The Woolworths Thread (7 Viewers)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Hey, does anyone know if induction and training is paid at the same rate as your normal rate of pay? I did 10 hours all up and got paid slightly less than my wage rate. No biggie but just wondering how it works.

HSC
N/A
Got offer for service cashier today. =)

Induction tomorrow and Monday, first shift Wednesday.

(Do you get free alcohol for being a liquor assistant? ;))

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Sarah168 said:
Hey, does anyone know if induction and training is paid at the same rate as your normal rate of pay? I did 10 hours all up and got paid slightly less than my wage rate. No biggie but just wondering how it works.
maybe training is paid at the probation rate? induction certainly is

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
vulgarfraction said:
Got offer for service cashier today. =)

Induction tomorrow and Monday, first shift Wednesday.

(Do you get free alcohol for being a liquor assistant? ;))
haha, i wish!!

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
townie said:
maybe training is paid at the probation rate? induction certainly is
They only differ by about 60c/hr but the money I was paid for induction varied by more than $3/hr from my wage rate.

I might make sure I'm being paid the right wage for my age when I start working next week. Thanks anyway Townie.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
mouz said:
Can anyone help, i have a problem here. I applied for a service cashier position and got the job, I had my induction and was told to call up my store to find out when they would require me to work.
So i called up my store and they said if I could come in on Thursday when I'd be at the register with another worker (as I have no idea how to operate registers and wasn't tought how to, as part of the induction). Only problem is when i gave in my availability times Thursday was not part of them. Soo whyyyy are they telling me to come on Thurs, should I just go?? And also when are they gonne gimme the roster?? Any help would be great! Thanks.
Yeh when you are training you generally have to fit in with their times.
Are you a casual or part time? You need to either figure out your contract (if part time) or availability (the store doesnt get or care about whatever you filled out online) if casual, once you finish your three training shifts, and you do this with your service manager.
In your probation period I wouldnt recommend you take alot of time off.. you have a report written about you at 4 weeks, 7 weeks and 11 weeks.. then they can choose to keep or fire you. At our store we are close to letting go a couple of really unreliable newbies.. but our problem is not having enough staff for Christmas so we might have to keep them depending on if we can get new staff or not.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Crap, I'm taking off a whole midweek (5 days) and one other day for exams. They don't seem to mind...yet. Hopefully, my 100% flexibility after exams might help. Gahh!

kablz

HSC
Re: Woolworths FAQ- how to get a job

how long does it usually take for them to contact u after your online application?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC

It depends on availability and timing.

I applied tonnes after my HSC and first year uni but I applied AFTER my exams so it was mid Nov and they already finished hiring around my area. So, no calls and no job at all.

But this year, I decided to be a little more astute and applied early when positions started appearing on the Wowcareers site (around mid to end Oct) and got a call the day after apps closed. Went for a group interview the next day. Got a call for a store interview the day after and got the job 2 hours after the store interview.

Soyeah, depends if positions are available and your timing. Try to apply for a specific position on the site rather than a general application.

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC

resume said:
To obtain a position at Woolworths that utilizes my strong mathematical abilities, good people skills and hard-working nature. I’m highly motivated and talented and believe my skills can be used with great success at Woolworths.
Hey it isnt like maths with algebra and stuff like that right? cause i cant do that efficiently :(

HSC

Sarah168 said:
Try to apply for a specific position on the site rather than a general application.
Totally correct. I had my details on their database for a year and a half, but when i applied for a specific position, i had an interview within 2 days of submitting an application.
i've now been there just under 3 months

HSC

Sarah168 said:
I kept yawning during the videos :eek:.
The induction videos are sooooo BORING. They're just so general and aren't relevant at all for those on checkouts. I mean, if you were in deli or nightfill then maybe they wouldnt be so boring, but there wasn't one bit of useful information (that wasn't just common sense) for checkout staff.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC

MuffinMan said:
Hey it isnt like maths with algebra and stuff like that right? cause i cant do that efficiently :(
Algebra in Woolies :rofl:

No, you just gotta be able to add and subtract properly to avoid issues at the register.

I'm just starting and haven't dealt with a register and money/change for 3 years so I screwed up a few times with denominations for change haha.

MuffinMan

HSC

gah! that should be easy...checkouts are awesome, although i like packing more cause they bother you less and stuff like that

HSC
N/A

Sarah168 said:
No, you just gotta be able to add and subtract properly to avoid issues at the register.
As if you even need that.

I agree on the boring bit. I had my first induction today, I was just.... really really bored. :) But I survived, with a lot of coffee.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC

Well, counting out change, probably not but I hate it when people give you a huge pile of change and you barely have room on your hands to count it out and make sure you're getting it right while everyone else starts getting pissed off an impatient :mad1:

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC

Wow...

Day 8 of working at Safeway, on the three months probation and I get given a permanent part-time position (employed a casual)...Interesting.

9 hours on cup day...woooo...lol

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC

Well, it isn't for Safeway...which is why I mentioned it.

I remember being told explicitly that everyone is employed as a casual during probation, and people don't usually get given a contract until after it.

MuffinMan

HSC

Excalibur_ said:
Well, it isn't for Safeway...which is why I mentioned it.

I remember being told explicitly that everyone is employed as a casual during probation, and people don't usually get given a contract until after it.
oh i mean the whole employment process (ref post 1)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)