The Woolworths Thread (22 Viewers)

Xantios

HSC
N/A
Yea the uniforms for the all the departments are really nice. The checkout shirts look really good! Sucks though that I'm in nightfill and the shirts haven't really changed.
It looks like the green Nightfill shirts have remained as-is and have become the only shirt for everyone in longlife, including longlife and inventory managers. Still a good time to order a few more when they are half price and you get a free one with your order, too!

nanakid12

HSC
It looks like the green Nightfill shirts have remained as-is and have become the only shirt for everyone in longlife, including longlife and inventory managers. Still a good time to order a few more when they are half price and you get a free one with your order, too!
Is it just me, or does it look like its got a bit more of a blue tinge to it? Like it's still green but... more bluey. Ha. I'm still going to wear my nightfiller polo when doing tickets though. It's pretty annoying having to tuck in the other shirts every three seconds.

Had a lady come in today, said she didn't scan her rewards card to get a special... which was last week. Had to take her word for it and refunded her the difference. Dug around through ISIS and found out how to go through all the old offers! Pretty stoked with myself.

Also, found out there's a virtual RF gun on the workstation... RFEMULATOR or something like that its called. So much quicker than ISIS to dump stock! And an actual gun haha

quick90

HSC
Also, found out there's a virtual RF gun on the workstation... RFEMULATOR or something like that its called. So much quicker than ISIS to dump stock! And an actual gun haha
The VirtualRF was my best friend while working at Australia Fair, & only having around 4 guns total... :/

nanakid12

HSC
Tis getting a bit dull lately. :(

Full-time hours (well, pretty much) this week and next, woo! Also looking forward to Christmas, to rake in the dough.

I have a question... I'm quite tall, and I hate being on main checkouts for extended periods of time, because it seems to hurt my back and neck and shoulders. I took the bag racks of express, because they can sit up higher than the larger bag racks. However, when I do an 8 hour shift of just registers, it still hurts my back because I'm so tall.

Express doesn't seem to have that effect on me (I'm thinking because it's all so close together, I don't twist my back when moving bags around, etc), but then again I've never been on there for 8 hours straight. We're no where near busy enough to have a dedicated express lane, the supervisor usually opens one when its busy.

I'm going to the doctors tomorrow about my back... if I go to the gym, and then go to work afterwards it is extremely sore. Any ideas on what I can do about this, or does anyone else suffer from this problem? Frontend is my favorite department and I'd rather not move to another.

BSammy

HSC
with luck you can explain to the front end managers and they can do their best to keep you on registers suited to your back (just saw the bit about not needed express open all the time, that sucks. not too sure what can be done but hopefully something can be sorted :( )

i can't go in express for more than half an hour at my store without my back starting to kill me, and i don't do actual register operator shifts often, but when i do, and it looks like they may put me in express i remind them

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
Hey, with the new uniforms, can we still wear the black Woolworths woolen jumpers and vests, or will there be new ones??
Yep it's the same, I believe it's just the shirt

get in quick to get the massive discount

knacknick23

HSC
Question, since I'm a complete newbie and haven't worked ever, I was wondering if anyone could give me a Woolworths 101? As in if I were applying for work... how does the procedure work? Also what roles are available/best for an inexperienced 17 year old who just graduated from high school?

Did I mention I've never worked, ever... Oh yeah I did.

dogu

HSC
I just got a job today as a service cashier. This will be my first job.

The procedure I went through was I applied through the woolworths job application website which is called wow careers. There you have to submit your resume online and various other things. Then a few weeks later I got an email which said I had an interview (which was today). The interview itself was pretty straightforward, and I was told then and there that I was going to be hired.

The best suggestion I can give you is to apply to as many different positions at as many different stores as possible. I applied for several positions at two other stores and didn't hear from them at all.

Hope this helps.

knacknick23

HSC

The procedure I went through was I applied through the woolworths job application website which is called wow careers. There you have to submit your resume online and various other things. Then a few weeks later I got an email which said I had an interview (which was today). The interview itself was pretty straightforward, and I was told then and there that I was going to be hired.

The best suggestion I can give you is to apply to as many different positions at as many different stores as possible. I applied for several positions at two other stores and didn't hear from them at all.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the clarification, also I was wondering for the CV/resume part, is it alright to attach your 'school reference'? Or better to write a new one entirely -- because I really don't have many things to put in a newly-written resume.

dogu

HSC
Thanks for the clarification, also I was wondering for the CV/resume part, is it alright to attach your 'school reference'? Or better to write a new one entirely -- because I really don't have many things to put in a newly-written resume.
I included a school reference, I don't see that being an issue. It's also probably worth taking along your latest report card for school if you do well academically, I took mine along and the lady interviewing me seemed impressed.

lambsie

HSC

Hope this helps.
The process seems a lot more straight forward then when I applied several years ago. My procedure was apply online, group interview, in store interview with the store manager, then in store interview with a department manager, though I didn't understand the point in having 2 in store interviews if they were both getting sent back to HR anyway....

And then 6 hour long induction, and 3 hour in store induction!

Chewy_97

HSC
Hi guys,

I recently got a job at Woolworth's southland. I am in produce and I need to know what I need to order and what to wear. Specifics because the list of uniforms just says business top and cap. I know which cap but is there a special shirt suited to the role and what pants I need to wear. Please help I start on the 12th. Thanks

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
Hi guys,

I recently got a job at Woolworth's southland. I am in produce and I need to know what I need to order and what to wear. Specifics because the list of uniforms just says business top and cap. I know which cap but is there a special shirt suited to the role and what pants I need to wear. Please help I start on the 12th. Thanks
just get the plain green shirt for now, and place your order in for the new produce shirts for next year. as for the pants, go to lowes/bigw/target/kmart and pick up some black dress pants

djhol4

HSC
N/A
hiya,

ok so im 19 and have been working at Woolies for nearly 10 months now and loving it! However, I'm kind of getting a little bored. You see recently some one a year older than me got given supervisor numbers and are now being trained up and given more responsibilities, this person deserves it of course as they are a really hard worker have been working for 6 months longer than I have. But its made me realize how much I would also like to earn numbers. I work extremley hard and have been complemented by different supervisors many times "how quick i learn and far ive come in such a short time etcc"...i almost feel like my hard work is being taken advantage of...

I also work late/closing shifts and have been told that this is very good to prospective supervisors.

Without svr numbers I am currently feeling unfullfilled and bored, I have the same responsibility as the 15yo checkout girls(no offense), and work harder then alot of lazzzzzy operators who earn more per hour than I do. I crave autonomy and self-actualisation, I'm keen to learn and feel as though im not reaching my potential. Every time a control check happens or a customer wants a rain check I hate calling a supervisor, it feels like I should be calling a supervisor to tie my shoe laces as well... plus i already know how to do these things and I know all the policies, I've even studied consumer law at uni for godsake!

Furthermore it would be very practical, as on my friday closing shift and sometimes monday their are no people with numbers apart from the supervisor after 8pm.... so when the supervisor is on their break i have to page them and bother them to do a return/ sell a sim card etc....

Sorrry to rant!!!!! can anyone explain the managers thought process when they issue people with svr numbers?

And is it true only a certain number of people at front end can have numbers? like a quota?
do they wait for people with numbers to leave before they issue more to existing staff?

Thanks in advance!

djhol4

HSC
N/A
hiya,

ok so im 19 and have been working at Woolies for nearly 10 months now and loving it! However, I'm kind of getting a little bored. You see recently some one a year older than me got given supervisor numbers and are now being trained up and given more responsibilities, this person deserves it of course as they are a really hard worker have been working for 6 months longer than I have. But its made me realize how much I would also like to earn numbers. I work extremley hard and have been complemented by different supervisors many times "how quick i learn and far ive come in such a short time etcc"...i almost feel like my hard work is being taken advantage of...

I also work late/closing shifts and have been told that this is very good to prospective supervisors.

Without svr numbers I am currently feeling unfullfilled and bored, I have the same responsibility as the 15yo checkout girls(no offense), and work harder then alot of lazzzzzy operators who earn more per hour than I do. I crave autonomy and self-actualisation, I'm keen to learn and feel as though im not reaching my potential. Every time a control check happens or a customer wants a rain check I hate calling a supervisor, it feels like I should be calling a supervisor to tie my shoe laces as well... plus i already know how to do these things and I know all the policies, I've even studied consumer law at uni for godsake!

Furthermore it would be very practical, as on my friday closing shift and sometimes monday their are no people with numbers apart from the supervisor after 8pm.... so when the supervisor is on their break i have to page them and bother them to do a return/ sell a sim card etc....

Sorrry to rant!!!!! can anyone explain the managers thought process when they issue people with svr numbers?

And is it true only a certain number of people at front end can have numbers? like a quota?
do they wait for people with numbers to leave before they issue more to existing staff?

Thanks in advance!

nanakid12

HSC
Hi!

I remember I started working at woolies when I was 14 and a half... it wasn't until just under three years later that I became a supervisor, and I was so relieved when I finally had it. I believe I earned it :)
About a year after I first started (when I was still a cashier) a girl who is three months older than me joined the team. Four months after she started, she was promoted to supervisor: there were some very unhappy frontend workers, especially ones who had just finished school and had been there A LOT longer than her.

So it does depend on your manager I guess, but it's hard to explain their thought process.

It might be worth just talking to the current supervisors, asking them how things are done, just show an interest in supervising, just that sort of general shit. In my opinion, it's a lot more fun, and most nights it is easy, being a smaller store.

Obviously, with great power comes great responsibility.

If you are not a supervisor, in my opinion, you shouldn't have numbers. If you watch the floor for the supervisors break, and need privileges, the supervisor can print of a barcode which you can use to override control checks and enter the supervisor menu.

Just tell her to sign on, go SVR MENU -> (across to next page) -> ISSUE BARCODE. They then enter their numbers again, and a small barcode will print. You can then use this to override Control Checks and access the supervisor menu.

Your frontend department will fail an audit if cashiers have supervisor numbers.

djhol4

HSC
N/A
yh i believe that the reason they gave the person who is a year older than me numbers was so they could watch the floor on supervisors break and have the training to one day become a supervisor if one of the supervisors left the store. she isnt actually a supervisor just a cashier with privilidges, that what i want to be aswell to just have privilidges and be trained up to one day become one aswell

so is most of it just luck and timing? so as long as your a good worker it well happen eventually? like with you?

also what exactly is an audit? and why would the front end fail one if too many people had numbers?
how often do they have audits?

crazygook

HSC
can anyone here help me, been working for 1 year now at woolies as checkout, what is the best way to get around applying for a transfer?? talk to the store manager first or directly apply to the store that i want to work at?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 22)