The Woolworths Thread (2 Viewers)

BSammy

HSC
also have handy "4.5.2 The Company will not frequently vary the employee's roster"

i don't know exactly how they would define 'frequent' if you're in the union (you should be if they're messing your roster around like this) then someone there might be able to say whether this applies to your situation, and give you some more weight with the argument in the above post.

subtekjr

HSC
Beautiful, I'll definitely use that one. The hours don't suit me anyway, I haven't been happy with a roster since my 4:30 finish roster.

I'd hope 7 rosters in 10 months counts as frequent, but at least I can block this new day setup if I can't stop the hours being changed.

My manager discussed having 6 oclock starts again, as well as doing a 6/4 roster to give me a Saturday, then drops that one on me, without any discussion. Management knows I ride my bike home, and I really don't feel safe riding home at 10 at night like they want me to.

EDIT: How would you suggest I go about bringing it up? Last time I had a roster change, I brought up my grievances, I was told to suck it up, and just approve it in Successfactors. Not wanting it to get worse, I just did it.

Thanks, btw.

Last edited:

nanakid12

HSC
Don't bow to their pressure! If it's unsuitable, then let them know. Certainly don't let them tell you to "suck it up" and agree to it anyway.

Store manager tried changing me from a 5/5 roster to a 6/4, and with my uni schedule it would have been one massive week for me. I certainly didn't accept this contract, I rejected it and renegotiated. Stood my ground and got something that suited me and my bosses.

It's a bit late to go back to your original roster now, but once you negotiate with them to something suitable, don't ever let them tell you to "suck it up". They can be intimidating, but you have to get past that because otherwise they'll just walk all over you. If you're in the union, get onto your union rep to see what your options are.

Anyway I have a question. Big complicated scenario happening on Friday night, CSM is taking personal leave, there is already like no one working at the front, but they won't be replacing her all-day shift. I am contracted operator shift to close the store, the 2ic is supervising the close as well. However, 2ic is going to have to work through the day instead, and they aren't replacing her shift, leaving only me to supervise. Am I entitled to refuse supervising that night? I am sick to death of having customers everywhere, there is going to be no floor staff to call on that night, and no work will get done at all. I think I'll have one operator until 9 and that's it.

I don't know how much longer I can work at this place. My store is such a toxic work environment that continues to spiral downward with each passing week. More and more cuts, more work to do, customers waiting, there's just so much pressure.

EDIT: So according to the online roster, the last operator finishes at 7. Then it's just me, all by myself for 2.5 hours. It actually makes me want to cry.

Last edited:

BSammy

HSC
talk to them when they aren't too busy, something like 'about that roster, i won't agree to it, it's not giving me the right amount of days off in a row according to the agreement, also i think you guys have been changing my roster a bit too frequently. which is also against the agreement.'

if they don't like that, that's when you hope that you're in the union because you can have a formal discussion with a union rep as a witness and all, but no one really wants it to get that far.

subtekjr

HSC
Yeah I'm in the union, and our union rep is happy to sit in in a meeting with my boss about it.

They've changed their mind on the rosters AGAIN, so they've got to work on new sets anyway

mrstripedshades

HSC
When does Woolies usually start hiring a lot of casuals? I'm applying for night fill in the next few days, and am just wondering if i should wait a while cus they dont hire atm or what?

And whats the best process to go about? Just online application first?

subtekjr

HSC
Definitely around October-November time they tend to hire tons of night fill workers.

Dunno about other stores, but we just got approved to start hiring a ton more night fillers, so I'd say contact your local store's night fill manager sometime and just ask. I'm not sure when other stores are open until, but my store closes at 7 most nights, so I'd go in about 6 in that case. Depending on the store, the manager could be there from as early as 1:30 though.

Just go to the service desk and ask to speak to the night fill manager.

Btw, good luck on your ATAR, I got 84.95 last year, doing (WA terms, its changed this year though) 3CDMAT, 3CDMAS, 3ABENG, 3AB Economics and 3AB Religion

FrontEndHero

HSC
N/A
Handful of Christmas casuals are gonna come in sorta soon I would apply late September or early October if I were you.
Also yesterday I worked 3:30-10 in perishables and on the roster it's coming up as 3:30-8:30. Does this mean I'll be shorted in my pay check? I arrived at the store at 3:20 and asked if I could start earlier because I was meant to work 5-10 but I come directly from school and waiting around for an hour and a half is boring.

subtekjr

HSC
I'd say your boss said you're starting at 3:30, and pay office took it as you're doing your 5 hours starting at 3:30 instead of 5. I'm sure they would have put it through properly today. Dunno about your store, but at mine, the office ladies are all gone by 5.

mrstripedshades

HSC
Definitely around October-November time they tend to hire tons of night fill workers.

Dunno about other stores, but we just got approved to start hiring a ton more night fillers, so I'd say contact your local store's night fill manager sometime and just ask. I'm not sure when other stores are open until, but my store closes at 7 most nights, so I'd go in about 6 in that case. Depending on the store, the manager could be there from as early as 1:30 though.

Just go to the service desk and ask to speak to the night fill manager.

Btw, good luck on your ATAR, I got 84.95 last year, doing (WA terms, its changed this year though) 3CDMAT, 3CDMAS, 3ABENG, 3AB Economics and 3AB Religion
Yo! I just found a nightfill opening really close to my house. The job says 7-9 pm. Its sunday tomorrow so I dont really know if it will even be open till that late, but is it a good idea to go in and ask for the manager and hand him my resume?

Just wondering if they will find it annoying since i just submitted my online like 30 minutes ago xd.

I have 0 work experience btw except unpaid work experience at family friends place. Ive written and done a lot of community/volunteer work as well as participated in a lot of skills. Also wrote every software I could think of and that I was physically able and shit lmao

HSC
Fun fact: Woolies have a piece of software called ISIS :O

"In Store Information System"
Not for long haha. I read on Comms that they're soon changing it to "SIS" (Store Information System).

Guess they finally caught on!

mrstripedshades

HSC
got a text telling me to call them and this lady had like a 3 minute chat then told me she'll forward my application to the manager.

heres hoping i get a reply this week but unlikely

undertides

HSC
Not for long haha. I read on Comms that they're soon changing it to "SIS" (Store Information System).

Guess they finally caught on!
I was wondering when they would. I half cringe, half laugh every time I see it on the Front End computer.

Last edited:

HSC
I was wondering when they would. I half cringe, half laugh every time I see it on the Front End computer.
It's a bit awkward when explaining it to customers too. "Why is ISIS on the computer?" :blink2:

Flash Delirium

HSC
N/A
Why were stores asked to take down the v-headers from the back ends of aisles? I feel sorry for all the stores with ugly looking middle ends now.

astroman

HSC
So anyone know when and how to get my employee discount card? Some people say you get it after probation whilst others got it first day on the job. I've passed my 3 month probation just recently. Also what the hell is capping? When they say check the capping when stocking. lmao

vision53

HSC
N/A
So anyone know when and how to get my employee discount card? Some people say you get it after probation whilst others got it first day on the job. I've passed my 3 month probation just recently. Also what the hell is capping? When they say check the capping when stocking. lmao
Capping is the stock sitting on the very top of the shelves. Ask one of your friendly co-workers, they will help you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)