise this whole thing just turns into me raving about my idea to the lot of you, which is incredibly boring :p

gwemma88

HSC
Well I know quite a few people have not finalised their ideas so though I may be paranoid, I just dont want to give too much away in terms of what I am doing, well at least planning on writing.

I apologise for being so incredibly vague right now, but let's just say that I am exploring the suicide of a noteworthy literary figure through varying perspectives and mediums.

Again sorry for my vagueness, but alas I am paranoid.

Hermzie

rarrrrrrrrr
HSC
gwemma88 said:
Well I know quite a few people have not finalised their ideas so though I may be paranoid, I just dont want to give too much away in terms of what I am doing, well at least planning on writing.

I apologise for being so incredibly vague right now, but let's just say that I am exploring the suicide of a noteworthy literary figure through varying perspectives and mediums.

Again sorry for my vagueness, but alas I am paranoid.
I'm pretty paranoid about my idea too, but I can say that it's art meets obsession meets romance.

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
Wow. I was actually joking when I made that comment about being paranoid. *sigh* As you like. I know my morals would prevent me from lifting someone elses idea, but, alas, I'm not everyone :p

Cat_Orange

HSC
I'm afraid I'm one of those people who still doesn't have a firm idea of what the hell they're doing. But apparently that's normal, so I'm not having a mental breakdown yet. Give me another week until I go back to school.

On the other hand, Asheroth - you seem to have it all worked out! I have to admit, I haven't totally understood your idea but it looks like you've got something well under way.

I was thinking of doing something like a monologue, or a 'Day in the Life Of...' because apparently I have an engaging way of observing the world around me. Nothing like a good ol' ego boost now and then. But I was also thinking of stealing the characters from some of the classics and putting them in a room together to see what they would do. Or is the against copywrite laws or laws that say you shouldn't steal other people's characters?

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
The reason why you can't fully understand my idea is cos it's incredibly vague and nebulous. I discover new things about it every day. :p

Cat Orange: Stealing characters is alright as long as the work is in the public domain eg. Conan Doyle's stuff is completely up for grabs. Alternatively (and I think this would be more fun) you could pick incredibly well-known characters and parody them - this gives you a bit of freedom and it's a fun way of stealing somebody's character without infringing copyright law.

Cat_Orange

HSC
Public domain? So, would, say Jane Austen or Jules Verne or Alexandre Dumas be out there? It's not a firmly planted idea but I have a couple floating around in case one fizzles out.

gwemma88

HSC
aurelia jejune said:
Possibly post-modern satirical political tragicomedy of manners and errors.

What the hell is that?! It sounds as if you have just typed "big english words" into google and pasted the reult!

almightyBZZZ

Snib Control Officer.
HSC
I didn't either. It sounded too intelligent. And....shit I've actually forgotten the word...OH MY GOD THERE'S AN ENORMOUS SPIDER ON MY ROOF (sorry, i saw it when i looke dup to think)...anyway. Um...where you're threatened. It's threatening. Because my idea is crap in comparison.

...I'm writing three short stories, each witht eh same protagonist, who tries to end her life. Each story will see her in a different social class, to explore that shit. And each will have a different outcome (chance, fate, choice - live, be revived, die). Yah. Thrilling stuff.

Hermzie

rarrrrrrrrr
HSC
So far I've got 3 short excerpts (500 words?) from different parts of my story. I've decided to tackle one long story but break it up into episodes. I haven't done anything in a whole week and am starting to feel guilty again. Meh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)