The Woolworths Thread (1 Viewer)

subtekjr

HSC
I don't get it :S am I stupid? Haha.

There are rumours going around that our store will be one of the ones closing. So sick of hearing it, no one actually knows anything, it's all just gossip.
Just making a joke about pressing the wrong button on registers and Masters closes haha

General rule for store closures is no one knows which stores are closing until they finalise their decisions and announce it, so just don't engage in it. Rumours can spread all they like, but it's likely your store manager will find out the day he or she tells the managers and workers. People have said my store is going to be a closure, but they haven't announced anything, so how would they know?

Undertides, I would answer that question about the citizens arrest carefully btw, Speed is notorious for trying to dig random things out of workers in this thread, and claims he has some sort of relationship with head office that he won't talk about.

Speed, standard procedure for theft is to notify security who notifies police. Citizens arrests as employees of the company is a very dangerous ground, as it would mean holding down the customer, who may press charges against the company for it. I would assume the store followed correct procedure.

subtekjr

HSC
On the security topic, we had an intoxicated customer come in today and abuse our security guard for his race. Was pretty funny watching the security guard stand there like "mate I've heard all this before, the police are on their way, please leave". Like a customer watching said, if our guard is here it's because he wants to work, not because of his skin colour...

Some customers can actually be quite racist.

undertides

HSC
Undertides, I would answer that question about the citizens arrest carefully btw, Speed is notorious for trying to dig random things out of workers in this thread, and claims he has some sort of relationship with head office that he won't talk about.
As a lowly cashier all I can assure you all I did was observe while management dealt with it. It was an impressive haul, though.

We have some pretty racist customers, too. Sometimes the fire alarm door will go off because non-English speaking customers can't read the signs and when the alarm goes off 90% of the time whoever I'm serving will make a comment about "damn foreigners/learn to read English" and expect me to agree. Sorry about/for your security guard, they shouldn't have to deal with that.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Hi everyone,

Quick question- has anyone (customers and/or staff) had any medical episode in your store that required staff intervention and consequently a higher degree of care through the ambulance?

nanakid12

HSC
General rule for store closures is no one knows which stores are closing until they finalise their decisions and announce it, so just don't engage in it. Rumours can spread all they like, but it's likely your store manager will find out the day he or she tells the managers and workers. People have said my store is going to be a closure, but they haven't announced anything, so how would they know?
Yeah well that's right. I found out there's one certain employee that keeps going on about it, and that the other employees that are talking about it are getting their facts from him. I don't think anyone at the store level would know hey. They think they do, but they don't.

I wouldn't say our store is "successful" but then again, i wouldn't say its not successful either. Wage cuts at our service department are crazy though, I don't know how my manager deals with the pressure.

As a lowly cashier all I can assure you all I did was observe while management dealt with it. It was an impressive haul, though.

We have some pretty racist customers, too. Sometimes the fire alarm door will go off because non-English speaking customers can't read the signs and when the alarm goes off 90% of the time whoever I'm serving will make a comment about "damn foreigners/learn to read English" and expect me to agree. Sorry about/for your security guard, they shouldn't have to deal with that.
Nice work on your store management stopping that! The store I'm in currently is in a pre-dominantly white area. I'm used to dealing with racists.

I am completely anti-racism, but if customers drop comments I'll just go "mmm" or something, I don't want to have to argue with some passionate racist because I know I'll lose, and it's easier just to send them on their way.

If they were, however being openly racist to another customer, then I would definitely refuse to serve them and tell them to leave.

Quick question- has anyone (customers and/or staff) had any medical episode in your store that required staff intervention and consequently a higher degree of care through the ambulance?
No.

HSC
Hi everyone!

I've got my first ever shift as a front end supervisor soon. Is there any (serious) tips that anyone could give me?

nanakid12

HSC
Hi everyone!

I've got my first ever shift as a front end supervisor soon. Is there any (serious) tips that anyone could give me?
Well it all depends on what store you're from, but some general tips

* DON'T FORGET OPERATOR BREAKS. I make this one of my priorities. They'll love you for it ;)
* Don't be too strict, but don't be a pushover either. Obviously don't let the "power" of being in charge go to your head or anything, which is the general problem I see with new supervisors, but if someone is doing something that is not on, then don't hesitate to tell them "no".
* Lead by example! No double standards.

Thats about all I can really think of :S

subtekjr

HSC

Good answer. I don't actually know what his deal is with HR or whoever he claims to have a relationship with, but as long as we can assume we'd get in trouble for talking about non-public information with him watching, best not to say anything.

I'll also clarify my comment about people saying my store was closing, this was coming from customers. Rumours spread incredibly quickly in this world, and as I said, the stores will find out when it's announced most likely. Store closures are a long process, and they need to be perfectly sure it's the right choice. Besides, they're opening something like 80 new stores and renewing plenty of others, so it's not like its financial difficulties in the supermarket division, sounds more like relocation of business so stores which are struggling from competition can actually thrive, and areas with untapped market share can gain a Woolworths. Plenty of stores are very close to other stores and would surely be restricting each others profits.

Service department wage cuts seem to be a recurring theme of stores at the moment, our VoC scores are supposedly doing extremely well in terms of queue wait time, yet its only possible because every other department is on Priority One half the day... hopefully we get a budget increase for Front End....

subtekjr

HSC
So... this new rewards system hey? From what I can tell, its $2000 before you get a $10 rebate now on general grocery stuff. I think I would prefer the Dollars balance where Im rewarded for trying other brands... even though the EWD rewards were just overcomplex specials

FrontEndHero

HSC
N/A
This new system is like FlyBuys and people are still complaining. To be honest the way I've always seen supermarkets is that you just go to the one that's closest to you, buy your groceries and go home happy. No need to be rewarded for buying food - this isn't preschool where you need to be rewarded for everything.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Please direct all complaints/suggestions to Woolworths Head Office (Bella Vista).

subtekjr

HSC
Speed, you're like 18, I don't know what your deal is.

Your post history says you're applying for university for next year, making you Year 12 this year.

While I'm sure a student at a high school could have a relationship with head office, I know you most likely don't. So why do you come into this thread and act the way you do? From your history, you're not a bad guy, it would just be nice if you'd quit this act of having a relationship with HO at Woolworths.

HSC
So my first shift as a front end supervisor went well!

However, what's the best way to deal with the following scenario: Customer is rung up to $20.00 and wishes to pay with $20 cash. Operator selects $50.00 cash option (for whatever reason). How would I fix this? I know it's probably a really simple answer, but I couldn't get my head around it when the CSM tried to explain it to me.

BSammy

HSC
So my first shift as a front end supervisor went well!

However, what's the best way to deal with the following scenario: Customer is rung up to $20.00 and wishes to pay with $20 cash. Operator selects $50.00 cash option (for whatever reason). How would I fix this? I know it's probably a really simple answer, but I couldn't get my head around it when the CSM tried to explain it to me.
Just give them the receipt and if they ask, just explain that the wrong button was pressed and they aren't actually owed the $30 change.

because it is all cash, nothing in the register needs fixing.

HSC
Just give them the receipt and if they ask, just explain that the wrong button was pressed and they aren't actually owed the $30 change.

because it is all cash, nothing in the register needs fixing.
Wouldn't that mean the register would be over by a certain amount then?

nanakid12

HSC
Wouldn't that mean the register would be over by a certain amount then?
Nope! It evens out. I can't think of a simple way to explain it but it won't be out.

EDIT: Okay I'll try and explain.

So if in that scenario, the register says the total is $20, it calculates that you've put $50 in the till, and the customer is to receive $30 change. But because the customer has only given you $20, it will even out, because it there is no $30 in the till. If that makes no sense (which i presume it doesn't), just think about it until you get it.

Anyway, so long as the correct change is given in the end, that's all that matters.

Last edited:

HSC
Nope! It evens out. I can't think of a simple way to explain it but it won't be out.

EDIT: Okay I'll try and explain.

So if in that scenario, the register says the total is $20, it calculates that you've put $50 in the till, and the customer is to receive $30 change. But because the customer has only given you $20, it will even out, because it there is no $30 in the till. If that makes no sense (which i presume it doesn't), just think about it until you get it.

Anyway, so long as the correct change is given in the end, that's all that matters.
Awesome! Makes sense now. Thanks guys :)

subtekjr

HSC
What defense do I have against my sixth roster change since November? WALL OF TEXT INCOMING

Started off with this:

T: 11-7
W: 10-7
F: 10-7
S: 10-7

For about two weeks, then my Saturday changed to 6-3, and my short days flipped around. That lasted for about three months, before I went to this:

T: 6-3
W: 6-2
T: 6-2
F: 6-3
S: 6-3

For about two months I think, then this:

T: 9-5
W: 9-6
T: 9-6
F: 9-5
S: 7-4

For like three weeks, then this:

T: 7:30-4:30
W: 8:30-4:30
T: 8:30-4:30
F: 7:30-4:30

Which lasted a month, then this:

T: 7-4
W: 8-4
T: 12:30-9:30
F: 10:30-7:30
S: 10-6

Now, it's been changed to a new 2 week roster, which reads

M: 11:30-8:00
T: OFF
W: 9:00-4:30
T: 1:00-10:00
F: 10:30-7:00
S: 7:00-3:30
S: OFF

T: 7:00-3:30
W: 8:00-4:30

For my new roster, I've got all half hour breaks, and 1 hour breaks on Thursdays. I'm kind of over having my roster changed so often, and I don't like my new roster, it's worse than my current one (the one before it). Can I shut it down at all? No negotiation, just "this is your new roster". I was promised to do like 6 o'clock starts again by my manager. Restrictions I can realistically make are my TAFE classes starting at 5 on Tuesday and Wednesday so they can't make me do past 4:30 on those days.

What can I really do to stop this? I've talked to my manager before my last roster started, and her's and my store manager's answers were basically "suck it up and do it". I've resisted every single change except the one to 6 starts.

BSammy

HSC
What defense do I have against my sixth roster change since November? WALL OF TEXT INCOMING

Started off with this:

W: 10-7
F: 10-7
S: 10-7

For about two weeks, then my Saturday changed to 6-3, and my short days flipped around. That lasted for about three months, before I went to this:

T: 6-3
W: 6-2
T: 6-2
F: 6-3
S: 6-3

For about two months I think, then this:

T: 9-5
W: 9-6
T: 9-6
F: 9-5

For like three weeks, then this:

T: 7:30-4:30
W: 8:30-4:30
T: 8:30-4:30
F: 7:30-4:30

Which lasted a month, then this:

T: 7-4
W: 8-4
T: 12:30-9:30
F: 10:30-7:30
S: 10-6

Now, it's been changed to a new 2 week roster, which reads

T: OFF
W: 9:00-4:30
S: 7:00-3:30

T: 7:00-3:30
W: 8:00-4:30

For my new roster, I've got all half hour breaks, and 1 hour breaks on Thursdays. I'm kind of over having my roster changed so often, and I don't like my new roster, it's worse than my current one (the one before it). Can I shut it down at all? No negotiation, just "this is your new roster". I was promised to do like 6 o'clock starts again by my manager. Restrictions I can realistically make are my TAFE classes starting at 5 on Tuesday and Wednesday so they can't make me do past 4:30 on those days.

What can I really do to stop this? I've talked to my manager before my last roster started, and her's and my store manager's answers were basically "suck it up and do it". I've resisted every single change except the one to 6 starts.
you should be able to block it using this rule from the agreement

"4.6.2 Part Time Employees

4.6.2.2 An employee shall be provided 2 consecutive days off in a week (normally
working 5 days each week) or 3 consecutive days in a fortnight (normally
working a 6/4 roster). "

the new one doesn't comply with that clause, and if you don't agree to that, then it's not a lawful contract.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)