The Woolworths Thread (12 Viewers)

HSC
My store manager has now guaranteed us minimum 10 operators, plus 1 smokeshop and 2 supervisors on Sundays between 11 and 4 (our peak trading times).
This is excellent. Last sunday we had two supervisors and five operators (no smokeshop operator). Much improved, but I don't know where he's going to take this from the budget.

HSC
Did 44 hours last week, expected to get in trouble coz I'm only PPT but no-one said a thing, ha.

And why are Coles employees talking about Coles in the Woolies thread, theres a Coles thread for a reason!

HSC
SpongeHead said:
The problem is now I'm on holidays and they are hardly giving me any shifts - this week I've only been rostered for 4 hours! :O Are they punishing me or something - even though my SM has been quite happy with me all this time? lol I asked one of the supervisers the other day wat the go is and she said they are giving all the new ppl at our store the shifts... so where does that leave me? Can they do that? I know I'm just casual but if I dont understand how they can call me so many times during semester begging me to come in to work yet now when I'm on holidays and it's getting busier with christmas, I'm only getting one lousy 4 hour shift? Should I just tell them if they cant give me more shifts, I'll jsut go elsewhere and look for a job where they actually need me?? :speechless:
Don't do any threatening. A few people have done this in my store and management have gone "that's okay, we overhired for christmas anyway".
Just let them know that you are available. The issue is more that everyone else is available, not just you. I suggest leaving a note for your dept manager (or whoever does rosters) saying that you're available the day BEFORE rosters are done. That way its fresh in their memory, and you might get some more shifts.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
meow-says-kitty said:
Did 44 hours last week, expected to get in trouble coz I'm only PPT but no-one said a thing, ha.

And why are Coles employees talking about Coles in the Woolies thread, theres a Coles thread for a reason!
lol, you wont get in trouble, but the department managers who rostered you on for the last 6 of those hours sure as hell will. 6 hours of overtime = 11 hrs ordinary time

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
wiccanchilde said:
It's a brilliant life, isn't it?
Nope. All Woolworths cares about is making money, they don't give a stuff about the people who make them the money (us)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Wheelbarrows said:
hey townie, is woolies still hiring?
they did an induction last week in our Area, but probably the last one till Feb

MjM2

HSC
Just wondering if they stuffed up my pay, and thought I'd check with you guys.

I'm 18 y.o, working casual, and my safeway job is tax free.

Last week I worked

Fri 1600 - 2100

Sat 0900 - 2100

Sun 0800 - 1600 (was only meant to work to 1300, but manager asked me to stay back)

I had a half an hour lunch break for sat and sun. By my calculations, I should have gotten paid around $302, but I was only paid $269.82. Am I missing something?

Also, these were my first 3 shifts, and they were all filled out on the adjustment form, not using the finger scanner.

Last edited:
HSC
MjM2 said:

Last week I worked

Fri 1600 - 2100

Sat 0900 - 2100

Sun 0800 - 1600 (was only meant to work to 1300, but manager asked me to stay back)

I had a half an hour lunch break for sat and sun. By my calculations, I should have gotten paid around $302, but I was only paid $269.82. Am I missing something?

Also, these were my first 3 shifts, and they were all filled out on the adjustment form, not using the finger scanner.
Have you had tax or union taken out? Safeway shouldn't be 'tax free' when you say you should have earned over 300 dollars.

MjM2

HSC
babikakez said:
Have you had tax or union taken out? Safeway shouldn't be 'tax free' when you say you should have earned over 300 dollars.
I ticked the tax free box in my tax form I handed in to them. I'm not part of the union or anything like that.

HSC
MjM2 said:
I ticked the tax free box in my tax form I handed in to them. I'm not part of the union or anything like that.
At the rate you're paid, you would earn over $6000 if you were working full time, so you get taxed on that basis, because the ATO can't know for sure how much you'll earn until the end of the financial year (1 July 2009). If you've earned less than $6000 at that time, then you'll get all your tax back.

I've just found this out myself, as I misunderstood that part of the form as well, and ticked no because I knew I was going to earn over $6k for the year. I've made over $6000 as of today, and noticed on my pay slip I was getting taxed almost twice the correct amount.

Now I need to submit another TFN Declaration form, and will wait 6 months for my lost monies :(

Last edited:

MjM2

HSC
Trampoline Man said:
At the rate you're paid, you would earn over $6000 if you were working full time, so you get taxed on that basis, because the ATO can't know for sure how much you'll earn until the end of the financial year (1 July 2009). If you've earned less than $6000 at that time, then you'll get all your tax back.

I've just found this out myself, as I misunderstood that part of the form as well, and ticked no because I knew I was going to earn over $6k for the year. I've made over $6000 as of today, and noticed on my pay slip I was getting taxed almost twice the correct amount.

Now I need to submit another TFN Declaration form, and will wait 6 months for my lost monies :(
So what rate are they taxing me at then, if they don't know how much I'm going to earn? Is it some arbitrary figure?

Dod0

HSC
Just wondering if there are any people that work at Big W around?

I'm looking for a stable job and like 3 shifts a week would that ever happen if I was to apply for Big W or would they just fuck me around ? I'm 16 if that's any help. I also have past experience so yeah.

I'm looking for something after the Christmas holidays as that hiring is already done I'm guessing.

Thanks for your help = ]

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
tax taken out on weekly pay is bascially calculated on the assumption you would earn this amount everyweek, so you pre-tax income may have been $302, so tax office just assumes a yearly income of, 15704, which means accross a year 1455.45 tax would be owed (ignoring tax offsets), which is $27.99 per week, plus they usually take out a touch more so you get a refund (which gets you the $32.18 you paid)

Doing it this way is much easier then keeping track of how much you've earned YTD.

MjM2

HSC
townie said:
tax taken out on weekly pay is bascially calculated on the assumption you would earn this amount everyweek, so you pre-tax income may have been $302, so tax office just assumes a yearly income of, 15704, which means accross a year 1455.45 tax would be owed (ignoring tax offsets), which is $27.99 per week, plus they usually take out a touch more so you get a refund (which gets you the $32.18 you paid)

Doing it this way is much easier then keeping track of how much you've earned YTD.
So what would happen if say the next week I work, I only earned $100? How much would I get taxed then.

mlee72

HSC
KaaN10 said:
Can I do nightfill if I'm 15?
No, have to be over 18 (cause our nightfill manager was asking around for staff one night and his first question was are you over 18, so yeah)

mlee72

HSC
MjM2 said:

Last week I worked

Fri 1600 - 2100

Sat 0900 - 2100

was it written on the adjustment that you only had 1/2 hour breaks if not they automatically deduct one hour, check on your payslip your total hours worked and see if it matches then check the taxed amount, if you really think youve been paid wrong go see the cash office they should be able to clear things up for you

samuraitor

BoS lover
HSC
Re: Woolworths FAQ- how to get a job

babikakez said:
Not really hard, sometimes it can be a bit of hit and miss depending upon when you are applying and when they need staff.

Apply for liquor, especially since you have RSA.

Just make sure that you've got relevant documentation of your right to work in Australia, and take that to any interviews.
Hey guys,

need some help with my cover letter for coles and woolies. Just dont know how to write it!! I am applying for stock replenisher positions, I don know how to put down my qualifications in half a page.

I have worked as a team leader in the gardening & contruction department. Also had different roles ranging from administration, expanding business ....

Any word of advice on how to put it down to a bloody A4?

nice5uy

HSC
Re: Woolworths FAQ- how to get a job

hey guys i got induction dis saturday but i dont know da location of the place ? please help ps. tried calling woolworths(chesterhill) & HR manager both hav failed, i somehow lost the location where i hav written on. i think its cnr fairfield rd at yennora or something. Its for nightfill position

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)