The whole timetable deal (1 Viewer)

James87

Club Mac - 1st Year 2006!
HSC
I received an offer for a BBA Ba-psych at Macquarie, after getting one for Arts at Sydney. Reading up on both has really confused me. For my degree at Macquarie, it says a total of 96 cred. points are needed, over 4 years. In contrast, Sydney's 3 year Arts degree called for 144. What the? I was also wondering what the average number of credit points is each semester, because Sydney said it was 24. Also, I was wondering if someone who specifically does this degree could give me some help. It has all these required units of study, in first year totalling 30c.p's worth of 100level units, and the maximum number of 100 level units is 30. Does this make it impossible to study a subject like Geography or English??? There are required subjects like accounting and marketing, but the only subject it requires u to study in the Arts degree is psychology. Nothing else? I am very, very confused.
Thanks

manifestation

What?!
HSC
Well I can help you with the credit point thing.

Sydney Arts, subjects are worth either 6 to 8 credit points, most of the time 6. So you complete 24 credit points per semester, so that's about 4 subjects each semester which is pretty much the general amount. Where as Maq the credit points for each subject is smaller like 4 or 3 I think so that's why it seems like Syd wants you to do more, but really it's the same only Syd has more credit points per subject.

CieL

HSC
ahahah you're in the same course as me!!

CieL

HSC
*no edit button how weird*

well from what i have understood, for this subject you do about 4 units per semester, each unit is worth 3 credit points (so 4x3=12CP/semester; equivalent to 24CP/year)

if you choose to "overload", which is to do 5 units per semester, not only would you need special permission but it would be a heck of a time

so for the 100 units, you pick 8 of the 10.. and then you do the other 2 in the 2nd year of the course

i realised that even though it says it's a four year course, the subjects only go up to 300.. so i assume they give you time to complete your "required units"

as for your extra subjects.. like geography or english.. i asked the woman.. and she said that for the first year i should only look at studying the core subjects.. so yeh

hope that helps?

James87

HSC
Thanks heaps for that.
Ciel, we can be course buddies! lol. BTW (still directed at Ciel), it is kind of confusing, because with all those required units, the total comes to 30 credit points (???). So u do say 4 subjects (12cp) a semester = 24 cp in first year. Then u do 2 100level subjects in 2nd year?

Also, can u do those artsy subjects later on? Second/third year?

CieL

HSC
James87 said:
Thanks heaps for that.
Ciel, we can be course buddies!
lol maddd!

James87 said:
total comes to 30 credit points (???). So u do say 4 subjects (12cp) a semester = 24 cp in first year. Then u do 2 100level subjects in 2nd year?
That is correct.. hence why they say MAX is 30CP for first yr.. cos that's 5 units per semester.. and i've written a timetable for that by mistake and trust me, you do NOT want that.. it's uni 5 days a week for very long hours

oh, and hints from other members i've received, the two 100 level units that you leave out for 2nd yr.. pick the ones that aren't prerequisits for the next semester..

i think Supra (sorry if i get this wrong) advised me to do ACST101 and ACCG105 in my 2nd year..

James87 said:
Also, can u do those artsy subjects later on? Second/third year?
uhhh if you have the time i guess so? but since this is a double degree i think it's loaded as it already is.. ask other people on enrollment day.. or ask the other MQ/BoS members, they should know better than i do about these matters

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I think Skittled is the other doing this course, so it'd probably be best to ask him or look through the past threads, i'm sure we discussed something similar, and welcome :)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
CieL said:
i think Supra (sorry if i get this wrong) advised me to do ACST101 and ACCG105 in my 2nd year..
just make sure they aren't prerequisites for any of your second year subjects

CieL

HSC
^ lol yeh i mentioned that in the sentence before that quote

and to check if they're prerequisites or not, check the handbook.. or go online to check it.. i think it's the red section..

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
CieL said:
^ lol yeh i mentioned that in the sentence before that quote

and to check if they're prerequisites or not, check the handbook.. or go online to check it.. i think it's the red section..
yah always look out for pre-requisites...it could be a costly mistake (i.e u might have to rush and do the pre-requisite in summer school, which involves an upfront payment of more tahn $1600)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Supra said:
yah always look out for pre-requisites...it could be a costly mistake (i.e u might have to rush and do the pre-requisite in summer school, which involves an upfront payment of more tahn $1600)
$1600+ is basically only for stat. the rest are relatively cheaper.

$1550 or $1450. ;)

CieL

HSC
o_O omg costly

i was thinking just before about which 2 units to do for my 2nd yr.. and i'm like, bahh who cares.. whichever will be fine.. then i see $1k+ upfront payments for summer school..

i dont fully understand.. but do you guys reckon it'll be alright to do ACST101 and ACCG105 in the 2nd year?

Because i just looked at 2nd yr.. and ACCG200's prerequisit is ACCG105 =.=

Does that mean i should leave ISYS123 to the 2nd yr instead?

Advice would be well appreciated, like always =]

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
mm yeah like this is my degree so i guess i should answer this.

ACCG105 and ACST101 are pre reqs to get into some subjects on ur BBA side of your degree..

so ciel yeah that would probably be wise doing a comp subject in ur second year instead...

however the best advice i can give you

is start from 4th year then work yourself down to 100 level subjects and plan your program like that.

And to the first poster ... yeah you can do englishy type subjects for your degree (not in ur first year though) .. just choose em for ur electives... i think you get 2 electives or somethign... cant remember off the top of my head

mehhh so over uni

CieL

HSC
COUGH!!!

James87.. are you a normo??

Smokin'Squirrel

Learning to Surf
HSC
CieL said:
oh, and hints from other members i've received, the two 100 level units that you leave out for 2nd yr.. pick the ones that aren't prerequisits for the next semester..

If I were you, I wouldn't do those subjects unless they're cores (they appear in the program of study for your undergraduate degree).

Electives should represent something that you will enjoy. For example, taking up the foundations of a foreign language or exploring the myths of the ancient world... uni is basicly what you make of it... don't over burden yourself with subjects that you don't have to do or may very well not like. Ask questions and do electives that you will enjoy as ultimately you will have the same piece of paper as everyone else in your course at the end, yet you may be able to demonstrate more depth.

James87

HSC
Hey Ciel - yes, Normo Pride.
Purely by the way u said 'Are you a normo?'', i am going to assume you went to Hornsby Girls.

CieL

HSC
Smokin'Squirrel said:
If I were you, I wouldn't do those subjects unless they're cores (they appear in the program of study for your undergraduate degree).
well.. of course they're core units.. if not.. why would i burden myself with accounting and crap from acturial studies~!? LOL

i dont get any electives in my first year

CieL

HSC
James87 said:
Hey Ciel - yes, Normo Pride.
Purely by the way u said 'Are you a normo?'', i am going to assume you went to Hornsby Girls.
Yerrr.. and i know you have red hair too

i KNOW you =.= well.. know of more like..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)