The Windows Registry (1 Viewer)

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
One of the key places to pinpoint problems in Windows operating systems is the registry. Most programs install a key somewhere in the Windows registry. The registry is also very sensitive. There is no save changes, all changes are made at the time of editing.

A few points I think should be discussed. Many operating system manufacturers are increasingly making their systems fool proof. Microsoft does it, Apple does it, and many distros of Linux have done it. A point to discuss is why hasn't Mircosoft set up the registry to allow for errors? Why does it increasinly "baby" it's users, but keep its registry mistake prone? With software such as HijackThis allowing people to see registry entries to stop spyware, more people are going to change entries.

When I learnt Visual Basic, within my first week, I learnt how to access the Windows registry. I also learnt how to completely clear it, rendering Windows useless. Why this lack of security? If I can make a program like that, what stops a cracker creating some malware from doing the same thing? Why didn't Microsoft only allow the Registry to be accessed by the Administrator account (the one that can be loaded up in Safe Mode)?

The idea of having certain information for all programs grouped together in one file is good. It's organised. However, having keys for the operation of mere applications and keys for the operation of the system together seems silly to me. Why not have a second registry for applications? This will protect the main registry, and allow the system to boot even if the application registry is tampered with. It's far more desireable to be able to get the system to start than it is, say Word. If Word doesn't start, at least you have your files in tact, and are easily able to retrieve them. You can also just re-install Word and you're good to go again.

As you can see, I think the registry is sloppy, but a good idea. With some work it can be safer, and easier to use.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
On the same note Windows automatically sets all users to administrator, rather than having one admin and a whole bunch of limited accounts, which means that people who know nothing about the computer or how it works can make systemwide changes and also allows virii to more easily get a foothold.
EDIT: the reason why people can make systemwide changes to the registry so easily comes under window's ease of use policy, people simply don't want to have to go through a thousand prompts to fuck up their computer, so windows lets them do everything easily, and yes I agree that people shouldn't have access to the registry if they have no idea what they're doing

Last edited:

woodsier

bleh
HSC
N/A
Well, many anti-adware programs protect the registry, such as Spybot S&D, and Webroot Spysweeper.

Then again, any malicious virus or piece of malware could easily just shut that process, then destroy the registry..

Yet, there are many more efficient ways to screw up a computer; including cmd -> deltree /y c:\*.*

Assasinator_2

HSC
The problem with a locked registry is Joe Bloggs average user doesn't know how to access the admin account, and as such, if it is only read-only for other users, he cannot acutally ever install programs that need to add registery settings.

Not to mention many programs write to the registery as part of a trial period/etc. if they're shareware, just to name one example.

sladehk

le random
HSC
Programs like Spybot have a "residnet shield" that notifies and lets the user decide whether certain registry values are allowed to be added/deleted/edited

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Assasinator_2 said:
The problem with a locked registry is Joe Bloggs average user doesn't know how to access the admin account, and as such, if it is only read-only for other users, he cannot acutally ever install programs that need to add registery settings.

Not to mention many programs write to the registery as part of a trial period/etc. if they're shareware, just to name one example.
Windows should create an Admin account that appears in the regular login screen with the pictures and advise the user not to use it unless they're installing something or changing settings etc. Maybe make it so that programs can write to the registry, but the avg user cannot through regedit?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)